Welcome to 4GTuner
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Taking top nut off front strut in CB GSR (and replacement strut top cap)

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

SilverCBGSR

SilverCBGSR

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Hi guys,

I’ve got a CB GSR and I’m replacing the springs on the KYB Excel-G shocks on the front of the car.

The only thing is that I just can’t get the top nut undone!

I only have hand tools, and no rattle gun.

I read somewhere that I should loosen the top nut while the strut is still in the car.

I also read somewhere that spinning the centre shaft while undoing the nut on top of the strut will damage the valving in the shock.

The top of the shaft doesn’t seem to have a hex key slot  or flattened end to allow you to hold the shaft while undoing the nut.

I could borrow an cordless impact driver from a friend of a friend, but I’d prefer to not borrow if I can do it another way.

I’m after some good practical advice on undoing this nut without killing myself!

Anyone done one of these before?

Also, are strut top caps still available?  Bursons tell me I have to buy them from Mitsubishi.

Has anyone been able to source aftermarket one? Any idea of cost?

Any advice is welcome.

Cheers

Rob

jack be nimble

jack be nimble

master of none

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,299 posts
  • Locationperth sor. 20 mins from brians place
I dont think you can ruin the valving.
If you undo that top nut when the strut is out you should have spring compressors or the bits will peow everywhere and may damage you.
in the car may be safer to undo the top nut, but I have always used compressors.

If there is no choice, you may have to grip the shock with vice grips. Maybe there is a smaller section at top, bet at worst, right at the top of the chrome the seal shouldnt get up that high. Or use a bit of rubber to grip the chrome.
4g93t jumbuck conversion. PRANGED 18/3/12, CHECK MY MEMBER RIDES Page 11. no serious human injuries.
ON THE ENGINE STAND. g4cs 2.4l + Gt35r. PLUS: auto conversion + Awd coming.
thanks for parts and help: BMGTZ, EVOCPE, cwolf, Benozi, Jamo-GSR, 1JUM2NV, RXVII..much appreciated, cheers guys.
Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. —Enzo Ferrari
REMEMBER: you cant polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter.

Benzo4gT

Benzo4gT

Operator

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,318 posts
  • LocationThe home of unemployed bogans - Hervey bay,

Yeah, don't under any circumstances undo the top nut with a rattle gun while standing above it to keep it balanced!

I lost all concept of space and time for minute or two. I decided I should get some spring compressors as soon as I was out of A&E

I still have a limp and can't pee straight.

Bit of a tool, and owner of "The Turdis" - Hervey Bay

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts
  • LocationBuddhist Temple NSW
Definitely best to do it while in the car...no rattle gun required.
If they are standard length springs you will be fine to undo the final part once the springs are laying on the ground with you standing alongside instead of in front.
Recently did the springs in my evo 5 with this method and still walking straight and pissing normally.
If you take the majority of the tension out before releasing the hats...they wont go apeshit on you...unless they are lowered springs.
[qoute name="BMGTZ" post="331212" timestamp="1467451744"]I don't know anything ...
Trust in the master of taxis.... He will set you straight[/quote]

Siret

Siret

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationSydney

Not sure about a CB GSR but a few years ago new strut tops for the cordia were around the $160 each mark from Japan. K-Mac do an aftermarket for the cordia at $240 each so i would assume they would offer the same for your car. Noltec used to offer this part for the cords but no longer. You might still be in luck though.

Edited by Siret, 23 January 2015 - 12:18 PM.

Siret

Siret

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationSydney

Apparently the CB strut tops have a bolt distance of 153mm whereas the CC are 143mm, same as the cordia. I know this doesn't help you but new CC strut tops are available from sprints in SA for $35 each. Might be worth giving them a ring.

http://www.k-mac.com.../mitsubishi.htm

SilverCBGSR

SilverCBGSR

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Thanks guy, appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Cheers

Rob

jack be nimble

jack be nimble

master of none

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,299 posts

Definitely best to do it while in the car...no rattle gun required.
If they are standard length springs you will be fine to undo the final part once the springs are laying on the ground with you standing alongside instead of in front.
Recently did the springs in my evo 5 with this method and still walking straight and pissing normally.
If you take the majority of the tension out before releasing the hats...they wont go apeshit on you...unless they are lowered springs.

lowered springs are way safer to undo than std ones. Some lowered ones you can nearly get back in by hand. There is no way you will get std ones back in. Probably even if you jack them back under the car, you wont get them.
Dodgy way is to put them in a press and wire them up till you have the top hat on.
Or get spring compressors....
4g93t jumbuck conversion. PRANGED 18/3/12, CHECK MY MEMBER RIDES Page 11. no serious human injuries.
thanks for parts and help: BMGTZ, EVOCPE, cwolf, Benozi, Jamo-GSR, 1JUM2NV, RXVII..much appreciated, cheers guys.

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts
Like I said...thats how I recently changed the standard springs to lowered springs in my 5.
[qoute name="BMGTZ" post="331212" timestamp="1467451744"]I don't know anything ...

jack be nimble

jack be nimble

master of none

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,299 posts
Ive had std springs ping nuts, washers, and top hats 20m down the driveway.

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts
Must not have been holding your mouth in the correct format......its quite important.
Were you also wearing stubbies? They dont help at all with keeping your nuts where they should be.
Warwick Capper meat and potatoes method.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users