Welcome to 4GTuner
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

E85worth the hassle ??

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

OLDIE

OLDIE

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 694 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

I have been wondering if E85 will give me trouble seeing that I only use it for track and street sprints and if it will cause any blockages or take on water sitting in the shed  between events as I would have to travel app 1/2 hour each way to fill jerry cans and would I need to check that it is really 85% ethanol every fill ??.

Any real world experiences appreciated.

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts
  • LocationBuddhist Temple NSW
Best thing I ever did..once you go e85 you will never go back.
And the smell....oh yeah!!
[qoute name="BMGTZ" post="331212" timestamp="1467451744"]I don't know anything ...
Trust in the master of taxis.... He will set you straight[/quote]

VIN18M

VIN18M

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts
  • LocationSydney
I couldn't recommend it enough. I take two 20l jerry cans that I bought from Kmart for $20 each every time I fill up. Car sits for probably 2-3 weeks between drives and all seems to be fine with it, haven't had any issues with the fuel sitting in the cans or in the tank.
I only use my car on weekends and it's hardly a race car, but considering it's just used for a bit of fun I made the decision to go full e85 as my ecu doesn't allow for a flex sensor/flex fuel.
The torque you pick up with an e85 tune is unreal and makes it very worth it. And if you do get worried there are treatments you can run to eliminate water/clogged injectors that are e85 friendly. I believe United is the only "true" e85 available in Australia and that's what my car has been tuned in, so I always stick to their fuel to be safe.

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts
My car spends a lot of time in shed between runs too...and Ive never had issues.
I tend to run a few litres of 98 through it occasionally just to clean shit out.
The power and timing you can add just from using this stuff is crazy!
You will need to upgrade your injectors and possibly your fuel pump but it will be 100% worth it.
We are talking 40-70kws extra depending on mods, tuner etc etc.

Just do it.
[qoute name="BMGTZ" post="331212" timestamp="1467451744"]I don't know anything ...

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts
Be careful with those fuel additives Vinnie...Ive seen mine run lean a few times after using that shit...better to run about 8 litres of 98 through it while staying off boost to clean the system out.

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts
Oldie...I have to drive an hour each way to get mine...mines not a daily but. But I still do it.
I got a whole heap of plastic jerries from Bunnings and store those off the ground in the garage...never had a drama

VIN18M

VIN18M

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts
  • LocationSydney
Yeah I was scheptical about it so ran it off boost to flush the tank. Unfortunately the 98 trick isn't an option for me with now flex sensor :(

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts
I dont have flex sensor either...mine runs fine on 98...but I stay off boost.

EV0300

EV0300

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts
  • LocationVictoria, Geelong

I was the same before i converted but im glad i did now, for me the car isnt a daily anymore so its no big deal. I also never have anyone in the backseat so i just take 2  20lt cans with me for longer trips, recently did a track day at Winton which consisted of 190km trip upto winton, 1hr+ of track time and then 190km back home took 3 cans with me.

The smell is amazing and doesnt make you feel sick like 98 fumes do and the torque is great.

My advice would be make sure you have e85 friendly injectors and pump, wouldnt also hurt to change the rubber lines to teflon coated ones for piece of mind as e85 attracts moisture it can rust out injectors/pumps over time.

VIN18M

VIN18M

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts
  • LocationSydney

I dont have flex sensor either...mine runs fine on 98...but I stay off boost.

Good to know! Might give that a try next time.

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts
Just drive it like your nonna would!!

EV0300

EV0300

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts
  • LocationVictoria, Geelong

Just drive it like your nonna would!!

switch lanes without a headcheck and drive slow in the right lane? :P

blu3gsR

blu3gsR

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • LocationGladstone
Lol my nan used to drive an rvr.

Oldie I've just put the e85 setup in. Except il be running a flex fuel. As the boys said, such a better fuel. A lot more tuneable, less prone to knocking, smells good and can up the tourque by a long shot.

Although I did have a problem with it sitting in my tank for too long on the gtr. It clogged up my fuel system pretty bad. As evo-gsr said though half a tank of 98 will fix it. And I just started the car once a week to keep it moving and it never happened again.

You won't regret it!

OLDIE

OLDIE

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 694 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Seems like a no brainer so will my 1000cc injectors and 044 pump be up to the job to crack the 400HP barrier  at 20 psi (387 on 98 ATM)

BYBY5L

BYBY5L

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,047 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
Not sure what the 044's are like with e85, sure it will be fine and power wise, the evo has 300kw atw with 1000cc inj.
IMO E85 is worth the hassle indeed, more torque more power, just be sure to flush ya lines to strip the old grime an crap out

bazeng

bazeng

Gday maaaate

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,899 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
E85 is approx 60 percent of hp rating usually. My 1000hp rated pump started losing pressure at approx 600 hp on E85.

leadfoot

leadfoot

• Moderators
  • 3,429 posts
  • LocationGold Coast

I couldn't recommend it enough. I take two 20l jerry cans that I bought from Kmart for $20 each every time I fill up. Car sits for probably 2-3 weeks between drives and all seems to be fine with it, haven't had any issues with the fuel sitting in the cans or in the tank.
I only use my car on weekends and it's hardly a race car, but considering it's just used for a bit of fun I made the decision to go full e85 as my ecu doesn't allow for a flex sensor/flex fuel.
The torque you pick up with an e85 tune is unreal and makes it very worth it. And if you do get worried there are treatments you can run to eliminate water/clogged injectors that are e85 friendly. I believe United is the only "true" e85 available in Australia and that's what my car has been tuned in, so I always stick to their fuel to be safe.

you can get ethanol content sensor kits with guage now that also output a 0-5v signal like a wideband which can be used to sort of jerry rig some flex fuel table magic. at the very lest it will tell you your ethanol content.

yes it's me KHUBNER

blackvr

blackvr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • LocationAdelaide
Absolute no brainer.... I've been running it for 10 years in a variety of turbo cars... you will never go back !

bazeng

bazeng

Gday maaaate

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,899 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
Be careful with those flex fuel sensors.

https://youtu.be/XEPJo1FN32k

BYBY5L

BYBY5L

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,047 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
Thats why mines still on the shelf, didnt realise until i had mine on the door step

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users