Welcome to 4GTuner
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

4g15 - 4g93t conversion

- - - - - f5m421 4g93t ce lancer

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

oktoba

oktoba

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Hey guys

I have a 1996 CE Lancer chilling in my driveway. I've converted the 4g15 over to a 4g93t. It's the lastest gen with the engine on the right side.

This is my gearbox F5M421-F8A7-AQ2944. FWD. Now I'm not 100% sure whether it's a N/A 4g93 or 4g92 Mivec box...

It all bolts up fine but none of my starters will engage the flywheel... too short and too narrow. The flywheel on there is stepped, which is half the problem. So I decided to try a few bigger flywheels that were flat. They looked more promising in regards to mating with the starter but they won't fit my bellhousing.. :/ Back to square uno

The flywheel on the crank now is 268mm diameter, this is sliiiightly to small to fit touch the starter. So I can't even machine down the step because it's too small.
I have another flywheel which is unknown, roughly <280mm

Does anyone know which starter I should be looking for? I could go out and buy an AWD 4g93t gearbox and lock it to FWD easy enough but I would rather not as their gearboxes are kinda steep right now.

Other than that, the only other problem I have is trying to fit the clutch slave cylinder correctly as it fouls majorly on the turbo's intake pipe. I daresay it would prematurely wear my clutch down if I just chucked it on as is.

I am reeeally desperate for some help guys. BTW I HAVE scoured the forums and maaaany more over the net. I'm not that guy :P
I'm just not finding this one piece of crucial info somehow... hmm

Thank you so much to anyone who can help me out here

mat

mat

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • LocationTaree

hey i had a look around the net and found that code (the first half, not the aq2944) was from a ck5a lancer

http://www.partsworl...- manual/154331

i dont know if that helps? they seem to be located in new zealand too so they might be able to help you out

jack be nimble

jack be nimble

master of none

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,299 posts
  • Locationperth sor. 20 mins from brians place
I know sfa about those later motors. But if your starter plate matches your gearbox (sounds like it does) then you need a bigger flywheel (like you say) surely there is some way to get a listing of ring gears available and compare these to what you have.
Your unknown flywheel will be 6mm closer to the starter. Is that enough?
I reckon it will be about right.
I dont know how you could dummy it up to check clearance before pulling it all out. Maybe a square measuring out to the centre of bolt holes from the ring gear. Im using a phone camera to take pics where I cant get my head. Post a pic of the starter hole. You should be able to see if the ring gear is in correct place.

I dont think there is any different starters. But I got the starter plate, torque converter and srarter all from same car. Just in case.
4g93t jumbuck conversion. PRANGED 18/3/12, CHECK MY MEMBER RIDES Page 11. no serious human injuries.
ON THE ENGINE STAND. g4cs 2.4l + Gt35r. PLUS: auto conversion + Awd coming.
thanks for parts and help: BMGTZ, EVOCPE, cwolf, Benozi, Jamo-GSR, 1JUM2NV, RXVII..much appreciated, cheers guys.
Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. —Enzo Ferrari
REMEMBER: you cant polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter.

oktoba

oktoba

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Hey cheers for the replies guys. Yeah I thought that unknown starter would do the trick but it's actually too big for the bellhousing.. Sucks
I might try that parts world and have a browse through the flywheels.
Aw the engines already out too since I'm doing alot of work on it. Forging out an Evo4.5 to drop in it too. Still needa figure out exactly which gearbox to do the trick though. Will go AWD one day but for now FWD will have to do the trick

jack be nimble

jack be nimble

master of none

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,299 posts
I know there is a larger fwd 6 bolt wheel. But not sure about 7 bolt. It will be on a fwd turbo 2g from usa.

