Welcome to 4GTuner
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

"The StormTrooper" - Hillclimb/Motorkhana Special: CB Lancer GSR

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

ENGINR

ENGINR

Wannabe Racer

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,061 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

I've always wanted to try a bit of motorkhana/hillclimb driving but never wanted to do it in the Coupe (as it's been developed primarily for high-speed Circuit work).

I was lucky enough to get permission to purchase a cheap car to try such driving events and this little beauty came up for sale on this very forum, so after a couple of messages and phone calls with the owner, BRUSHED and I took a drive yesterday and had a look.

Suffice to say we were both impressed with what it had to offer, especially for the price, so a deal was made and one unregistered vehicle permit later I was driving it home.

Plan is to tidy it up a little bit, but not spend any unnecessary money or time on it, as the main focus needs to stay on the Coupe - only modifications will be to add some bonnet pins, a battery indicator sticker and relocate the fire extinguisher (yes! it came with a fire extinguisher!!) from the boot to the cabin and then get stuck into some skid-pan/hillclimbing/dirt work.

Specs are (some taken straight from the For Sale post):

FWD Lancer GSR with JDM 4G61T with stock TD04 turbo

King springs all round (lowered 25 mm) - but we all agree it sits lower than 25mm!! Feels really firm on the road

Koni shocks allround (adjustable front)

2 1/4 inch exhaust from turbo back - has a really nice note to it actually

Supra Intercooler

2 inch intercooler piping to manifold

Heavy Duty Clutch - pedal is quite heavy, might need to take a look at the clutch setup at some point, but that's too much like hard work at this point!

Bonus bits not mentioned were the rear whiteline swaybar and front strut brace!!

It needs a new battery as the previous owner hadn't driven it since December and it just won't hold enough charge to start the car, but for now the jumper pack will suffice!  Might also relocate the boost gauge to up on the dash (who doesn't want to see proof of "fully sic BOOST"!?) and strip the carpet.  I have a spare EVO1 steering wheel that I will probably install once I get a universal boss kit and have a genuine Ralliart gear knob that might just have to go on - well - because I can :D!

Attached Thumbnails

• 247178_10209182716548639_6743589974084593670_n.jpg
  • 12803134_10209182707348409_761209161153952240_n.jpg
  • 12805702_10209182707308408_957446878399299653_n.jpg
  • gallery_6383_80_365768.jpg
  • gallery_6383_80_422189.jpg

Edited by ENGINR, 03 April 2016 - 08:22 AM.

"I got an idea, an idea so smart my head would explode if I even began to know what I was talking about." - Peter Griffin

BYBY5L

BYBY5L

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,047 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
Ahh so you brought it! And whats this about "permission" haha,
should be fun anyway, cheap motorsporting is the best

ENGINR

ENGINR

Wannabe Racer

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,061 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
Emphasis being "cheap. Had to lash out $21 for a pair of bonnet pins! OUCH!

Edited by ENGINR, 14 March 2016 - 06:19 AM.

"I got an idea, an idea so smart my head would explode if I even began to know what I was talking about." - Peter Griffin

ENGINR

ENGINR

Wannabe Racer

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,061 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
New set of 15" rims acquired.

Attached Thumbnails

• $_74.JPG

VIN18M

VIN18M

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts
  • LocationSydney
They'll look great on the CB, are they the ones from Wollongong way? If so they arrived quick!

ENGINR

ENGINR

Wannabe Racer

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,061 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Nah - the Wollongong guy never got back to me, was able to pick these up from another gumtree seller on the way home from work on Thursday.  I reckon you're right - I can't wait to see how good they will look on the CB!

I'm starting to like this little car more than I anticipated....

ENGINR

ENGINR

Wannabe Racer

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,061 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Spent a little bit of time today just doing some pissy-odd jobs on the CB to get it CAMS regs compliant for my hillclimbing adventures.  Added a battery triangle sticker and put some clear tape on the headlamps and then electrical taped a X on them, just "Because Racecar".

Added instant "Racecar/Rallycar/HillClimb/Street Cred" by installing my genuine Ralliart gearknob (it lives on George!!)

Ditched about 600kg by removing the towbar (it came with a towbar!?!?!?) and heavy-duty rubber floor mats.

Was also getting a bit sick of the crappy condition the front bumper was in, so after digging around in the cupboard and finding some cans of white and black spray paint, I decided to have a crack at trying to tidy it up.  It's good from afar - but far from good! but it makes the car look a bit neater than what it did so it's not all bad.  Not sure if I should put the red strip back on it or not.

