Welcome to 4GTuner
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Best coolant/anti-freeze?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

LumpyVR4

LumpyVR4

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • LocationSydney

Need to chuck some antifreeze into the car. I've come up with conflicting advice on various dsm forums. I know to use Redline water wetter, but the best type of coolant/anit-freeze is still a bit confused. Green, Red, OAT, HOAT !?!

Suggestions?

While I'm here advice on using a flush or not before hand, and which one would be helpful too.

ECM Link, 399 MAF, 560cc injectors, 270 cams, TD05-20G @22psi, 3" dump, full 3" mandrel exhaust, intercooler, Fidanza alloy flywheel, 4 bolt LSD, EVO IV brakes, Strut braces, coil overs and sway bars.

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts
  • LocationBuddhist Temple NSW
I use Green...either Tectalloy or Nulon.
[qoute name="BMGTZ" post="331212" timestamp="1467451744"]I don't know anything ...
Trust in the master of taxis.... He will set you straight[/quote]

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts
No need for water wetter unless your cooling system has issues.
[qoute name="BMGTZ" post="331212" timestamp="1467451744"]I don't know anything ...

Geo&Kez

Geo&Kez

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts
  • LocationPerth
And water wetter is good, but I have noticed a really big jump in corrosion. Would recommend always running a good coolant with water wetter if you use it. Halves the benefit of water wetter but will make the inside of your engine happier. Personal favourite is the red Toyota stuff.
I HATE BEING BIPOLAR........IT'S AWESOME!!

DOUGMO

DOUGMO

yoni lover

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,885 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

I run water wetter only with no corrosion issue. 

do you go anywhere that you car may freeze? the "coolant" actually makes the cooling system less efficient

GENUINE CE9A evo2 gsr track car
all fabrication BJP AUTOMOTIVE
winton 1:27.4 /// sandown 1:21.5 /// phillip island 1:49.2 /// haunted hills 59.1
/// eastern creek 1:35.4 /// winton short 1:01.4

LumpyVR4

LumpyVR4

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • LocationSydney

I'm off the the snow this week and don't really want a cracked block in the morning. I ended up using Nulon blue. It's advertised as being good for Nihon no cars and has a matching Mitsubishi part number.

I used Nulon flush first. The top of the radiator looked cleaner for it. Ran the hose through the engine for ages before refilling with coolant and deminerised water, but it only took 5.5 litres not 7. I'm hoping I got all of the cleaning stuff out. I think I did. I just tend to obses/panic about that sort of stuff. The car has a 2 row aluminium radiator in it, so maybe that is a little smaller than the stock one in volume.

ECM Link, 399 MAF, 560cc injectors, 270 cams, TD05-20G @22psi, 3" dump, full 3" mandrel exhaust, intercooler, Fidanza alloy flywheel, 4 bolt LSD, EVO IV brakes, Strut braces, coil overs and sway bars.

croket

croket

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 734 posts
  • Locationwestern australia
I use about 7 with my alli rad , maybe you have an airlock somewhere

LumpyVR4

LumpyVR4

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • LocationSydney

That's what I'm assuming. I'm just going to check the level over the next several days. Running temp is about 1 needle width lower than before I started so I guess the clean out did its thing. Gauge has always read pretty much dead center.

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts
Does your car have the 12mm bolt in the top of the outlet on the side of the head?
I undo that while engine is running to bleed any air from the system when I change coolant.

DOUGMO

DOUGMO

yoni lover

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,885 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

did you have the heater on when you flushed it out and refilled?

GENUINE CE9A evo2 gsr track car
all fabrication BJP AUTOMOTIVE
winton 1:27.4 /// sandown 1:21.5 /// phillip island 1:49.2 /// haunted hills 59.1
/// eastern creek 1:35.4 /// winton short 1:01.4

micky_vr4

micky_vr4

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • LocationAdelaide

Has anyone tried this stuff?

I've heard about it but not from anyone with firsthand experience...

http://www.evanscool...u/products.html

J-spec white RS-Evolution GVR4 - soon to move for the first time in 2 years  :thumbsup: 

A-spec maroon GVR4

A-spec silver GVR4 - sold and racing!!!

LumpyVR4

LumpyVR4

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • LocationSydney
Heater was on. Took a half litre yesterday, but none today. Couldn't see a bolt on the thermostat housing. Maybe the heater matrix never emptied when I dumped the water after flushing the cleaner out.

Edited by LumpyVR4, 15 July 2014 - 04:26 AM.

Ross Cox

Ross Cox

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • LocationBrisbane...Northside

G'day.

I run a 4g63T in a VR4 rally car. No water cooling in the turbo. I have an aftermarket aluminium radiator, with a 90 degree thermostat. I run demineralised water, the small tin of Castrol corrosion inhibitor, and the lumpy stuff from a bottle of Bars Leaks. The temp cycled between 85-95 degrees Celcius even in competition. The car has been outside in -2 Celcius and no problem with the water freezing. The radiator has been in the car or the first VR4 I had since 2007 without a problem It has been cleaned and flushed three times since 2007 and no traces of corrosion.

Cheers

Ross

bazeng

bazeng

Gday maaaate

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,899 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
Water wetter here also. Both AMG and VR4 have no cooling issues whatsoever.

milkandoj

milkandoj

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationPerth
Correct me if im wrong but you can run redline water wetter with just distilled water, as it says it has its own corrosion inhibitors. Also says it works more efficiently to transfer heat the less or no glycol present.

Anyone noticed corrosion problems doing this?

Also im pretty sure my vr4 had a stock 192*F thermostat as it would levle out at 89-90*C on the move.
(But regularly hit 100-102*C at the lights after driving hard)

You can get 180*F and 170*f replacements. So it levels out a bit lower, unless you live somewhere freezing it will help give a larger buffer zone for the temp to rise after wrapping it.

With a lot of the brands like Tridon for eg; if you cross reference the first part of the part number the second number is just the *F number. So you can see what other temps are avaliable

Edited by milkandoj, 23 September 2014 - 05:24 PM.

99% home built for a life time warranty. Engine now needing repair under 'warranty'

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users