Welcome to 4GTuner
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

So I blew a headgasket...

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

Siret

Siret

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationSydney

Between 2 & 3. When i was taking the valves out of the head, the first 3 valve springs from the TB side were missing their seats. Once the valves were all out i noticed that every intake valve guide was cracked. To my mind having 3 springs sitting lower than the other 5 would put the geometry of the valve train out possibly pushing the valves through the guides at an incorrect angle and causing guide failure. I've spoken to a few people and some agree, and some seem to think it would make no difference. Just wanted to see what you guys thought.

Also the machinist had to take 30 thou off the bottom of each lifter to get the right clearances. Does anyone know how thick the bottom is on those things or how much can be taken off safely?

MDK87

MDK87

Hyundai's can't fly!!

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,364 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

I'd say they wouldn't make a difference. Pretty sure the spring perches are there to better distribute the compressive force of the spring to prevent the steel embedding itself into the alloy head.
At worst it would cause you to have a lower seat pressure. Perhaps you're thinking too much into it. Just make sure you install all 16 them when you put it all back together.

Also these engines came with hydraulic lifters which should not require manual clearancing (all other things being equal). Unless you're running solid ones, you just bleed them and re-install. 
I once had to grind one down to get my daily running because the valve seat had become badly recessed. 

jack be nimble

jack be nimble

master of none

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,299 posts
  • Locationperth sor. 20 mins from brians place
Someone before you did a timing belt and stuffed a heap of valves. When the valves bend the guides get broken too. They replaced the valves and not the guides.

There is prolly dents in the piston tops still, lol
4g93t jumbuck conversion. PRANGED 18/3/12, CHECK MY MEMBER RIDES Page 11. no serious human injuries.
ON THE ENGINE STAND. g4cs 2.4l + Gt35r. PLUS: auto conversion + Awd coming.
thanks for parts and help: BMGTZ, EVOCPE, cwolf, Benozi, Jamo-GSR, 1JUM2NV, RXVII..much appreciated, cheers guys.
Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. —Enzo Ferrari
REMEMBER: you cant polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter.

doo doo

doo doo

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

In my opinion :

Spring height won't determine valve height, the valve seat does that. If the valve sits too far into the head/too far above the guide then the adjustment to make (to restore rocker arm geometry is to grind a bit off the tip, or install new seats/or new valves/or both. As MO suggested, grinding the lifters shouldn't make a difference if they're hydraulic as they pump up to where the valve sits anyway, agree with him on the seat pressure too. Reckon Jack's on the money for the reason for cracked guides.

Edited by doo doo, 22 September 2015 - 08:02 AM.

didn't have time do do it right but found the time to do it twice....

jack be nimble

jack be nimble

master of none

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,299 posts
100% doo and mo ^
4g93t jumbuck conversion. PRANGED 18/3/12, CHECK MY MEMBER RIDES Page 11. no serious human injuries.
thanks for parts and help: BMGTZ, EVOCPE, cwolf, Benozi, Jamo-GSR, 1JUM2NV, RXVII..much appreciated, cheers guys.

Siret

Siret

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationSydney

Yeah i know a timing belt has been done before, 3 pistons have score marks. The reason i was speculating was i find it hard to believe that the previous owner didn't repair the head properly. Means i've done 27k kms on a rooted head.

Do the lifters have a maximum height once they're pumped up? Mine are hydraulic and if they pump up under oil pressure sort of seems like grinding anything off them would be redundant.

brisvr4

brisvr4

• Moderators
  • 4,486 posts
  • LocationBrisbane - Southside
If it was me I'd be tossing the ground lifters out and buying a new set.
Also, if the machinist can't spot a hydraulic lifter from a solid one I'd be considering a new machinist too!

Tim
Dsmlink V3 + E85 :drool: 11.37 @ 131.46 ... still more in her

Remember Kids... Google does not equal research!

