Welcome to 4GTuner
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Need help installing GReddy Profec B Spec Boost Controller

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

zboost

zboost

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

I'm wanting to install my GReddy Profec B Spec Boost controller but need some help. Currently running a 44mm TiAL External Wastegate @ 22PSI & a SARD Fuel Pressure Regulator

I have wired the controller up, it's powering as it should, I just need to hookup the hoses.

Need help with the following:

> Behind the boost controller is a port (Pressure Inlet) which a hose is attached to, then a Air filter, then another hose at the other end of the air filter, this is then supposed to be connected using a 3 way joint between the fuel regulator and the intake manifold.
*Where abouts should I tap into? The hose going from the top of the fuel regulator to the intake manifold has already been tapped into for my boost gauge.

The boost controllers motor box has a OUT and IN port round the back
> The OUT port is supposed to have a hose going from the motor box to the external wastegate.
*My wastegates port already has a hose going down to the turbo, do I just tap into this hose or is there another way to connect to the wastegate?

> The IN port is supposed to have a hose going from the motor box to the intake manifold.
*The port on my intake manifold is already used up going to the blow off valve, do I just tap into this hose?

The instructions are at the following link - http://www.greddy.co...Rofec_Bspec.pdf

hVIEy9.png

9l4zGI.jpg

qdQZgc.jpg

CameraZOOM-20140824122003947.jpg

Edited by zboost, 29 August 2014 - 03:48 AM.

unhuman

unhuman

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

External wastegates have two ports, there will be a threaded hole in the top of the valve where a seond fitting is used to feed a boost signal from the control module.

Your gate is missing the fitting, you will need to buy one.

The bottom port remains as is. You can see this in the diagram you posted.

zboost

zboost

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Sweet bro.

Would you know how I'd go about the IN on the motor box & the pressure inlet from the controller itself?

JayRome

JayRome

Blurring the line between 1st to 3rd Gen engines....

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,958 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Just tap the BOV line for the Boost/vac signal, the FPR line on our cars have a slight fluctuation due to the FPR switching when hitting boost...

Or disconnect the Vac canister behind the manifold (sits on the manifold bracing under the intake) and use the port that supplies it (faces the fire wall from on the intake, right next to the booster vac line), this should be perfect for you as your "EGR" system is already disconnected... 

Chosen Weapons:
WideBody Galant GSR 4g63 N/A+T Hybrid 1st/3rd gen +AWD
Audi A3 slow POS

jack be nimble

jack be nimble

master of none

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,299 posts
  • Locationperth sor. 20 mins from brians place
The line that runs from the turbo to the gate. Split it and run the turbo end to the 'in' port (with filter), and the 'out' port runs back to the wastegate.
4g93t jumbuck conversion. PRANGED 18/3/12, CHECK MY MEMBER RIDES Page 11. no serious human injuries.
ON THE ENGINE STAND. g4cs 2.4l + Gt35r. PLUS: auto conversion + Awd coming.
thanks for parts and help: BMGTZ, EVOCPE, cwolf, Benozi, Jamo-GSR, 1JUM2NV, RXVII..much appreciated, cheers guys.
Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. —Enzo Ferrari
REMEMBER: you cant polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter.

jack be nimble

jack be nimble

master of none

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,299 posts
I dont know what unhuman is saying, or if you have a second fitting or not. But boost supplied into top of gate will hold the spring shut longer.

Are you running 22 psi now? What are you aiming for, this should be a pretty quick little ride
4g93t jumbuck conversion. PRANGED 18/3/12, CHECK MY MEMBER RIDES Page 11. no serious human injuries.
thanks for parts and help: BMGTZ, EVOCPE, cwolf, Benozi, Jamo-GSR, 1JUM2NV, RXVII..much appreciated, cheers guys.

zboost

zboost

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Yes I'm running 22psi currently, I was told by the previous owner it's making 262kw with the current tune.

