Welcome to 4GTuner
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

No boost leaks, but low vacuum

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

LumpyVR4

LumpyVR4

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • LocationSydney

Hey all, this one has me stumped. My idle vacuum sits around 7 in hg and I have no idea why.

I have boost leak tested to 25psi and the pressure holds fine. The car drives fine with the Meek chip it came with, but I'm trying to get ECMlink going and I'm sure this is making things harder than they should be.

Most of my vacuum lines are gone. I only have the two off the manifold, and the booster. Everything else is capped.  EGR is sealed. I have tried removing and capping the booster feed, and clamping the vacuum lines to the WG and FPR in case there is a leak that seals under boost. I've also replaced the biss oring and tried the finger over the hole test. None of this makes any difference.

My cams are a mystery as the specs have disappeared through previous owners. With them straight up the idle is a little rough, and if I close the LSA by a degree of intake advance it becomes a full rump. I tried splitting the LSA by 6 degrees and it had zero effect on the idle vacuum although it did idle like stock.

I've done a compression test (which I should redo because the engine was cold) but all cylinders were around 135. Engine does not blow smoke or pop its dip stick under boost.

Next thing to try is squirt a little WD40 here and there to see if that shows any vacuum leaks.

At this point I'm open to any suggestions as to why my idle vacuum is so low / how to find the leaks?

ECM Link, 399 MAF, 560cc injectors, 270 cams, TD05-20G @22psi, 3" dump, full 3" mandrel exhaust, intercooler, Fidanza alloy flywheel, 4 bolt LSD, EVO IV brakes, Strut braces, coil overs and sway bars.

Cranked

Cranked

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,237 posts
  • LocationWollongong
Big cams will affect vacuum as there can be small overlap. My car is generally 10-12psi at idle.
GSR Lancer- JE-73-VO, 11.701@125mph, 1.79 60" and getting faster. No:3 conrod now orbiting the moon.

vr401

vr401

4G63T

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 929 posts
  • LocationSydney

135 compression is a bit too low for vr4 ???

timing at idle will affect vacuum. Bigger cams require a bit more timing at idle too. And idle should be around 900rpm on bigger cams.

Cheers

Lancer Evolution 7 GSR '01

LumpyVR4

LumpyVR4

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • LocationSydney

The compression test figures are low, but the engine was dead cold, so I should redo it at normal operating temp. I believe it should be around 145 - 155 fully warmed up.

My idle is 1000 rpm. The base timing is dead on 5.

I'll try adding a little timing into my map in ECMlink when I get a chance and see what happens.

ECM Link, 399 MAF, 560cc injectors, 270 cams, TD05-20G @22psi, 3" dump, full 3" mandrel exhaust, intercooler, Fidanza alloy flywheel, 4 bolt LSD, EVO IV brakes, Strut braces, coil overs and sway bars.

CLuTZ

CLuTZ

Diamonds are forever....

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,120 posts
  • LocationMelbourne VIC

Might be a silly question, but where is your gauge tapped into?

LumpyVR4

LumpyVR4

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • LocationSydney

Never know, I might have had it wrong forever.

All of the points on the throttle body are capped. Pressure gauge and FPR are off one of the two vacuum points at the top of the intake runners, and the waste gate and BOV are off the other one. That's it. While googling I came across this, which is the way I have my vacuum, apart from having my crank vent hooked to the manifold still, and my MBC is a bleed rather than block type.

Emissions4.gif

Edited by LumpyVR4, 11 October 2016 - 10:40 PM.

bazeng

bazeng

Gday maaaate

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,899 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
I think the Tb has 1 nipples that is open. Which can be used for the Bov / Guage.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users