Welcome to 4GTuner
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Catch can feed and return

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

Hyper_Mike

Hyper_Mike

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • LocationGold Coast

Hey guys,

Just wondering a stupid question, where abouts would the feed and return lines go for a catch can?

Cheers, Mike

Bryce

Bryce

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
  • LocationFernvale, QLD

feed comes out of the head and the PCV valve if its done that way, return goes back into the intake before turbo

4G63t Satria. Should be good.... ish.

Hyper_Mike

Hyper_Mike

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • LocationGold Coast

Cheers mate :)

Anyone have any pics of their set up?

VIN18M

VIN18M

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts
  • LocationSydney

This is my setup, I actually run a return pipe into the airbox with a small filter on the end to ensure I don't end up getting any oil vapors collecting in the intake.
IMG_3516_zpsa81b90c0.jpg

Edited by VIN18M, 18 December 2014 - 02:03 AM.

Ian91

Ian91

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts
  • LocationPomona, Sunshine Coast, QLD
Looks neat vin, I read a write up on dsm tuners that led me to believe to keep the pcv and other breather seperate, so I ran to catch cans but it looks messy. I think I might change to a single can like yours, what did you do with the barb on the intake? Just cap it?

Also what's the gauge down by your battery?

Cheers

VIN18M

VIN18M

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts
  • LocationSydney
Hey Ian, I actually removed the PCV valve and replaced it with a normal barbed fitting, so it just runs two open breathers. I was making a new intake for the new engine at the same time so never put a fitting on the intake pipe, but you could just cap it off if you have one.
The can I used is actually for a closed system setup, but I just drilled and tapped a new hole in the side and put another big fitting there so I could run the mini filter into the airbox. I figured this would reduce the oil smell people get with open setups and in theory is still legal.
The gauge is for oil pressure. I put it there for the first startup so we could monitor oil pressure from the engine bay, always planned on moving it into the cabin but now I just open the hood, crank her over and check that I'm getting good pressure and then forget about it.

brisvr4

brisvr4

• Moderators
  • 4,486 posts
  • LocationBrisbane - Southside
Here's mine Mike.
-12 lines and I've modded the fitting in the intake pipe to help create a Venturi effect to help keep vacuum in the sump under boost.
Works perfectly! Sorry for the pic quality.

401a8f75.jpg

Tim
Dsmlink V3 + E85 :drool: 11.37 @ 131.46 ... still more in her

Remember Kids... Google does not equal research!

Magnus
How much time do you spend in a parking lot with your performance car? If you do a lot of parking lot driving, and hang out in parking lots, chances are you are a ricer, go home and read import tuner. If you’re complaining about noise you should not be modifying your car. You should also consider no longer being a man, please hand in your genitals at the door.

Hyper_Mike

Hyper_Mike

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • LocationGold Coast

Awesome man! Cheers :D

VIN18M

VIN18M

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts
  • LocationSydney
Brisvr4 Is that can separated into two chambers inside? If not, wouldn't it just drain the collected oil and vapor straight into the intake with the outlet on the bottom?

Ian91

Ian91

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts
  • LocationPomona, Sunshine Coast, QLD

Brisvr4 Is that can separated into two chambers inside? If not, wouldn't it just drain the collected oil and vapor straight into the intake with the outlet on the bottom?

There's probably a tube inside the van which runs from the bottom hose up to the top of the can so the intake sucks out air only

VIN18M

VIN18M

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts
  • LocationSydney

Ah right, makes sense, that's what I thought.

Was just curious as I've seen a few set up like that but with a filter coming out of the bottom of the can, which seemed odd.

brisvr4

brisvr4

• Moderators
  • 4,486 posts
  • LocationBrisbane - Southside

There is a tube that runs to the top of the can from the base. It also has decent baffles in there to catch any oil.

Tim
Dsmlink V3 + E85 :drool: 11.37 @ 131.46 ... still more in her

Remember Kids... Google does not equal research!

Magnus
How much time do you spend in a parking lot with your performance car? If you do a lot of parking lot driving, and hang out in parking lots, chances are you are a ricer, go home and read import tuner. If you’re complaining about noise you should not be modifying your car. You should also consider no longer being a man, please hand in your genitals at the door.

