Welcome to 4GTuner
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Intake manifolds.

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Ross Cox

Ross Cox

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • LocationBrisbane...Northside
G'day. I have fitted my VR4 throttle body to, I think, a n/a manifold on my EVO head on the rally car. I made an aluminium plate to cover the larger triangle shape air bleed hole. Any thoughts? Ross

CLuTZ

CLuTZ

Diamonds are forever....

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,120 posts
  • LocationMelbourne VIC

Hey Ross, you mean the Exhaust Gas Recirculator (EGR) right? I have heard of guys cutting aluminum cans using a template to delete the EGR. Supposedly 4G37 intake manifolds have OEM block off plates mounted on them too. If you can find one. 

Also IIRC Aldo (Rockabilly) used to manufacture these and FAIV block off plates. I actually need one of each myself if you are reading this Aldo

Group buy? lol

Edited by CLuTZ, 20 July 2016 - 10:22 PM.

VIN18M

VIN18M

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts
  • LocationSydney

My manifold on the 93t had this section welded up, but you should be able to block it off with a metal plate and paper gasket in between.

Ross Cox

Ross Cox

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
Gasket
The gasket I made looks like this one.
Cheers
Ross

bazeng

bazeng

Gday maaaate

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,899 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
Hey Ross.. Evo head has small ports. Vr4 NA manifold would be large port. I world double check that the ports match up

Ross Cox

Ross Cox

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
G'day Baz. Yes, small port head and small port manifold. The cyclone manifold had the vacuum port all set properly but the large ports from the cyclone manifold were slamming into the small port head. Will be interesting, when I get it back together, to see if there is a performance difference.

Edited by Ross Cox, 21 July 2016 - 12:03 PM.

Starion VR4 Derek

Starion VR4 Derek

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationBurrum Heads

G'day Baz. Yes, small port head and small port manifold. The cyclone manifold had the vacuum port all set properly but the large ports from the cyclone manifold were slamming into the small port head. Will be interesting, when I get it back together, to see if there is a performance difference.

There will be Ross.

Ross Cox

Ross Cox

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

MMM, I was told by someone to advance the exhaust cam one tooth on the cam belt for better performance. Lost 11kw at the wheels. I hope you are correct Derek. Hehe

Starion VR4 Derek

Starion VR4 Derek

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationBurrum Heads

MMM, I was told by someone to advance the exhaust cam one tooth on the cam belt for better performance. Lost 11kw at the wheels. I hope you are correct Derek. Hehe

1 tooth... mate who gave you that bit of BS? (remember I ground cams for 11years at Camshaft Engineering) I know you have adjustable ones, honestly the best bet is to go see Ian at Motec & run it on the dyno, then move the cams 2deg each way one at a time & see what works best... there will be a sweet spot for your configuration, this is the only true way to get max power. If Ian wants I can assist with moving cams etc... Ian will be happy as we have worked before on Craigs Engine.

Edited by Derek, 22 July 2016 - 07:30 AM.

Cranked

Cranked

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,237 posts
  • LocationWollongong
U could get a sonata intake. Small port and no cyclone valve work
GSR Lancer- JE-73-VO, 11.701@125mph, 1.79 60" and getting faster. No:3 conrod now orbiting the moon.

Ross Cox

Ross Cox

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

1 tooth... mate who gave you that bit of BS? (remember I ground cams for 11years at Camshaft Engineering) I know you have adjustable ones, honestly the best bet is to go see Ian at Motec & run it on the dyno, then move the cams 2deg each way one at a time & see what works best... there will be a sweet spot for your configuration, this is the only true way to get max power. If Ian wants I can assist with moving cams etc... Ian will be happy as we have worked before on Craigs Engine.

G'day Derek.

Both the aftermarket adjustable cam gears on the engine had a crack through 1 of the 4 spokes in the gear. I now have standard cam gears and EVO 3 cams, so I will just put it back together as is and when I can afford to I will replace the cam gears with adjustable ones and go from there. I usually get the car tuned by Bill at CnJ Motorsport.

Cheers

Ross

Blanking plate
Manifold End

Edited by Ross Cox, 22 July 2016 - 11:15 PM.

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts
  • LocationBuddhist Temple NSW
Ross..I have a brand new set of cam gears if your interested...they are good quality and a good price to match!

Pm if interested?
[qoute name="BMGTZ" post="331212" timestamp="1467451744"]I don't know anything ...
Trust in the master of taxis.... He will set you straight[/quote]

MDK87

MDK87

Hyundai's can't fly!!

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,364 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

When you swing by for the oil cooler I'll take you for a spin in my car Ross. VR4 head + cyclone (setup properly) and stock ign map, very responsive.
I've heard of people moulding the cyclone runners using high temp filler material and port matching to the evo head. Would be interesting to see how such a combo would turn out. 
I've got mine hooked up to an adjustable trigger. Will set the final threshold based on torque curve when I get it on the dyno, but there is definitely a difference the butt dyno is able to discern. 

Triggering it manually (opening the short runners) results in 150RPM drop at idle. So it is definitely increasing VE at low engine speed. 

Edited by MDK87, 26 July 2016 - 11:42 AM.

bazeng

bazeng

Gday maaaate

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,899 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
I'm planning to make use of this function on the AMG also...

Currently fully open...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users