Welcome to 4GTuner
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Cause I'm not bright and need a direct answer

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

KEVEN

KEVEN

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationSYD
I have a 4 bolt rear in the car, it's a Viscious diff with a 3.9 final drive. I want to swap from the Viscious to 1.5 way mech lsd.
I have found two options, neither are very cheap, but I have my heart set on doing the conversion. I just want to make sure I'm going to be able to do the conversion, and not be too out of pocket.
There's plenty of 9rs diffs to be found but jaw dropingly exspenive. If I choose this route is it something i will be able to perform my self and just swap over housing & cv's? im unsure if the front/centre diff need to be converted as well.
Also
I can get a 2g lsd from the states with no cv's, this option is a lot cheaper, but I need to know if evo 1-3 inner cv's can be swapped. Both the 2g tel and e1-3 are 94-99 mitsu from what I understand. If I choose this route can anyone verify that e1-3 cv's and 2g dsm diffs are same spline count or whatever? Hoping this would just leave me ontlt needing to do the Crown wheel and pinion swap.
Once again I need advice on viscous centre diffs as to wether the front needs converting to an open mech instead of viscous.
I read someone swapped their e1 viscous for a e3 mech, but they had to Swap their axles from a gsr. ive read as many threads as i can find on the matter but im still not 100% certain of what will work.
Thanks for your help and advice

Edited by KEVEN, 28 April 2016 - 08:30 AM.

Starion VR4 Derek

Starion VR4 Derek

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationBurrum Heads

My Head Hurts... after reading that....

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts
  • LocationBuddhist Temple NSW
Might wanna ask on DSMtuners? They will know more about the DSM side of things and what will and wont work?
[qoute name="BMGTZ" post="331212" timestamp="1467451744"]I don't know anything ...
Trust in the master of taxis.... He will set you straight[/quote]

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts
  • LocationBuddhist Temple NSW

A 2g is a viscous diff if I recall correctly.
For the evo conversion read here
http://www.dsmtuners...housing.467544/

Seems like my suggestion was somewhat on the right track......and "useful"
[qoute name="BMGTZ" post="331212" timestamp="1467451744"]I don't know anything ...
Trust in the master of taxis.... He will set you straight[/quote]

KEVEN

KEVEN

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationSYD

thankyou gsr that thread is very helpful, if i dont find a evo diff at a good price soon im gonna import that 2g lsd unit. hopefully once i find a rear diff, ill manage to post a thread with some photos of what im doing. 

thanks again

brisvr4

brisvr4

• Moderators
  • 4,486 posts
  • LocationBrisbane - Southside
^^ so you are going to waste money removing your viscous LSD to replace it with a viscous LSD from a 2g?

Tim
Dsmlink V3 + E85 :drool: 11.37 @ 131.46 ... still more in her

Remember Kids... Google does not equal research!

Magnus
How much time do you spend in a parking lot with your performance car? If you do a lot of parking lot driving, and hang out in parking lots, chances are you are a ricer, go home and read import tuner. If you’re complaining about noise you should not be modifying your car. You should also consider no longer being a man, please hand in your genitals at the door.

KEVEN

KEVEN

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationSYD

haha no i dont intend to do that, brisvr4. ;) i know you, you've given me a hard time over on the US vr4 forum, sorry that i'm no good at searching through forums mate, and thanks for making me feel inclined to trawl through hundreds fo RE:'s until i figured out how to use their search properly in stead of some simple advice  :thumbsup: in regards to your condescending question, my galant has a Open 4 bolt rear diff, which are very rare to begin with. im not keen on modifying the cars original set of running gear either, so im not considering a vicious lsd insert as an option. even if i swapped my open diff for a 2g open diff, it would be somewhat justifiable as a "propper" 4ws delete. i guess it depends on your definition of wasting money, for me, having a factory, discontnued, spare diff for a car that is somewhat rare, which i want to maintain for years to come, doesnt register as a waste for me. :) also if somehow ive overlooked somthing like "all 2g's have a viscious"  dont hesitate to drop a hint, let me know where im going wrong.. but feel free to continue to laugh at me from a distance if you would like. one day ill be like some of you with a decade+ of experience with this car, when that day comes  and i see a kid who found the menace, old school vr4 with plenty of headaches, and has chosen to spend their $ trying to improve it, im going to do everything i can through here to help that guy. each to their own i guess buddy.

probably broke some forum policy with this post and i apologize. 

Edited by KEVEN, 28 April 2016 - 11:42 AM.

bazeng

bazeng

Gday maaaate

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,899 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
If you have an open 4bolt at the moment you simply need the next lsd unit from an evo 1 2 3 or late model rs. Non ayc. Transfer your crown wheel and install into your existing housing.

