Welcome to 4GTuner
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

gearbox oil for old worn box ?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

Evo-00x

Evo-00x

4G63T AWD CC COUPE

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,151 posts
  • LocationNewcastle

Yeah that's the bearing I'm talking about Tim = closest to the bellhousing :)

You have to remove the sleeve first, then the circlip, then you can press from under 3rd to get them all off - see pics 001 and 002.

But I still cringe when placing plates under 3rd gear ever since I ruined a couple of 3rd gears trying to remove it that way, due to not having much surface area of 3rd gear to work with. Once there was a slight slip of a plate and it chipped 3rd, then the other time I remember pressing the damn thing to the point where I know the bearing should have cracked and let go already, but I felt the pressure build up from the 9T press to where it wasn't going to budge anymore, then 'crack'.. broke a tooth off and also ruined the little subgear. I still try to remove them under 3rd in the first instance but if I get that same experience, which is more likely than not, I wont go further and risk it.   

I always have a brand new bearing to put on anyway, so I end up dismantling the existing bearing so its just the inner race still on the shaft, grind 2 grooves on the race (as per pic 003), put on the bearing separators and remove it.

I've nick-named it the 'bastard bearing'. :lol:  

Perhaps with a stronger press it will make a difference, but it would be good to know how you prep under 3rd gear to do yours :)

Attached Thumbnails

• 001 Input -Circlip (Medium).jpg
  • 002 Remove input shaft gears (Medium).jpg
  • 003 Groove bearing race.JPG

AWD. 2 Litre. GTX3076R 0.82.
330kw atw @ 28psi 98 pump fuel.

372kw atw @ 28psi E85 Flexfuel.
EVOLVED AWD COUPE
WWW.EVOCOUPE.NET

matts4g

matts4g

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationMackay
Ive got a poxy proton box that was crunching every gear and really hard to get into 2nd. Had to replace a gearbox seal on driveshaft. Whole box had to be pulled apart to replace tiny seal. I put penrite synthetic gearbox oil and now rarely crunches and smooth gear shifts. Happy days

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users