Welcome to 4GTuner
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

oil filter keeps coming loose.

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

VR42LT

VR42LT

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 654 posts
  • LocationPerth WA
Guys please any input on this topic greatly appreciated.

So i have always done my own oil and filter changes from hand tightning to a little wrenching just to make sure and not once have i had any dramas, leaks or loose filters.

So why is my heap of shit vr4 just starting to work filters loose!?!? With the latest set up in my car ive had like 5 oil and filter changes with only the last 3 of them starting to work loose the filter.

I got to meet point last time i took it out and noticed a little bit of oil on the groung and you can imagine my horror that i could moved the filter with a flick of my finger. I was up it too on the way there lucky i didnt smoke the motor.

Any help guys would be great.

Wade

brisvr4

brisvr4

• Moderators
  • 4,486 posts
  • LocationBrisbane - Southside
Which oil filter housing are housing Wade? Easy short term fix is put a large hose clamp around the filter and wire it tight!
If you are on the stock aspec filter housing/ cooler then the centre stud that the filter screws on to can come loose.

Tim
Dsmlink V3 + E85 :drool: 11.37 @ 131.46 ... still more in her

Remember Kids... Google does not equal research!

Magnus
How much time do you spend in a parking lot with your performance car? If you do a lot of parking lot driving, and hang out in parking lots, chances are you are a ricer, go home and read import tuner. If you’re complaining about noise you should not be modifying your car. You should also consider no longer being a man, please hand in your genitals at the door.

VR42LT

VR42LT

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 654 posts
  • LocationPerth WA
Hey Tim im on the jap spec oem from meek.

Ive got a hose clamp round it and the block.

Im just not sure why is this happening and if there could be a issue with the engine.

Starion VR4 Derek

Starion VR4 Derek

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationBurrum Heads

HAve you checked you oil pressure? too high will do it.

VR42LT

VR42LT

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 654 posts
  • LocationPerth WA
Thats what i thought so im hooking up the lap top tomorrow.

Thoughts on how to get the pressure down?

bazeng

bazeng

Gday maaaate

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,899 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
Excessive vibrations?
What brand filter?

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts
  • LocationBuddhist Temple NSW
Was thinking of the vibration aspect also ^
[qoute name="BMGTZ" post="331212" timestamp="1467451744"]I don't know anything ...
Trust in the master of taxis.... He will set you straight[/quote]

VR42LT

VR42LT

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 654 posts
  • LocationPerth WA
Ryco filter.

I put a hose clamp on it and did it as tight as i thought it should be not wanting to distort the filter so it was tight but maybe not because after 2 decent squirts i got home checked the filter and it had undone about 10mm. I know this because i drew a line on the filter and the hoseclamp to see if it would move. Ill put a pic up tomorrow.

I have got ralliart rear and front roll stoppers from meek so they are solid and stock side ones, it does vibrate a bit and the dog box banging 8 to gears so maybe vibration?

Cranked

Cranked

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,237 posts
  • LocationWollongong
Maybe hose and like tie wire sorta thing on race cars. Cos race car
GSR Lancer- JE-73-VO, 11.701@125mph, 1.79 60" and getting faster. No:3 conrod now orbiting the moon.

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts
  • LocationBuddhist Temple NSW

Ryco filter.
I put a hose clamp on it and did it as tight as i thought it should be not wanting to distort the filter so it was tight but maybe not because after 2 decent squirts i got home checked the filter and it had undone about 10mm. I know this because i drew a line on the filter and the hoseclamp to see if it would move. Ill put a pic up tomorrow.
I have got ralliart rear and front roll stoppers from meek so they are solid and stock side ones, it does vibrate a bit and the dog box banging 8 to gears so maybe vibration?

I have solid mounts all round in my Evo..and never had a filter come loose?
[qoute name="BMGTZ" post="331212" timestamp="1467451744"]I don't know anything ...
Trust in the master of taxis.... He will set you straight[/quote]

Evo-00x

Evo-00x

4G63T AWD CC COUPE

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,151 posts
  • LocationNewcastle

Me too. Solid Prothane mounts all round and never a loose oil filter, but then again I am using an oil filter relocation kit.

I would be installing an oil pressure gauge ASAP if I were you. You don't want it to come loose and lose oil without your knowledge then seize the engine.

