Welcome to 4GTuner
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Unhappy tyre, rear wheel alignment

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

LumpyVR4

LumpyVR4

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • LocationSydney

Last night I was rotating my tyres and noticed a horrible groove worn on the inside edge of the rears. It wasn't there last time I looked which would have been when the diff was rebuilt and the rear sway bar was changed. Would I be right in guessing that because I didn't even think to get the rear end aligned after that work I have killed the tyres?

Attached Thumbnails

• IMAG3391.jpg

ECM Link, 399 MAF, 560cc injectors, 270 cams, TD05-20G @22psi, 3" dump, full 3" mandrel exhaust, intercooler, Fidanza alloy flywheel, 4 bolt LSD, EVO IV brakes, Strut braces, coil overs and sway bars.

unhuman

unhuman

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

The fast that the groove is concave would sugest that something has been rubbing on it?

LumpyVR4

LumpyVR4

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • LocationSydney

I had that thought too, but it hasn't happened before this and I had a really good look in the wheel well and could not see anything its been rubbing on. I ran my hands around the tyre when the car was on the ground and there isn't anything near it. The symptom is the same on both sides, but more pronounced on the drivers side.

ECM Link, 399 MAF, 560cc injectors, 270 cams, TD05-20G @22psi, 3" dump, full 3" mandrel exhaust, intercooler, Fidanza alloy flywheel, 4 bolt LSD, EVO IV brakes, Strut braces, coil overs and sway bars.

jack be nimble

jack be nimble

master of none

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,299 posts
  • Locationperth sor. 20 mins from brians place
If that was alignment, you would be able to see it. If you stand behind car and sight along edge of tyre, your rear tyres should align with the fronts (or slightly toed in) maybe 5mm inside edge.

Also, the tyre should be standing pretty much straight up and down. You can sight it against a spirit level- but move the level forward of the buldge at the bottom of tyre.
4g93t jumbuck conversion. PRANGED 18/3/12, CHECK MY MEMBER RIDES Page 11. no serious human injuries.
ON THE ENGINE STAND. g4cs 2.4l + Gt35r. PLUS: auto conversion + Awd coming.
thanks for parts and help: BMGTZ, EVOCPE, cwolf, Benozi, Jamo-GSR, 1JUM2NV, RXVII..much appreciated, cheers guys.
Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. —Enzo Ferrari
REMEMBER: you cant polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter.

JayRome

JayRome

Blurring the line between 1st to 3rd Gen engines....

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,958 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

no chunks of rubber missing... would suggest that it was rubbing on something smooth... any rub marks on the inner fenders?

Chosen Weapons:
WideBody Galant GSR 4g63 N/A+T Hybrid 1st/3rd gen +AWD
Audi A3 slow POS

BYBY5L

BYBY5L

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,047 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
Rubbing on the bottom of the strut?
I dont know vr4s too well so I could be way off

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts
  • LocationBuddhist Temple NSW
Agreed...that been rubbing on something. Which should be nicely polished by now!
[qoute name="BMGTZ" post="331212" timestamp="1467451744"]I don't know anything ...
Trust in the master of taxis.... He will set you straight[/quote]

Evo-00x

Evo-00x

4G63T AWD CC COUPE

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,151 posts
  • LocationNewcastle

That's an alignment issue as I've seen it before on cars that haven't been aligned properly and on cars that have had dodgey ball joints that they wheel gets excessive play.

If that was rubbing on something there would be chucks in it, grazes, cuts, obviously noise that the driver could hear and rubber debris inside the wheel arches.

AWD. 2 Litre. GTX3076R 0.82.
330kw atw @ 28psi 98 pump fuel.

372kw atw @ 28psi E85 Flexfuel.
EVOLVED AWD COUPE
WWW.EVOCOUPE.NET

LumpyVR4

LumpyVR4

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • LocationSydney

Well I feel like a tool for not noticing sooner. After work yesterday I got myself about 5 meters or so from the back of the car and crouched down for a look. The rear alignment is all over the place. Camber and toe is different between the the wheels. As stated getting an alignment done after having the rear end in bits didn't cross my mind. duh.

I'll just chalk it up to an expensive lesson, seeing as the tyres had maybe another 15 - 20k in them. Won't be forgetting this in the future.

jack be nimble

jack be nimble

master of none

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,299 posts
  • Locationperth sor. 20 mins from brians place
Wear on the inside doesnt count.
eye adjust your alignments and keep going.
4g93t jumbuck conversion. PRANGED 18/3/12, CHECK MY MEMBER RIDES Page 11. no serious human injuries.
ON THE ENGINE STAND. g4cs 2.4l + Gt35r. PLUS: auto conversion + Awd coming.
thanks for parts and help: BMGTZ, EVOCPE, cwolf, Benozi, Jamo-GSR, 1JUM2NV, RXVII..much appreciated, cheers guys.
Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. —Enzo Ferrari
REMEMBER: you cant polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter.

LumpyVR4

LumpyVR4

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • LocationSydney

Alignment done, by eye anyway, using the carpenter app on my phone to check myself. According to it, which admittedly I don't trust to be gospel, I have +0.5 on both sides. Which is fine by me given how screwed the inside of my tyres are at the mo. I eyeballed the toe while I was there too. Gave them both what looks like a tiny bit of toe in. I know that's not right, but again I'm trying to spare the inside edges. I'll just keep a close eye on how they are wearing and adjust if necessary.

Evo-00x

Evo-00x

4G63T AWD CC COUPE

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,151 posts
  • LocationNewcastle

Or, why not take the car to get a proper front and rear alignment done professionally? It'll cost you less than the price of one tyre.

AWD. 2 Litre. GTX3076R 0.82.
330kw atw @ 28psi 98 pump fuel.

372kw atw @ 28psi E85 Flexfuel.
EVOLVED AWD COUPE
WWW.EVOCOUPE.NET

LumpyVR4

LumpyVR4

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • LocationSydney

I've got a 23mm front bar to fit to compliment the 26 in the rear. Once I've done that I am going to get an full alignment done.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users