Evo-00x

Evo-00x

4G63T AWD CC COUPE

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,151 posts
  • LocationNewcastle

Here's an old pic of mine. Engineer said without any crankcase release of pressure (ie if both hoses from rocker cover just went to a sealed catch can) it would pressurise and blow sump gaskets etc.

Then he requested I put a hose from the top of the oil/ air separator to the turbo intake pipe so it acts like a venturi effect. Getting air from the top of the separator has less chance of getting oil into the turbo intake pipe. He approved it as its still recycling emissions back into the intake. Inside the oil/air separator you can have baffles or steel wool or whatever acts in such a way that heavy oil drops don't get sucked back into the turbo.

Attached Thumbnails

• 102_0744.JPG

Edited by EVO-00X, 17 December 2014 - 07:28 AM.

AWD. 2 Litre. GTX3076R 0.82.
330kw atw @ 28psi 98 pump fuel.

372kw atw @ 28psi E85 Flexfuel.
EVOLVED AWD COUPE
WWW.EVOCOUPE.NET

rock_it

rock_it

I'm back .....

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,269 posts
  • LocationSydney
Hmmm.. Mine is just connected to rocker cover..

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

Moved on from the DSM powered Sonata who put out 238kw @ the wheels .... To a GSR 2.0L that is now engineered .. :wub:

Evo-00x

Evo-00x

4G63T AWD CC COUPE

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,151 posts
  • LocationNewcastle
Yeah but you have a breather on top rock_it. That's a defect if the po-po see it.

EVOLVED AWD COUPE
WWW.EVOCOUPE.NET

rock_it

rock_it

I'm back .....

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,269 posts
  • LocationSydney

With that set up ... That is the least of my problems... Well, defectable one's ... I actually got around with a sock on it... Heheheh ... Did get pulled up a few times, but cops never said anything about that... And the screamer pipes... and atmospheric BOV... And exhaust db... Well, you know how the rest goes... lol ...

But that was before all the crack downs on modified cars... Which is why I am changing everything now... But that will probably remain until I get picked on for it...

Moved on from the DSM powered Sonata who put out 238kw @ the wheels .... To a GSR 2.0L that is now engineered .. :wub:

jack be nimble

jack be nimble

master of none

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,299 posts
  • Locationperth sor. 20 mins from brians place
Hoon↑
4g93t jumbuck conversion. PRANGED 18/3/12, CHECK MY MEMBER RIDES Page 11. no serious human injuries.
ON THE ENGINE STAND. g4cs 2.4l + Gt35r. PLUS: auto conversion + Awd coming.
thanks for parts and help: BMGTZ, EVOCPE, cwolf, Benozi, Jamo-GSR, 1JUM2NV, RXVII..much appreciated, cheers guys.
Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. —Enzo Ferrari
REMEMBER: you cant polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter.

rock_it

rock_it

I'm back .....

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,269 posts
  • LocationSydney

Hoon↑

LOL!

If I was, I would never had gotten away with my setup ... Heheheh... I must have always passed the asshole test, so even though the cops would ask for Engineer Certificate, they were not real tough on things...

Evo-00x

Evo-00x

4G63T AWD CC COUPE

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,151 posts
  • LocationNewcastle

Turbosmart type 2 atmo venting bov too?

Don't tell me you also have chromies? lol :lol:  

EVOLVED AWD COUPE
WWW.EVOCOUPE.NET

rock_it

rock_it

I'm back .....

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,269 posts
  • LocationSydney

Turbosmart type 2 atmo venting bov too?

Don't tell me you also have chromies? lol :lol:  

:wacko:  ... I mean, not anymore... B)

Did have HP Chrome wheels.. But not like dinner plates... They were 5 spoke, so didn't look tacky.. I took them off the Sonata when I ripped the engine and everything out of it... I knew I was going to do the 5 stud conversion, so didn't want to have to buy new wheels, then new ones again when I went 5 stud... It just took me a lot longer to go 5 stud as I never drove the car anyway ...

But have Enkei RP-01's on it now...

D101A469-6C15-46AB-BE53-46BB22320DD5_zps

1A774E8C-5B7A-49FE-BDB2-D2F21401FFD5_zps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users