Welcome to 4GTuner
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Oil pressure problem?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Murdra

Murdra

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Hey guys i finally started my VR4 after it being off the road for over a year.

While it was off the road I completely rebuilt the motor, gearbox and front transfer case.  

For the first startup I hooked up a mechanical oil pressure gauge to the oil sensor hole on the oil pump housing and found my oil pressure to be really low and to not be consistent at all. moving around 30-10psi constantly. I changed the oil filter yesterday and found that the issue with fluctuating pressure to be gone but on cold startup I still only had about 70psi. and when it got warm it dropped down to about 20 sometimes down to 15psi when revving then letting it idle. As soon as I rev the engine the pressure builds quite nicely. I haven't gotten my tacho hooked up yet but I'm guessing around 60psi at under 3k rpm.

I've been told this sounds low I'm just not sure how low. It's a brand new oil pump and i have done the balance shaft delete. 

bazeng

bazeng

Gday maaaate

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,899 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
Souends ok to me.

Mine is about 85 psi max!!

So cold is around 85 psi. Idle around 15psi. Rule of thumb is 10 psi increase every 1000rpm above base pressure.

What oil? Have you removed balance shafts? Have you ported the oil filter housing?

4g63s usually run over 100psi cold. Not ideal.

Murdra

Murdra

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Yeah balance shafts have been deleted. As I'm running in the engine it's using MOTOL running in oil which i think is like 0/30. 

I noticed the other day after reving it and then letting it go back to idle that it would drop down to about 10psi for a couple of seconds before stabalising at around 15.

It seems low to me in all. but i never checked what PSI my engine was running before the rebuild and information seems pretty hit and miss with the VR4's

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users