Welcome to 4GTuner
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

How to use a evo 1,2 iron head transfer case in your vr4 gearbox

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Mirage-cyborg

Mirage-cyborg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

So you have a 22 spline output shaft on your vr4 gearbox? You want have the much stronger 23 spline iron head transfer case?

It's really easy to do - if you've got the mechanical skill to change a flat tire you should be able to manage this! 

What you need to do is: unbolt the end casing of the gearbox (you can even do it with the 'box still in the car) remove the circlip that holds the viscous unit (big round thing) on, then pull the viscous unit off - catch the ball bearing that holds the shaft in place, then you can simply push the shaft inwards, and remove it from the other end of the gearbox (there's just enough room before it hits the sump) then take the shaft from your old vr4 box and slide it into place from the same side (engine side of gearbox), once it's in place, fit the ball bearing into place and push the viscous unit back on, refit the circlip, then apply a bead of sealant around the end casing and bolt it back into place.

I personally have not done this yet but will be giving it a go soon and i will update you how i go.

IV noticed that my transfer case has the 23 spline steal head on the old alloy body of the transfer case.

This is on my c83a cyborg.

bazeng

bazeng

Gday maaaate

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,899 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
Good write up.

I'll be doing mine shortly..

Mirage-cyborg

Mirage-cyborg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

10632800_10153917831691850_7333434746571

Remove this cir-clip and pull that bearing off

15032739_10153917831651850_8798202203228

and this will slide right out

15027480_10153917831601850_4053721137385

Watch out for the little locator ball bearing that will fall out from the transfer case side..

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts
  • LocationBuddhist Temple NSW
Better known as the "detent ball " ^ its approx 8mm in size and if its not in place the output shaft can move back and forth and will leak from the seal
[qoute name="BMGTZ" post="331212" timestamp="1467451744"]I don't know anything ...
Trust in the master of taxis.... He will set you straight[/quote]

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts
  • LocationBuddhist Temple NSW
Also...thats not a "bearing" its the viscous coupling. FYI
[qoute name="BMGTZ" post="331212" timestamp="1467451744"]I don't know anything ...
Trust in the master of taxis.... He will set you straight[/quote]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users