Magnus
How much time do you spend in a parking lot with your performance car? If you do a lot of parking lot driving, and hang out in parking lots, chances are you are a ricer, go home and read import tuner. If you’re complaining about noise you should not be modifying your car. You should also consider no longer being a man, please hand in your genitals at the door.

jack be nimble

jack be nimble

master of none

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,299 posts
Id take 30 thou of the end of one of his fingers with a potato peeler and see it that makes a difference

Edited by eJackulator, 22 September 2015 - 11:45 AM.

jack be nimble

jack be nimble

master of none

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,299 posts
Yes, a lifter pumps up. Its maximum height is the same as when you put them in. They should compress slightly (maybe 1mm?) On the base circle of the cam.
they need to do this or they will rattle as they cant take up the slack.
you might machine the bottom of the lifter if you have a cam with a huge base circle that bottoms the lifter out. Or lifters from something else. Ive never heard of it on a mitsi

jack be nimble

jack be nimble

master of none

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,299 posts
Guys doing v8 run 030 PRELOAD on hydraulic lifters (.8mm) so 1mm was reasonable guess.
now old mate has dressed your lifters, you need to make sure you still have some preload, or replace them. Or put 030 shim under lifter.

jack be nimble

jack be nimble

master of none

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,299 posts
One good thing is the hg wasnt caused by the valve guides.
prior owner may not have seen the cracked guides, its not that much extra to replace them. You will now need to reface valves and relap them in new guides. They may have been rocking around in the guides and not seating properly, knocking about the faces

Siret

Siret

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationSydney

One good thing is the hg wasnt caused by the valve guides.
prior owner may not have seen the cracked guides, its not that much extra to replace them. You will now need to reface valves and relap them in new guides. They may have been rocking around in the guides and not seating properly, knocking about the faces

Valves have been checked and a new 3 angle job on the seats has been done. Would the cracked guides explain why there is oil inside the intake manifold?

If it was me I'd be tossing the ground lifters out and buying a new set.
Also, if the machinist can't spot a hydraulic lifter from a solid one I'd be considering a new machinist too!

He was doing 2 heads for meek the same week i had mine there and he knew perfectly well they were not solid. I'm happy to buy a new set but what should i be looking out for to know for sure? I should get the car running today but you guys have got me worried now. Is it safe to turn over, and is there anything i can check beforehand?

Guys doing v8 run 030 PRELOAD on hydraulic lifters (.8mm) so 1mm was reasonable guess.
now old mate has dressed your lifters, you need to make sure you still have some preload, or replace them. Or put 030 shim under lifter.

Funny you should say that, the guy who did it is part of a top fuel team.

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts
  • LocationBuddhist Temple NSW
So essentially...he should know what he is doing then?
[qoute name="BMGTZ" post="331212" timestamp="1467451744"]I don't know anything ...
Trust in the master of taxis.... He will set you straight[/quote]

Siret

Siret

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationSydney

Yes.

jack be nimble

jack be nimble

master of none

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,299 posts
Oil inside manifold? I see. Is it inside tb also? Is it inside intake side of turbo? Does dipstick pop out after boosting? Does it smell of burnt oil, blow smoke under power, have a dirty bumper on exhaust pipe side? Burns oil between oil changes?
Prolly is....

its blowby from the crankcase. Either worn rings or no catchcan. Have you done a compression test?

Top fuel 'i know boats' mechanics. Pffft!

Siret

Siret

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationSydney

Oil inside manifold? I see. Is it inside tb also? Is it inside intake side of turbo? Does dipstick pop out after boosting? Does it smell of burnt oil, blow smoke under power, have a dirty bumper on exhaust pipe side? Burns oil between oil changes?
Prolly is....

its blowby from the crankcase. Either worn rings or no catchcan. Have you done a compression test?

Yes. No. No. No. No, no, no, a little bit maybe 100-200ml every 3-4k. I have a catchcan. Around a year ago i had 160psi across all four. Before i took the head off a week ago 2 & 3 were at 60, 1 & 4 were 158.

I'll start her up today and see what happens.

jack be nimble

jack be nimble

master of none

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,299 posts
Hope its all good now

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts
  • LocationBuddhist Temple NSW

Prolly is....

I did say "essentially" he should know.
[qoute name="BMGTZ" post="331212" timestamp="1467451744"]I don't know anything ...
Trust in the master of taxis.... He will set you straight[/quote]

Siret

Siret

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationSydney

Started her up and it's running well. Valvetrain seems to be a little noisier. Will see what happens after i've driven it. Either way i'll be replacing the lifters. Doesn't sit right with me keeping them in there after what you guys have told me.

Just to go back to the oil inside the intake manifold, hypothetically, is it possible for a crack in a guide to extend up into the top of the head, below the stem seals, and allow oil to seep onto the back of the valves in the ports?

jack be nimble

jack be nimble

master of none

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,299 posts
Sure. A guide will pass more oil if its cracked. But the engine will suck the oil into the engine, not push it into the manifold. Its normally shown as carbon black fluff on back of affected valve.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users