Welcome to 4GTuner
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

4G94 to 6a12 conversion

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

bob

bob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationGold Coast

Hi Guys,

I'm starting the process of seeing if the legalities of a 4G94 to 6a12 will permit the conversion to be road-registered.

Base vehicle is a 2002 build pajero io 2.0L 
Donor vehicle is tricky, likely a 2000 build FTO mivec or an import galant/diamant etc

What is the deal in QLD with mod plates? Going back about 10 years I had an 1984 lada Niva able to be mod-plated in QLD by lada autosports with a 1979 lancia engine as long as it "ran the same style emission control devices" i.e. it needed EGR and a carbon canister.

NSW and SA have the rule that the engine must be the same age or newer than the vehicle etc.

Can anyone recommend a good mod plate engineer to talk with Brisbane south side or gold coast?

--

The reason I am going for the 6a12 mivec is that the gearbox in the pajero io is unique, it is a 4G9X bolt pattern with a seven bolt crank and the starter at the 2-o-clock position, the 6a12 shares the SAME BELLHOUSING bolt pattern albeit with the starter at the 8-o-clock position. The flywheel is a similar diameter and same bolt pattern allowing the 4G94 flywheel and clutch to be used. 99% bolt up and a small amount of aly welding to insert a new starter nose is an easy mod - VS a slice-n-dice to get a 4G63 etc nose on the bellhousing.

The 6a12 Mivec motor generates more power and more torque at higher RPM (0-8000RPM) where as the 4G94 generates less at lower rpm (0-6000). The torque curves and power curves are very similar 0-6000rpm, perhaps a 10-15% increase, then the curves keep going on with an extra 2000RPM on the 6a12. This will give better performance down low without risk of blowing things apart, similar gear ratios will work fine and then more power top-end where the 4G94 runs out of puff.

Engine bay will fit with the exception of the AC piping what will need to enter the firewall about 3" further to the left.

Attached Thumbnails

• Fabio.jpg

jack be nimble

jack be nimble

master of none

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,299 posts
  • Locationperth sor. 20 mins from brians place
Did you want to explore other engine options or are you happy with the 6a.
So the box is a wide bolt pattern with starter at 2. Im sure there is 2.0 and 2.4 that would be easier, cheaper and plentiful option.
4g93t jumbuck conversion. PRANGED 18/3/12, CHECK MY MEMBER RIDES Page 11. no serious human injuries.
ON THE ENGINE STAND. g4cs 2.4l + Gt35r. PLUS: auto conversion + Awd coming.
thanks for parts and help: BMGTZ, EVOCPE, cwolf, Benozi, Jamo-GSR, 1JUM2NV, RXVII..much appreciated, cheers guys.
Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. —Enzo Ferrari
REMEMBER: you cant polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter.

bob

bob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationGold Coast

No,

....Unless i'm missing something entirely, This is not a 4G6x compatible pattern - it only matches the 4G9x blocks with the top bolt offset bolt pattern and as such this is the only stock way of gaining more power out of a 4G9X motor without going GDI (which produces less than a 6a12 etc)

4G6X wide or narrow won't bolt to a 4G9x pattern - my bell housing is integral and cannot be replaced so i'm stuck with it - the 6a12 is going to be a stretch as I will need to weld on a starter motor nose at 8 o clock position however given that the rest line up this shouldn't be too hard.

BMGTZ

BMGTZ

Grumpy old man from the school of hard knocks

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,554 posts
  • Locationsouthside of perth WA

will an evo 4 onwards box fit?......with the later evo engine?

BRIAN
Black evo 1 full road rego and done properly/legally

I have heaps of parts...but never the one I need.

bob

bob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationGold Coast

Nope - has to be a 4G94 bolt pattern, the io is RWD so has a pajero-ish gearbox with integral bell housing.

main problem is the engine is 2000,body is 2002 - not sure if this is legal in QLD..

jack be nimble

jack be nimble

master of none

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,299 posts
  • Locationperth sor. 20 mins from brians place
Yukky.
Retap the block of as late g63.

Otherwise its beyond me. Or use a pajero box or express box as well.
4g93t jumbuck conversion. PRANGED 18/3/12, CHECK MY MEMBER RIDES Page 11. no serious human injuries.
ON THE ENGINE STAND. g4cs 2.4l + Gt35r. PLUS: auto conversion + Awd coming.
thanks for parts and help: BMGTZ, EVOCPE, cwolf, Benozi, Jamo-GSR, 1JUM2NV, RXVII..much appreciated, cheers guys.
Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. —Enzo Ferrari
REMEMBER: you cant polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter.

leadfoot

leadfoot

• Moderators
  • 3,429 posts
  • LocationGold Coast
Technically no it's not as we have the same regards engine and body years but you should be able to get away with the engineering so long as all the emissions equipment is kept.

yes it's me KHUBNER

BMGTZ

BMGTZ

Grumpy old man from the school of hard knocks

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,554 posts
  • Locationsouthside of perth WA

turbo..

BRIAN
Black evo 1 full road rego and done properly/legally

I have heaps of parts...but never the one I need.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users