Welcome to 4GTuner
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

I broke my baby, but now all fixed :-D

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
135 replies to this topic

LumpyVR4

LumpyVR4

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • LocationSydney

Crap weather, pulling out of a stationary lane, somehow totally missed suv coming in moving lane. Bit worried about damage on corner of chassis. Safely repairable?

Attached Thumbnails

• IMAG3547.jpg
  • IMAG3549.jpg
  • IMAG3550.jpg
  • IMAG3552.jpg

Edited by LumpyVR4, 18 April 2016 - 02:53 AM.

ECM Link, 399 MAF, 560cc injectors, 270 cams, TD05-20G @22psi, 3" dump, full 3" mandrel exhaust, intercooler, Fidanza alloy flywheel, 4 bolt LSD, EVO IV brakes, Strut braces, coil overs and sway bars.

jack be nimble

jack be nimble

master of none

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,299 posts
  • Locationperth sor. 20 mins from brians place
Yep. Get a wheel alignment. That will check if the body is twisted or bent.
If it is you will need to rack it. Get a panel shop with a robo-liner or similar.
if its ok, you can unpick the apron and the part of the damaged rad support and get the panel shop to spot on the new bits.
4g93t jumbuck conversion. PRANGED 18/3/12, CHECK MY MEMBER RIDES Page 11. no serious human injuries.
ON THE ENGINE STAND. g4cs 2.4l + Gt35r. PLUS: auto conversion + Awd coming.
thanks for parts and help: BMGTZ, EVOCPE, cwolf, Benozi, Jamo-GSR, 1JUM2NV, RXVII..much appreciated, cheers guys.
Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. —Enzo Ferrari
REMEMBER: you cant polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter.

LumpyVR4

LumpyVR4

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • LocationSydney

Is this part of the structure the same on the hatchback body? There are a few in a local wrecking yard.

ECM Link, 399 MAF, 560cc injectors, 270 cams, TD05-20G @22psi, 3" dump, full 3" mandrel exhaust, intercooler, Fidanza alloy flywheel, 4 bolt LSD, EVO IV brakes, Strut braces, coil overs and sway bars.

Benzo4gT

Benzo4gT

Operator

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,318 posts
  • LocationThe home of unemployed bogans - Hervey bay,

Duct tape and zipties dude :P

I've had worse and got it repaired, have a chat with a few repairers to see if the chassis needs a straighten or a bit of love to get back into shape.

Bit of a tool, and owner of "The Turdis" - Hervey Bay

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts
  • LocationBuddhist Temple NSW
Any good panel beater could easily fix that.
[qoute name="BMGTZ" post="331212" timestamp="1467451744"]I don't know anything ...
Trust in the master of taxis.... He will set you straight[/quote]

jack be nimble

jack be nimble

master of none

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,299 posts
The repairers dont know till they put it on the rack. A wheel alighment will tell you straight away.
You could then plumbbob the front end out to the bumper mounts and measure the diagonals. And measure the height to the rails on each side.
My jumbuck was straight, but the chassis rail was pushed up- needed racking. Wheel alignment shows lhrear is toed out and rhrear is toed in. I plumbobbed the whole car on the garage floor and it shows the rear stub axles are bent. The car is straight.

plumbbob will show you if its bent but aligner is quick and cheap.
It looks like it will be fine. Its pretty minor. Get a straight fender and bash the front end to fit the guard. Then fit bonnet and hope guard gaps are even.

Spewin.
4g93t jumbuck conversion. PRANGED 18/3/12, CHECK MY MEMBER RIDES Page 11. no serious human injuries.
thanks for parts and help: BMGTZ, EVOCPE, cwolf, Benozi, Jamo-GSR, 1JUM2NV, RXVII..much appreciated, cheers guys.

jack be nimble

jack be nimble

master of none

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,299 posts
Once that right fender is off and the bonnet isnt trapped, what is the bonnet to fender gap like on the left side?
Check the bonnet to windscreen gap is even so the bonnet is straight on the car. Look at left gap. Should be even. If its wider at the front, the rad panel may be shifted to the left.

LumpyVR4

LumpyVR4

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • LocationSydney

Had to get it towed, and am meeting up with insurance assessor tomorrow. I think rad panel might have moved. Can remember noticing extra gap between bonnet and left guard.

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts

I said it once...I'll say it again....
But hey what would I know....I havent just finished my TAFE course.
[qoute name="BMGTZ" post="331212" timestamp="1467451744"]I don't know anything ...

LumpyVR4

LumpyVR4

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • LocationSydney

I just need to chill out, I'm still freaking out. Still in "oh no, my baby!" mode. I actually already have a guard and grille sitting in the spare room. Was planning on a Jspec front bar sometime, so now's probably a good time.

Edited by LumpyVR4, 25 June 2015 - 11:04 AM.

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts

Thats understandable mate...I would be too.

Just take it to a reputable place and they will sort it out for you. As Jack said a Car O Liner or similar will reveal where/if any problems are.

jack be nimble

jack be nimble

master of none

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,299 posts
J spec, here we come!

MDK87

MDK87

Hyundai's can't fly!!

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,364 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

That sucks mate, lmk if you need anything. I've a mate wrecking a GVR4 atm.

BYBY5L

BYBY5L

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,047 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
That's nothing man, can only go off pics but I highly doubt ya rail would even be bent, being suv would be a higher first contact, doesn't look like more than 10-15km/h impact? The angle it hit on looks like it would of deflected it more than a square on impact too, personally I wouldnt stress too much man, it doesn't look like its gunna be an expensive fix regardless, a lot of the cost with newer car repairs is the amount they have to strip, prep and paint for the pearl to not clash.

LumpyVR4

LumpyVR4

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • LocationSydney

That sucks mate, lmk if you need anything. I've a mate wrecking a GVR4 atm.

I'm waiting on the insurance assessor, if they say the parts are too hard to get I'll volunteer to help them source them. It'll need guard, grille (got both of those), clear indicator (Jspec?), under light panel, and bumper. Now I just have to wait. Possibly the worst bit.

Cranked

Cranked

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,237 posts
  • LocationWollongong
I clipped a tree sideways at 80km/h in my old ss, cos I'm a silly prick. Looked farkin terrible compared to that, but it was only panel damage. Bought the panels, got em painted and voila! Plus vr4s are build like tanks, if it were a gsr I wouldn't be so confident. Measure engine bay diagonally, should give u an idea.
GSR Lancer- JE-73-VO, 11.701@125mph, 1.79 60" and getting faster. No:3 conrod now orbiting the moon.

jack be nimble

jack be nimble

master of none

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,299 posts
I dont think i would even put it on insurance. Not worth the premium hike

MDK87

MDK87

Hyundai's can't fly!!

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,364 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Won't he need to claim anyway, to cover the damage to the SUV?

LumpyVR4

LumpyVR4

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • LocationSydney

Yep, that's why I claimed.

At the moment I'm in limbo waiting to hear the final decision, but odds are they are going to write it off and I have first dibbs on the salvage.

jack be nimble

jack be nimble

master of none

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,299 posts
Can you reinsure it once its been written off and then fixed by you?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users