Cups off an open and Mech lsd are the same.

How do I know? Coz that is my setup.

bazeng

bazeng

Gday maaaate

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,899 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
Oh. You will need to eliminate your 4ws as the evo Mech lsd does not have the capacity drive the 4ws pump.

Benzo4gT

Benzo4gT

Operator

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,318 posts
  • LocationThe home of unemployed bogans - Hervey bay,

Sounds to me like you're going fit in just fine around these parts ;)

I love VR4s, I'd love to find a nice one and do exactly what you're doing with yours. You can enjoy your car and not have to worry about breaking stuff you can't replace.

Bit of a tool, and owner of "The Turdis" - Hervey Bay

KEVEN

KEVEN

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationSYD

Baz, 10/10 thankyou very much for that, answers that aren't short and sweet can escape me sometimes. 

thanks for making me feel welcomed, id love to help out the community anyway i can in exchange for knowledge and advice, i might even try import some parts one day too.

Benzo4gT

Benzo4gT

Operator

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,318 posts
  • LocationThe home of unemployed bogans - Hervey bay,

If you have an open 4bolt at the moment you simply need the next lsd unit from an evo 1 2 3 or late model rs. Non ayc. Transfer your crown wheel and install into your existing housing.

Cups off an open and Mech lsd are the same.

How do I know? Coz that is my setup.

Would an RVR LSD centre work?

Bit of a tool, and owner of "The Turdis" - Hervey Bay

KEVEN

KEVEN

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationSYD
im not one to enlighten you on the matter benzo, those cars have alot of good upgrade parts but, thought thats for sure. i will add another question to the thread anyway as its probably a no brainer. can the guts of a 3bolt diff be inserted into a 4 bolt diff?

bazeng

bazeng

Gday maaaate

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,899 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
I believe you can but the inner cups are different. You just need to ensure the cups match the diff

Sent from my LG-D802T using Tapatalk

BMGTZ

BMGTZ

Grumpy old man from the school of hard knocks

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,554 posts
  • Locationsouthside of perth WA

I was helping a guy to match up some vr4 parts in my shed...and can confirm the info above about the evo plate fitting. This next bit is a rumour tho...As havent confirmed it. I have been told that the later evo RS such as a 7RS uses the same actual lsd pack as a 1,2&3. It may be that the later diff centres will have less wear.

Edited by BMGTZ, 29 April 2016 - 07:31 AM.

BRIAN
Black evo 1 full road rego and done properly/legally

I have heaps of parts...but never the one I need.

brisvr4

brisvr4

• Moderators
  • 4,486 posts

If you look at your first post mate you will see that you clearly state "I have a 4 bolt rear in the car, it's a Viscious diff with a 3.9 final drive."

Now you inform us that it is actually an open diff, I was replying to that initial statement so please get your facts straight before you decide to have a go at me.

And as far as having a go at you over at the Org, Did I not actually spoon feed you the answer rather than just say search.....

Sorry if I seemed a bit gruff but I've seen newbies come and go too many times after asking simple questions without putting any effort into finding the answer themselves.

Is you user name over there Fletch90?

Tim

Magnus
How much time do you spend in a parking lot with your performance car? If you do a lot of parking lot driving, and hang out in parking lots, chances are you are a ricer, go home and read import tuner. If you’re complaining about noise you should not be modifying your car. You should also consider no longer being a man, please hand in your genitals at the door.

brisvr4

brisvr4

• Moderators
  • 4,486 posts

Would an RVR LSD centre work?

No, rvr axles are too small diameter wise.

Tim

Magnus

MDK87

MDK87

Hyundai's can't fly!!

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,364 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

This thread is hard to follow so I gave up.

I may have a set of 4 bolt shafts coming from USA. Jack's mate fucked up the shipping (thanks Jack) but they should be here in a few weeks.

If you can't find anything by then, PM me and I may be able to help you out.

Also, I've some RVR viscous shafts here and they fit the CE9A plate LSD. You may be able to cut the viscous spline drive off and use the cups on your existing 4 bolt shafts. Or if your viscous rear diff is the same as 2G, you might even get away with lopping yours, but the only way to properly check all that is to have it all laid out in front of you. The easier (costly) option is to just buy DSM 4 bolt shafts and be done with it. 

bazeng

bazeng

Gday maaaate

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,899 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
Dss 1000hp axles is the way to go.

KEVEN

KEVEN

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationSYD

a DE3A rear hub wont work for me?

or stub axle to put it more simply?

Edited by KEVEN, 29 April 2016 - 06:15 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users