I'm looking to lower the boost but have a option of the high boost when I want to be making power, which is why I'm installing the controller.

zboost

zboost

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

So just to clarify, I just cut the line from the wastegate to the turbo in half and then put a joiner on each half to link with each the OUT and in PORT on the motor box. So boost will go out of the turbo to the motor box via the IN port then go out the motorbox via the OUT port to the wastegate?

jack be nimble

jack be nimble

master of none

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,299 posts

So just to clarify, I just cut the line from the wastegate to the turbo in half and then put a joiner on each half to link with each the OUT and in PORT on the motor box. So boost will go out of the turbo to the motor box via the IN port then go out the motorbox via the OUT port to the wastegate?

Yep, that will work. Wait for one of the other guys to confirm as well.
The indash pressure line can be robbed from the boost gauge.

But, I don't think you can lower the boost unless you lower the wastegate spring. You use a spring for the lowest boost you want and a boost controller for anything higher.

zboost

zboost

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Yeah I was thinking of running EBC Wastegate and a boost tap? If I did this would it be more safe incase the EBC messes out itll cap at 22psi which is what is in the wastegate spring? Not too sure I'm new to this haha.

BYBY5L

BYBY5L

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,047 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
Wastegate pressure is the lowest boost ya can get even with a tap or ebc, the tap or ebc just delays when the actuator opens the gate meaning ya can only bleed air for higher boost, and not the other way,
You'll need to change ya actuator or actuator spring to lower then set ya ebc/ boost cont. to 22, hope that makes some sense

unhuman

unhuman

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

zboost, you may wish to use this quick install guide on Greddy's website. It's the same information in the diagram you posted, but it's much clearer. It also does a better job than I did of explaining how to correctly use the 2 ports in the external wastegate.

http://www.greddy.co..._AB_helpdia.pdf

Edited by unhuman, 30 August 2014 - 11:19 AM.

Geo&Kez

Geo&Kez

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts
  • LocationPerth

Wastegate pressure is the lowest boost ya can get even with a tap or ebc, the tap or ebc just delays when the actuator opens the gate meaning ya can only bleed air for higher boost, and not the other way,
You'll need to change ya actuator or actuator spring to lower then set ya ebc/ boost cont. to 22, hope that makes some sense

It's an external gate.
I HATE BEING BIPOLAR........IT'S AWESOME!!

zboost

zboost

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

It's an external gate.

So would it work if I ran a tap and left my 22psi spring in the ext wg? Or would I have to put a lower boost spring in?

Geo&Kez

Geo&Kez

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts
  • LocationPerth
I wrote that at 3am, and was not on the ball. If the spring in your external gate is rated at 22psi that's the least you'll make. If you want to run 15psi your spring will need to be rated =< 15psi. Same as what byby5l said. I miss-read his post.
I HATE BEING BIPOLAR........IT'S AWESOME!!

zboost

zboost

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

zboost, you may wish to use this quick install guide on Greddy's website. It's the same information in the diagram you posted, but it's much clearer. It also does a better job than I did of explaining how to correctly use the 2 ports in the external wastegate.

http://www.greddy.co..._AB_helpdia.pdf

Thanks.

So now to put it all together.

PRESSURE INLET: Tap into Boost Gauge Vac

IN PORT: Tap into BOV (@unhuman, the greddy pdf shows it tapping into the intercooler but I don't think I have a port there so maybe this will be better)

OUT PORT: Run a hose to the top of the external wastegate

Does everyone agree on this, or is there a better way to do it?

zboost

zboost

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Anyone??

jack be nimble

jack be nimble

master of none

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,299 posts
Do you have a second hole in the wastegate? Might be on top in middle. Your drawing shows it should.

BYBY5L

BYBY5L

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,047 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
Hows this so hard to work out? Hose that runs from manifold (or turb housing) to actuator cut, connect the motor in between, in port connects from manifold (or turb housing), out port to actuator, and from the control unit, run it to manifold as well, no???

where it refers to the manifold, its refering to there cos alot of turbos dont have a port/ fitting on the turb housing

jack be nimble

jack be nimble

master of none

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,299 posts
+1 ↑
Unless it has dual ports on the gate then it needs to bleed pressure off the top port rather than the bottom.

Edited by jack of all, 02 September 2014 - 01:03 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users