I would be thinking either a) the casting of the oil filter housing isn't machined dead flat; or B) the thread that the oil filter housing threads onto is stripped or damaged. 

Changing the housing is a PITA because you have to get the crank pulley, belts and timing belt cover off ( here's a big fark you to Mitsubishi for a shitty design for oil filter housing and water pump locations).

It would be a big hassle to change it, so I would probably look at an oil filter relocation kit with perhaps a larger oil cooler inbuilt in that setup. My Rides thread shows how I have done mine. Plus the relocation kits usually have a spot to screw in an oil pressure gauge and oil temp gauge.

Then on the oem oil filter housing itself, Loctite the relocation kit's sandwich plate onto the bastard so it doesnt come loose off the thread.

That's the easiest way to get out of it without going through the hassle of replacing a possible defective housing.  

AWD. 2 Litre. GTX3076R 0.82.
330kw atw @ 28psi 98 pump fuel.

372kw atw @ 28psi E85 Flexfuel.
EVOLVED AWD COUPE
WWW.EVOCOUPE.NET

VR42LT

VR42LT

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 654 posts
  • LocationPerth WA
Cheers guys awesome response much appreciated.

I have this housing rob

Screenshot_2016-04-09-02-00-00_zps27unnm

It is new unless its blocked or something is broken inside, i kinda wana take it off to check it out.

See the -8 ports on the side of the housing, thats where my oil cooler is fed from. Again pics tomorrow.

bazeng

bazeng

Gday maaaate

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,899 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
Next time. Tighten the crap out of it with your grip. Hard as you can. You won't distort it unless you are built like Arnold. Ensure you have lubricated the seal.

Sent from my LG-D802T using Tapatalk

OLDIE

OLDIE

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 694 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

FWIW I have a hose clamp around my filter with a wire to the block to stop it coming loose as a precaution.

My sump plug is wired as well.

Starion VR4 Derek

Starion VR4 Derek

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationBurrum Heads

Thats what i thought so im hooking up the lap top tomorrow.

Thoughts on how to get the pressure down?

You need no more than 60-70PSI at 7000RPM, any more your wasting power & washing your bearings, Check it. I have made my relief valve adjustable so I can adjust oil pressure on my engines (every engine is different, I do remove the balance shafts & depending on bearing clearance oil pressure is always different). So start with that.

Excessive vibrations?
What brand filter?

If vibrations were the problem it would of shook your harmonic balance apart 1st before the oil filter & It would of broke more bits like water pump & pulleys.... Think vibration isn't the cause.

VIN18M

VIN18M

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts
  • LocationSydney
I'd try a different brand filter. Had an issue with my 93 where the filters wouldn't bite onto the thread when you tightened them, had one fly off on startup in the garage and was lucky to shut the engine off before doing any damage.
Turned out to be two different types of z411 from ryco, one with the thread deeper into the top of the filter, same part number and visually almost identical.

Might not be your problem, but for $12 for a filter it's worth investigating.

VIN18M

VIN18M

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts
  • LocationSydney
Here's the thread...

http://www.4gtuner.c...e/?fromsearch=1

BMGTZ

BMGTZ

Grumpy old man from the school of hard knocks

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,554 posts
  • Locationsouthside of perth WA

over the years Ive had a lot of cars come to me for servicing that have had clamps on the filters....BUT, and without bias ..as I recall they were  6 bolts and mostly in VR4s. The last was on a car I currently own. I will have a look at the filter thread to see in it has worn as the engine that was in it now isnt.

BRIAN
Black evo 1 full road rego and done properly/legally

I have heaps of parts...but never the one I need.

Ross Cox

Ross Cox

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • LocationBrisbane...Northside

G'day I use Hard Driver filters on my rally VR4. http://parkerperform...te/html/oil.htm

They are the same height as genuine, but fatter. More surface area to the filter medium.

Never had a loosening problem. Seat the filter plus 1/4 turn.

Cheers

Ross

ENGINR

ENGINR

Wannabe Racer

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,061 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Not wanting to come across as asking a stupid question - but have you confirmed that the seal/part of the seal from an earlier filter isn't stuck on the housing and creating a soft joint between your new filter and housing?

"I got an idea, an idea so smart my head would explode if I even began to know what I was talking about." - Peter Griffin

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users