Welcome to 4GTuner
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Dry film coated CP Pistons PTB clearance

- - - - - CP pistons Clearance

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Benzo4gT

Benzo4gT

Operator

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,318 posts
  • LocationThe home of unemployed bogans - Hervey bay,

I have CP pistons that have been ceramic coated and dry film on the sides, Everything was machined, balanced and test fitted by Jack bros. I spoke with them about my needs, rpm limit and boost before machining and they machined a piston to bore clearance of .0035.

The dry film adds .0010 thickness to the mix bringing total PTB clearance of .0025. My fear is that it might be a little tight for CPs combined with high rpm and boost (9k and 30ish psi). Has anyone had any experiences with CP pistons with these coatings? I have heard that they expand a bit more than wiseco and the like.

It's not going to see any track work and will probably only see quarter mile amounts of WOT at a time, maybe a bit more depending on if I'm losing :)  

Any advice would be appreciated as I'll be building fairly soon and I don't want to balls it up due to something this simple.

Bit of a tool, and owner of "The Turdis" - Hervey Bay

jack be nimble

jack be nimble

master of none

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,299 posts
  • Locationperth sor. 20 mins from brians place
What do cp recommend?
4g93t jumbuck conversion. PRANGED 18/3/12, CHECK MY MEMBER RIDES Page 11. no serious human injuries.
ON THE ENGINE STAND. g4cs 2.4l + Gt35r. PLUS: auto conversion + Awd coming.
thanks for parts and help: BMGTZ, EVOCPE, cwolf, Benozi, Jamo-GSR, 1JUM2NV, RXVII..much appreciated, cheers guys.
Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. —Enzo Ferrari
REMEMBER: you cant polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter.

Benzo4gT

Benzo4gT

Operator

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,318 posts

I haven't gotten any info on CP's as they did not come with the sheet, but I from the info I can gather around the place it should be around .0030.

CP's are noted for being a bit tight on their specs considering the amount they expand hence my query regarding the dry film and whether it will help or hinder the engine.

jack be nimble

jack be nimble

master of none

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,299 posts
Email them. They are the gurus.
4g93t jumbuck conversion. PRANGED 18/3/12, CHECK MY MEMBER RIDES Page 11. no serious human injuries.
thanks for parts and help: BMGTZ, EVOCPE, cwolf, Benozi, Jamo-GSR, 1JUM2NV, RXVII..much appreciated, cheers guys.

jack be nimble

jack be nimble

master of none

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,299 posts
The spec sheet here says 3.5 thou, as you had first machined (but it is 3yrs old spec sheet)
http://www.dsmtuners...earance.428812/
looks like you will be too tight. But i would still wait for reply from cp regards the coating and ptw.

Benzo4gT

Benzo4gT

Operator

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,318 posts

I don't think I'll risk it. I'm going to send the block down to get re-done, Jack bros are going to measure each piston and allocate it a specific bore if they need to.

Bummer :( Lesson learnt

VIN18M

VIN18M

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts
  • LocationSydney

I'm running CPs in my 93, and althought I don't remember the exact clearances (machine shop sorted it for me), I can say that my engine doesn't have the normal rattly sound of a forged motor on cold startup. Which to me would indicate tight clearances.

It's just a theory and not sure if I'm really adding anything here now that I think about it...

jack be nimble

jack be nimble

master of none

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,299 posts
Id still talk to cp. Are you going to get 3 or 3.5 thou?

Benzo4gT

Benzo4gT

Operator

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,318 posts

I'll go for 3.5

DOUGMO

DOUGMO

yoni lover

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,885 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

the dry coating is pretty much sacrificial anyway, those clearances are fine imo, I ran tighter on mine (3 thou then coated)

your call at the end of the day though

GENUINE CE9A evo2 gsr track car
all fabrication BJP AUTOMOTIVE
winton 1:27.4 /// sandown 1:21.5 /// phillip island 1:49.2 /// haunted hills 59.1
/// eastern creek 1:35.4 /// winton short 1:01.4

bazeng

bazeng

Gday maaaate

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,899 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
Ditto. The film will wear out. Do not include the coating in your measurements.

I did the same with my coated piston. Deduct a thou from measurements.

You want 4 thou measure 3 thou.

Edited by bazeng, 13 May 2015 - 07:55 PM.

Benzo4gT

Benzo4gT

Operator

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,318 posts

Good to hear you guys have run them in similar spec, that changes things completely. I owe you blokes a beer or two ;)  

I spoke to the guy who coated them this again this morning and he mentioned that they abrasive blast the skirts to promote adhesion, so the thickness could be as little as half a thou which I am fine with.

OLDIE

OLDIE

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 694 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

I'm running CPs in my 93, and althought I don't remember the exact clearances (machine shop sorted it for me), I can say that my engine doesn't have the normal rattly sound of a forged motor on cold startup. Which to me would indicate tight clearances.

It's just a theory and not sure if I'm really adding anything here now that I think about it...

I would have thought that a loose fit piston would be "rattly on start up"

BYBY5L

BYBY5L

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,047 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
Yea vin means his engine hasnt got the cold start rattle which indicates to him, he has a tight ptw gap,
my old sr20 had forgies in nz, I hated the cold start which is why I tried to stay away from forged pistons in my dailys but now with the composites used in different %s apparently its a thing of the past,

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: CP pistons, Clearance

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users