Welcome to 4GTuner
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Head swap options

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

Dayniie

Dayniie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Locationnew zealand
Hi guys, me again, except not regarding the old zr4 anymore, she's been sold!

I now own a 95 lancer, has a wee baby 4g15 in it, we picked the car up for cheap as chips knowing head gasket needed replacing, but when I took head off there was zero sign of head gasket failure. I suspect the head is cracked an know for sure stem seals are leaking and valve guides have a heap of play plus valves aren't seating proper.. Instead of paying to get it pressure tested then replace all of the above an any potential cracks, I would rather just replace the entire head. Now here comes the problem... I can't find any heads for sale specific for my 4g, so I was wondering if there are any other options, Iv done googling an found twin cam conversion is possible but they all seem to be for fuel injected series (Iv got carburettor) can anyone shed any light on this? Can I get a twin cam (or even single) efi head an run it with carburettor, will it bolt up without issue etc etc

The specs
4g15
Single cam
12 valve
Carburettor

Thanks in advance.
Ps, I have no idea what chassis code the lancer is so thought best to put in here

jack be nimble

jack be nimble

master of none

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,299 posts
  • Locationperth sor. 20 mins from brians place
I think a sohc hyundai excel head, or a proton head would suit you. This assumes the motor is on the passenger side not the driver side.

you can flip head upside down and fill with kerosene. Any cracks will have kero pouring through. Use kero on the ports to check valve seal also
4g93t jumbuck conversion. PRANGED 18/3/12, CHECK MY MEMBER RIDES Page 11. no serious human injuries.
ON THE ENGINE STAND. g4cs 2.4l + Gt35r. PLUS: auto conversion + Awd coming.
thanks for parts and help: BMGTZ, EVOCPE, cwolf, Benozi, Jamo-GSR, 1JUM2NV, RXVII..much appreciated, cheers guys.
Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. —Enzo Ferrari
REMEMBER: you cant polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter.

jack be nimble

jack be nimble

master of none

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,299 posts
As long as manifold goes on you are ok. Also, check the fuel pump arrangement. Carby ones may be on the head? So you might need a electric pump if you cant bolt pump on.
Excel were carby and i think some proton were too
4g93t jumbuck conversion. PRANGED 18/3/12, CHECK MY MEMBER RIDES Page 11. no serious human injuries.
thanks for parts and help: BMGTZ, EVOCPE, cwolf, Benozi, Jamo-GSR, 1JUM2NV, RXVII..much appreciated, cheers guys.

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts
  • LocationBuddhist Temple NSW
Plenty of those heads at the local wreckers here...surely there are some over there?
[qoute name="BMGTZ" post="331212" timestamp="1467451744"]I don't know anything ...
Trust in the master of taxis.... He will set you straight[/quote]

leadfoot

leadfoot

• Moderators
  • 3,429 posts
  • LocationGold Coast

pfft go efi slap a fuel pump in the tank do some minor loom swapping and never look back

yes it's me KHUBNER

Dayniie

Dayniie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Locationnew zealand
"Slap" is not very descriptive, an not really something I want to go by.. Thank you ejackulalator, There's an example of useful info! Yes fuel pump is driven by camshaft on original head, so electric fuel pump is a must if using efi head. I'm not after performance, basicly anything that will work I will be happy with as will be a run about car for my girlfriend. I wish 4g15 head is as common in New Zealand but as every wrecker has said to us "good luck finding something that age" -sigh- so a efi head will work fine provided intake manifold is a direct bolt on? Has anyone had any experience bolting a twin cam efi head to a original 12 valve carb motor? Some exact answers would be great to reduce any potenial risks

jack be nimble

jack be nimble

master of none

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,299 posts
I dont think there was a twin cam 1.5, but there is a dohc 1.6 in hyundia lantra. The 1.5 is fairly similar to a g63, the probable issue is if there are all the bosses machined into the front of the block for the timing belt idlers.
leadfoot put a dohc head on his g93 sohc, but that is a different engine design.
If you are going dohc, id look to the lantra, but you might as well put the whole engine in, and the efi as well. Soooo- dont bother, get the excel carby head (or proton carby head as its newer) forget efi, forget dohc.

Ian91

Ian91

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts
  • LocationPomona, Sunshine Coast, QLD
Would be just as easy to swap a whole 4g93 in if its an issue swapping a dohc head on if think, would need an engine, loom, ecu and drop a pump in the tank. Maybe a few other little mods?

leadfoot

leadfoot

• Moderators
  • 3,429 posts
  • LocationGold Coast

i've also done the 1.5l carby to 1.8l efi swap.

what i needed
intank fuel pump and cradle with first fuel line conected
interior body loom (for the fuel pump wires could run them yourself from the efi relay)

engine loom

ecu
i think we also swaped the front main harness aswell

procedure
cut threaded section off flexible fuel pump hose that goes to the body side insert factory carby fuel line and clamp i think i extended and stepped this hose down using a double barb so i could bolt the tank up and get a tight fit.
same with the section of hose from fuel filter to fuel rail choose aproriate metal housed fuel filter and clamp apropriate fuel line to both sides

from there it's swap wiring harnesses and plug and play.