If engine is out, bolt starter onto starter plate and measure distance away
4g93t jumbuck conversion. PRANGED 18/3/12, CHECK MY MEMBER RIDES Page 11. no serious human injuries.
thanks for parts and help: BMGTZ, EVOCPE, cwolf, Benozi, Jamo-GSR, 1JUM2NV, RXVII..much appreciated, cheers guys.

jack be nimble

jack be nimble

master of none

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,299 posts
And confirm yourself if 3g and 2g wheels are compatible for you.
http://sosickmotorsp...p-woes.html?m=1
This guy here thinks so. Need to check bolt spacing will suut you

oktoba

oktoba

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Yeah done that. I think I need something around 278mm. I'm a lil nervous about tryna fit that inside my bellhousing though

jack be nimble

jack be nimble

master of none

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,299 posts
So dummy it up. Assemble clutch and flywheel, assemble onto input shaff. Push in till it just clears bell housing and straightedge across housing and measuse down to flywheel flange. This distance needs to be more then the crank boss sticks out back of block.
May as well check starter while its there. Bolt it up and have a look.

oktoba

oktoba

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

I'm thinking it's gonna be easier just to take the gearbox and engine into a parts dealer and sit out the back with their flywheels. Mock something up then buy a matching aftermarket clutch. Honestly it's not as simple of a problem as you'd think. I had 3 engineers from Mitsubishi all scratching their heads lmao was pretty disheartening to see really.
I'll let you guys know how I get on though ^ ^
I should do a build thread coz it's a pretty impressive one really. Just really back and forth atm though

oktoba

oktoba

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Quick question. While I'm building the Evo engine up, I wanna play with some decent boost on my GSR. I'm getting forged H beams but I wanna know how much boost the stock pistons can handle roughly if you know? With a good tune of course
Legeeend

oktoba

oktoba

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Oi mate lol

jack be nimble

jack be nimble

master of none

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,299 posts
I dunno. The rods on the old engines were good till 14psi or so. I suppose the pistons might be good for 18..?
Will certainly need a good tune or say byby to them

BMGTZ

BMGTZ

Grumpy old man from the school of hard knocks

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,554 posts
  • Locationsouthside of perth WA

if you are going to mess with the stock piston and higher than 15psi, you will need to have very conservative timing as these pistons have pretty weak ring lands and det messes them up really quick. 

BRIAN
Black evo 1 full road rego and done properly/legally

I have heaps of parts...but never the one I need.

jack be nimble

jack be nimble

master of none

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,299 posts
Thankyou b

oktoba

oktoba

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Hmm I may just go to forged pistons aswell to save my skin then. Wanting 18psi+ on the gsr. Aiming for 25-30 on the Evo
Cheers guys

BMGTZ

BMGTZ

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,554 posts

if you are going to go for forged rods and pistons...also get the evo main studs for the bottom end.

you will need to give the sump a whack at the very back to clear the studs but other than that ...straight swap and pretty much a bullet proof bottem end as long as you dont get a complete muppet to tune it.

BRIAN

oktoba

oktoba

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Evo studs on the gsr.. Really? Hmm 1st I've heard on that one. I'll have a look into it though. Cheers.
I'm doing the tune myself. Emanage Ultimates already wired in, updated and good to go. Only time it will see dyno is for cam timing after I install nitrous and on-boost meth injection.

BMGTZ

BMGTZ

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,554 posts

Evo studs on the gsr.. Really?

IMG_3058.JPG

yes really..... :rolleyes:

Edited by BMGTZ, 28 October 2014 - 02:55 AM.

BRIAN

leadfoot

leadfoot

• Moderators
  • 3,429 posts
  • LocationGold Coast
That's for the mains cradle for the head you want 3sgte studs

yes it's me KHUBNER

oktoba

oktoba

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Buzzy. I'll have a hack at it. Yeah I've sourced some 3sgte head studs already.
Was just reading through your daughters forged 4g93 Brian. Did you ever end up resolving the tick? Was it anything to do with the Wiseco's?
Looking at some Wiseco's for myself. Only really want pistons so I can spray a 100hp shot. Being able to up to boost over 18lb is just an added bonus really

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: f5m421, 4g93t, ce lancer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users