Welcome to 4GTuner
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

VR4 speedo drive

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

NickVR4

NickVR4

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationEmu Plains NSW

Awesome, i might hit up a wrecker and see what I can find. Unless anyone knows where they can be purchased new?

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts
  • LocationBuddhist Temple NSW
Mitsubishi would be my first suggestion.
[qoute name="BMGTZ" post="331212" timestamp="1467451744"]I don't know anything ...
Trust in the master of taxis.... He will set you straight[/quote]

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts
Just get a VIN from a Mirage or similar on Carsales or Ebay and use that?
[qoute name="BMGTZ" post="331212" timestamp="1467451744"]I don't know anything ...

Evo-00x

Evo-00x

4G63T AWD CC COUPE

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,151 posts
  • LocationNewcastle

So to use this with e6 ecu in early Evo.....how would one go about it Rob?
Considering the early Evo doesnt have the plug for that drive in the loom.

You would need to run an earth and 5v ignition power source to the electronic speedo drive plug. The 3rd wire will need to be split into 2 wires. One going to an aftermarket electronic speedo gauge retrofitted into your dash, and the other wire going to the factory EVO 6 ECU, which is a good chance of reading the pulses directly from the speedo drive (CE Mirage/ EVO 6/ same family). However, it is unknown how much out of calibration it may or may not be due to the number of teeth on the speedo drive and the front diff ratio. The ECU may think the car is doing a completely different speed to what it is 'actually' doing on the road. Therefore you would need to recalibrate the signal going to the EVO 6 ECU via an interface box that allows you to speed up or slow down the pulse rate to tell the ECU the "REAL SPEED" the car is 'actually' doing - a calibration.

On the other hand, say you had an aftermarket Haltech ECU... you would only need to send the signal to the ECU, calibrate it within the ECU software, then run a CAN connection cable from the ECU to a HALTECH IQ3 Display Dash cluster which obviously has an electronic speedo built into it amongst other things. 

I have never done it either way personally as I've always ran the factory cable, but that's how I would imagine it to work with either setup.

AWD. 2 Litre. GTX3076R 0.82.
330kw atw @ 28psi 98 pump fuel.

372kw atw @ 28psi E85 Flexfuel.
EVOLVED AWD COUPE
WWW.EVOCOUPE.NET

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts
Gotcha. Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users