once you get into it it's all preety self descriptive

yes it's me KHUBNER

Dayniie

Dayniie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Locationnew zealand
The only reason I was thinking going over to dohc is because I can get my hands on a dohc head fairly easy where trying to find a sohc head from the 4g15 seems to be impossible. I was hoping carb manifold would bolt up as I'm looking for cheap quick solution, I would like to replace the 4g15 with a 4g93 but I would then require a strict 2ish hour vehicle inspection just to keep everything legal and Tikity boo an would be a bit to much work involved then the car is worth. Thanks heaps for advice, off to the wreckers tomorow to see what I can find -crossing fingers and toes- will let you know how I go

jack be nimble

jack be nimble

master of none

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,299 posts
The 4g15 is a different family of engine to the 4g61, 63, 64, and 93. So forget the lantra head.

Excel and proton are still ok as donors

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts
If you get stuck...let me know..can ask what the local guys want for one?
[qoute name="BMGTZ" post="331212" timestamp="1467451744"]I don't know anything ...

leadfoot

leadfoot

• Moderators
  • 3,429 posts
  • LocationGold Coast

the same as what i posted above would apply to an efi head swap. perhaps even dohc would work provided there are no significant diferrences lower down and in the timing.

eg
in the 4g93 the sohc and dohc oil pumps are different due to different tensioner pully setups (sohc might work for dohc never tested) and the have an extra idler threaded into the head

if you were to do a dohc head swap on the 4g15 you would want to ensure that
1> the galeries for oil and water/bolts are the same
2> any extra idlers are provisioned for ie if they're threaded into the block that your sohc has those threads
3> there are no significant differences to other parts

if no then efi head swap away. you will find that the efi heads won't accomdate for the mechanical pump and makeing a  work around for that using an electric pump will be a big headache.

yes it's me KHUBNER

CLuTZ

CLuTZ

Diamonds are forever....

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,120 posts
  • LocationMelbourne VIC

Sell it and buy this instead

http://www.trademe.c...n-921035522.htm

Comes with Recaros, Momo, Mivec and a bad ass intake pipe!

CLuTZ

CLuTZ

Diamonds are forever....

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,120 posts
  • LocationMelbourne VIC

Oh and I forgot to say that your car appears to be a CB3A Lancer and the 1.5L is actually a 4G91 and not a 4G15 (which might be why you're not having luck sourcing a replacement head)

http://specs.amayama...lancer/1992_10/

Edited by CLuTZ, 25 July 2015 - 02:35 AM.

leadfoot

leadfoot

• Moderators
  • 3,429 posts
  • LocationGold Coast
If its a 4g9 he might get extremly lucky and it also share head and block stuff with the other 4g9 stuff like the 4g92 and 4g93 do

yes it's me KHUBNER

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts

Sell it and buy this instead
http://www.trademe.c...n-921035522.htm
Comes with Recaros, Momo, Mivec and a bad ass intake pipe!

I agree..buy this little beast.

Dayniie

Dayniie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Locationnew zealand
Sorry for the late reply guys, Iv been busy hunting pick a part an every other wrecker possible in Christchurch, I'm pleased to say weve FINALY found a head!! I got the call this morning an its made my day! And it comes with a 2 month warrenty so very happy with that. Cheers for all the help an advice guys, you are all like yoda of the Mitsubishi world :D it's interesting you say that clutz, Iv read that on other websites as well although it seems to be quite contradicting as Iv read in other places it isn't, I'll have to check the firewall when I'm putting the head on.

Does anyone know if I can use/trust this manual ( http://www.mitsubish...wee9520/11A.pdf ) in regards to tourque specs on the head? It appears they are torquing a dohc head an as we all know, Iv only got a baby sohc

P.s. That's is a bad ass intake pipe but me an automatic is like Subaru being better then Mitsubishi, it will never happen haha

Edited by Dayniie, 04 August 2015 - 01:04 AM.

Dayniie

Dayniie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Locationnew zealand
Nope, I certainly have the 4g15 which appears to be in the cb2a chassis. If these manuals are anything to go by the 4g91 (http://www.mitsubish...wee9502/11A.pdf <---- manual there if anyone is interested) looks completely different to what I have, where as the 4g15 manual looks identical to mine. Thanks for linking that page clutz, very interesting

Dayniie

Dayniie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Locationnew zealand
Update for an old thread.. Head is on, used above tourqe specs with no issue. The original head had m15 stamped on it, the new head had m14 stamped on it. There was only acouple of slight differences between the two, the holes that the head studs go through were larger on the m14 and also needed to shorten distributor sleeve that slides into head (has the o ring around it) as the m15 head was 23 mm in depth and the m14 was 21 mm. It also had studs to tighten the distributor on as oppose to the m15 head where it used bolts.

Might help someone in the future, who knows!

Now all I need is get ignition timing properly set (Iv yet to do any searching, but if anyone know the degrees, feel free to mention :)) replace window, new rear muffler and drivers window winder mech (it drives me crazy not being able to put window down lol) and I'll be ready for a warrant of fitness :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users