Welcome to 4GTuner
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

How to remove 4g64 engine out of 99 WA Starwagon

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

JSN 74

JSN 74

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationInglewood QLD

Hi there all,

First off, I,m new to this forum and new to the Starwagons, I have gotten a wagon that supposed to only have a blown head gasket,

But the previous owner told me after a few weeks that the car has been sitting for a few months, what a stuff around bloke he was. But that's another story.

I have a suspicion that the cylinders hav had water in there and over time it has rusted. what a shame as the engine has only 233 thousand on it, and has got new Dayco timing belt kit, new Bosch plugs and leads, but they didn't replace water pump, and it had old coolant dried up round the bottom of cogs..

I was just going to take head off but wat a nightmare it is, I,m used to taking apart and engines out of the ol Pajero,s and the CE Lancer, tho this lill engine in Starwagon has got me stumped lol.. Can anyone give me some advice what to do to take the 4G64 engine out Please?.

Its a Very nice Starwagon Purple and Silver with Ralliart 17 inch wheels, but its a shame its just sitting in shed!!..

My mobile is 0488 269 260 if anyone could txt me and I can call you back, Need help  please..

Thanx for looking,

jack be nimble

jack be nimble

master of none

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,299 posts
  • Locationperth sor. 20 mins from brians place
Do a inframe. Pull the head and check out the bores. You might need to pull the head even if you are going to lift the engine as there not much space to squeeze engine out the door. You might have to drop engine out the bottom, not sure.

Does engine turn over by hand? If not, put some oil or diesel down bores to loosen the pistons.
If the hg is gone, this might be because the water pump leaked all the water out. It may have siezed, and if it wont spin over, thats my guess.

Get a whole replacement engine from gumtree or wherever. Do a compression test before you buy it and swap engines.
4g93t jumbuck conversion. PRANGED 18/3/12, CHECK MY MEMBER RIDES Page 11. no serious human injuries.
ON THE ENGINE STAND. g4cs 2.4l + Gt35r. PLUS: auto conversion + Awd coming.
thanks for parts and help: BMGTZ, EVOCPE, cwolf, Benozi, Jamo-GSR, 1JUM2NV, RXVII..much appreciated, cheers guys.
Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. —Enzo Ferrari
REMEMBER: you cant polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter.

JSN 74

JSN 74

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationInglewood QLD
Thanx for that mate, yeah it turns over ok just bit worried it has rust in bores from sitting so long,
Just in the process of takin head off now.

leadfoot

leadfoot

• Moderators
  • 3,429 posts
  • LocationGold Coast
I've had a motor that had water in the bores to the point of hydro lock and it didn't give me any issues until the ac compressor ceased and I decideded to put the turbo engine I was building in. I've now rebuilt that same block and am once again running it if te motor isn't ceased lube up the bores and she'll be fine

yes it's me KHUBNER

JSN 74

JSN 74

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationInglewood QLD
Thanx for that mate, no it wasn't ceased just bit hard to turn over by hand, well with socket and ratchet.
I was glad that the bores wernt as bad as I thought they,d be, my mate said just to rub with 400 wet n dry sand paper,tho I only used dry paper!!.
The bores came up really good, then wiped clean, sprayed bit of Inox on bores and wound over by hand and its good now.
I knew it needs a headgasket etc but I was bit worried I may have needed another engine, and these lill buggers arnt cheap either lol.

JSN 74

JSN 74

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationInglewood QLD
Hi guys, would it be a good idea to replace head bolts on the 4g64, or could I re use my old ones?..
Also can anyone tell me if the 99 L300 van 2.4L engine is the same as 99 WA Starwagon and the MK 2wd Triton engines?.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users