Welcome to 4GTuner
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Automatic Transmission Upgrades

- - - - - W4A33

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

Rockabilly

Rockabilly

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 874 posts
  • LocationSydney

You asked my converter mob to build you one like my high stalls. Dunno what went wrong with yours.

Get it opened up & looked at. I know you paid big $$ for your modified 8 bolt converter.

Aldo

Rockabilly

Rockabilly

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 874 posts
  • LocationSydney

I'm builing my own strong GTA auto box to see if I can break it.
I studied the inside & slippage marks on the steels & bending probs.
A lot of welding, 3 Extra clutches & a 2nd that can't bend like std.
Got my converter mob to beef up a converter & added 600-800 stall to it.
It's std take off stall should be 2900 to 3200.
Brake stall should be 4200 easy with my hybrid/7RS turbo.

Aldo

MrConsistent

MrConsistent

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • LocationCanberra

You asked my converter mob to build you one like my high stalls. Dunno what went wrong with yours.

Get it opened up & looked at. I know you paid big $$ for your modified 8 bolt converter.

Aldo

Nothing against what you asked for or supplied mate at all.. you built a strong trans and my failure was attributed to stuff you had not touched and for the T/C it is just hit and miss i suppose Ant got a good one, mine not so much..... :(

Edited by MrConsistent, 28 October 2015 - 08:25 AM.

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you.

Pretzil

Pretzil

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

I'm builing my own strong GTA auto box to see if I can break it.
I studied the inside & slippage marks on the steels & bending probs.
A lot of welding, 3 Extra clutches & a 2nd that can't bend like std.
Got my converter mob to beef up a converter & added 600-800 stall to it.
It's std take off stall should be 2900 to 3200.
Brake stall should be 4200 easy with my hybrid/7RS turbo.

Aldo

Hi,
I recently broke my automatic legnum's gearbox, the output planetary gears crumbled.
What can you do to strengthen those?

Rockabilly

Rockabilly

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 874 posts
  • LocationSydney

Get a 2nd hand pinion planetary & I can weld it for you. I have 5 sets of the other planetary sets (3 inside the 4) in stock already welded.

Strength is fixable no prob. Slippage is a big deal with these as well. 3 clutch packs need plates modified like mine.

Also I have 9 kevlar clutches in mine. Why just make it stronger & put up with a bending/slipping box.

Going forged early this year to run 30-35psi to test my box. Then I'll know if it slips or breaks.

Aldo

• ted likes this

vr401

vr401

4G63T

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 929 posts
  • LocationSydney

Get a 2nd hand pinion planetary & I can weld it for you. I have 5 sets of the other planetary sets (3 inside the 4) in stock already welded.
Strength is fixable no prob. Slippage is a big deal with these as well. 3 clutch packs need plates modified like mine.
Also I have 9 kevlar clutches in mine. Why just make it stronger & put up with a bending/slipping box.
Going forged early this year to run 30-35psi to test my box. Then I'll know if it slips or breaks.
Aldo

I want forged internals too. :) :) :)
Lancer Evolution 7 GSR '01

Rockabilly

Rockabilly

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 874 posts
  • LocationSydney

I want forged internals too. :) :) :)

2x 2016 resolutions :thumbsup:

vr401

vr401

4G63T

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 929 posts
  • LocationSydney

2x 2016 resolutions :thumbsup:

Sounds better mate. ;)
Lancer Evolution 7 GSR '01

Pretzil

Pretzil

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Aldo

Have you welded yours? I know that the input ones need welding, but how do I know that is what caused my issue? Do they not just fail because the planets are weak?

Rockabilly

Rockabilly

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 874 posts
  • LocationSydney

Have you welded yours? I know that the input ones need welding, but how do I know that is what caused my issue? Do they not just fail because the planets are weak?

Yes I do my own welding & fabricating etc. On 4 speeds & now the 5s
The shafts in the sun gears are hardened steel & the mild steel material that they pass through
is not hardened. The holes in the soft mild steel gets worn elongated, causing the lousy small
dowl pins that hold the shafts in place to sheer off. Then the shafts drift out of their holes
in the mild steel & the shafts lean over & the small sun gear teeth get chewed out. The loose
metal teeth flying around & sometimes the thrust washers also, get jammed up in other gears &
cause a lot of damage. Teeth can get inside the pump & chew the shit out of it. With all 10 shafts
welded (exactly in place) the sun gears & thrust washers will stay put at factory tolerances.
That's the strength fix. Clutch slippage is fixable also. Good box with all the faults modded.
Aldo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users