The plan is to spray the trim on all sides of the car - it's in really faded/shitty condition so for a couple of hours of masking and spraying it's worth the outcome IMO.

Attached Thumbnails

• 12524432_10209368874562473_358732499452772757_n.jpg
  • 12321536_10209366889752854_1585451973944955966_n.jpg
  • 12919699_10209366889792855_7944448778748546300_n.jpg

Edited by ENGINR, 27 March 2016 - 08:15 AM.

ENGINR

ENGINR

Wannabe Racer

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,061 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Bit more work on "The StormTrooper" today whilst waiting for tomorrow to get bits for the Coupe.

Some mass reduction by means of removing the carpet and sound-deadening (and found $7 in gold coins in the process!!)

Sprayed all the other side trims on the doors and rear bumper and also did a bit more sticker work. New 15" rims and tyres go on tomorrow then I just need to spray the tow points red, buy and install a 2015 plated fire-extinguisher and a new battery and it'll be ready to go!!

Attached Thumbnails

• 20160328_171016.jpg
  • 20160328_171031.jpg

Edited by ENGINR, 28 March 2016 - 06:34 AM.

VIN18M

VIN18M

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts
  • LocationSydney
Not painting the grille surround?

ENGINR

ENGINR

Wannabe Racer

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,061 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

I'll refresh the grille too, just got to buy some red spray paint tomorrow.

ENGINR

ENGINR

Wannabe Racer

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,061 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
New rims and tyres fitted this evening after work. Very happy with how they suit the CB shape.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20160330_194828.jpg

VIN18M

VIN18M

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts
  • LocationSydney
Nice! Yellow LEDs look good on the dog too ;)

ENGINR

ENGINR

Wannabe Racer

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,061 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
Something like this:

Attached Thumbnails

• 12049654_1542071056094691_297364890582314035_n.jpg

VIN18M

VIN18M

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts
  • LocationSydney
Haha exactly!

How's the performance of this little beast anyway? Always wondered what the 1.6t went like.

ENGINR

ENGINR

Wannabe Racer

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,061 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Have not actually driven it in anger yet!  Just got it home on the unregistered vehicle permit when I purchased it and wasn't that keen on giving it a hiding.  It's a pretty smooth engine and quite responsive to the throttle under normal driving conditions.

Am targeting a hillclimb at Haunted Hills next weekend so that might be the first chance to run it properly.  Was hoping to get it to Winton for a Test n Tune tomorrow but not sure how possible that will be with work.

ENGINR

ENGINR

Wannabe Racer

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,061 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
Couple of shots in the daylight.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20160331_075536.jpg
  • 20160331_075550.jpg

CLuTZ

CLuTZ

Diamonds are forever....

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,120 posts
  • LocationMelbourne VIC

Looks good Shayne! Good to see it still on the road :thumbsup:

I have a complete white 4G61 Lancer coming shortly if you need any bits- gimmie a holla.

ENGINR

ENGINR

Wannabe Racer

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,061 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
Hey mate, if it's a GSR i'll be interested in the hatch as i want the reflectors and spoiler - this one has a standard hatch on it.

ENGINR

ENGINR

Wannabe Racer

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,061 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
Maybe even the back right door.....

Evo-00x

Evo-00x

4G63T AWD CC COUPE

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,151 posts
  • LocationNewcastle

Good to see you got the 15" Enkei Oz Racing wheels that came out on the MY07 Velocity Lancer.

They're the same ones I showed you on the other post that I got for my car years ago to chuck slicks on.

Big brand name quality wheels on a low budget  :thumbsup:

Pics and specs for those interested in knowing a bit more about them (same size, PCD and offset specs as the factory EVO I-III OZ Racing wheels)

Attached Thumbnails

• Enkei Oz Racing.jpg
  • Enkei Oz Racing 1.jpg
  • Enkei Oz Racing 2.jpg
  • Enkei Oz Racing 3.jpg
  • Enkei Oz Racing 4.jpg
  • Enkei Oz Racing 5.jpg

AWD. 2 Litre. GTX3076R 0.82.
330kw atw @ 28psi 98 pump fuel.

372kw atw @ 28psi E85 Flexfuel.
EVOLVED AWD COUPE
WWW.EVOCOUPE.NET