Welcome to 4GTuner
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Cooling methods

- - - - - cooling

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

Benzo4gT

Benzo4gT

Operator

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,318 posts
  • LocationThe home of unemployed bogans - Hervey bay,

I'm going to be putting in my (Aldo) auto box soon and have a cooling dilemma waiting to happen with my build. I am going to use a cc lancer A/C condenser as the cooler which is fine, but..........my  RVR build runs a W/A setup as some have seen already, this uses (you guessed it) a cc lancer A/C condenser as the radiator, which means the car has, from front to back, the W/A rad.,  A/C condenser, and then the radiator. I have made skirts for these so all the air gets channelled through them.

I fabricated all this up to suit an SG/SSG so it fits behind the std bumper and nudge/bull bar which was done on the (now) parts car.

The car all this is going into is my white HSG, which has a remote filter in the left wheel arch as well as an engine oil cooler in between the A/C condenser and radiator. The existing std front mount intercooler when removed will give me room to fit a trans cooler and W/A radiator. 

Which means it will be - W/A rad->A/C condenser->engine oil cooler->trans cooler->radiator This concerns me! It was quite a task to fit the W/A radiator in the SG, I had to really thin things, the radiator support was made from a front window actuator channel to save space so I could fit it all together. I'm not sure it will all fit even behind the HSG bar, and to make it even more of a challenge I plan to fit the SG front on to it!

In traffic with a re-stalled converter and the A/C on in the QLD summer heat I can envision an overheating issue.

I want to keep the cc lancer A/C condenser as the trans cooler because it's huge and will do the job well, but adding it between the other 3 seems redundant as the heat in the air getting to it will not make it as efficient and I may as well have a smaller cooler in the front wheel arch, which I think is too small plus the left arch has the remote oil filter in it, and the right arch is where I have my air filter.

I am trying to work out a plan for mounting it under the rear of the car where the spare tyre would go on the early 4-stud RVR models, I'd have to make some ducts and satisfy myself that it's safe from stones etc. plus thermo fan, sensor and maybe a PWM.................unless another option works that will put my mind at ease regarding trans heat build up.

What coolers do you guys with Aldo boxes and re-stalled/hi-stall converters run, and have you got a temp gauge on them? Any heat issues when stalling up to full boost on the line? What has the filter/oil looked and smelled like after an oil change?

Bit of a tool, and owner of "The Turdis" - Hervey Bay

jack be nimble

jack be nimble

master of none

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,299 posts
  • Locationperth sor. 20 mins from brians place
You could top mount it under the bonnet scoop.
4g93t jumbuck conversion. PRANGED 18/3/12, CHECK MY MEMBER RIDES Page 11. no serious human injuries.
ON THE ENGINE STAND. g4cs 2.4l + Gt35r. PLUS: auto conversion + Awd coming.
thanks for parts and help: BMGTZ, EVOCPE, cwolf, Benozi, Jamo-GSR, 1JUM2NV, RXVII..much appreciated, cheers guys.
Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. —Enzo Ferrari
REMEMBER: you cant polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter.

Benzo4gT

Benzo4gT

Operator

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,318 posts

I don't have a scooped bonnet, and I don't really want to run one. It would get in the way of all the other parts anyway, there is very little room under the bonnet with all the piping and the W/A cooler.

VIN18M

VIN18M

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts
  • LocationSydney

I see a lot of guys in the states running oil coolers under the car on a very slight angle to ensure they pick up cool air. You could always run a thermo fan on the front of the core too, the shroud should help protect it against damage from flying rocks etc.

bazeng

bazeng

Gday maaaate

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,899 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
Water to air it.

In series after your intercooler.

Benzo4gT

Benzo4gT

Operator

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,318 posts

I've seen what it does to radiator temps on Mo's, I think I'll give that a miss, I don't think having my intercooler water boiling would be desirable.

bazeng

bazeng

Gday maaaate

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,899 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
Why not run it after your intercooler. This means ic gets the cold water. The auto gets the water after. You do have a heat exchanger don't you? And a large tank?

BYBY5L

BYBY5L

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,047 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

You could top mount it under the bonnet scoop.

Does makes it hard to work on the engine, I have to set the tps and to do it is a pita, I hate my top mount,
As vin said remote cooler? Maybe behind fuel tank? Otherwise maybe move the filter an slap one in the corner?

jack be nimble

jack be nimble

master of none

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,299 posts
There is a autospeed article about cool8ng and ducting and how to site radiators...
4g93t jumbuck conversion. PRANGED 18/3/12, CHECK MY MEMBER RIDES Page 11. no serious human injuries.
thanks for parts and help: BMGTZ, EVOCPE, cwolf, Benozi, Jamo-GSR, 1JUM2NV, RXVII..much appreciated, cheers guys.

Benzo4gT

Benzo4gT

Operator

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,318 posts

Why not run it after your intercooler. This means ic gets the cold water. The auto gets the water after. You do have a heat exchanger don't you? And a large tank?

I do see your point, but I built it to be like having a winters night at the flick of a switch, which mean it won't be pumping all the time.

jack be nimble

jack be nimble

master of none

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,299 posts
http://www.autospeed...Part-1&A=113176

here you go^
Just thinking about how he tests for pressure differentials to check for flow across a radiator. Maybe something useful in there

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts
  • LocationBuddhist Temple NSW
Interesting article ^
[qoute name="BMGTZ" post="331212" timestamp="1467451744"]I don't know anything ...
Trust in the master of taxis.... He will set you straight[/quote]

Benzo4gT

Benzo4gT

Operator

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,318 posts

They always have good articles Autospeed.

I'll be putting the cooler at the rear of the car behind the diff with some ducting a full shroud with some thermo fans............................stay tuned ;)

jack be nimble

jack be nimble

master of none

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,299 posts
He has another for siting heat exchangers but i think its mostly covered in the above articles. I have a digital dual manometer, it records peaks and differentials. Good for study of mammarys too

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts
  • LocationBuddhist Temple NSW
I like mammarys....
[qoute name="BMGTZ" post="331212" timestamp="1467451744"]I don't know anything ...
Trust in the master of taxis.... He will set you straight[/quote]

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cooling

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users