Welcome to 4GTuner
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

ebay boost controller valve backwards!

- - - - - turbo smart knock off MBC

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

croket

croket

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 734 posts
  • Locationwestern australia
Sorry for jacking ur thread lumpy but this is all relevant to you if going the same actuator as me i guess

LumpyVR4

LumpyVR4

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • LocationSydney
That's ok. All I have vacuum wise atm is boost gauge and reg off one mani feed and actuator and waste gate off another, plus brake booster of course.

ECM Link, 399 MAF, 560cc injectors, 270 cams, TD05-20G @22psi, 3" dump, full 3" mandrel exhaust, intercooler, Fidanza alloy flywheel, 4 bolt LSD, EVO IV brakes, Strut braces, coil overs and sway bars.

croket

croket

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Tset fit ur actuator fisrt i had the arm all the way in but was still not getting enough preload on the spring . I had to cut about 10 mm of the thread off to get a nice tight preload on it. I figure my lower boost problem

was the gate being blown open , ill report back tomorrow after giving it a run

jack be nimble

jack be nimble

master of none

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,299 posts
  • Locationperth sor. 20 mins from brians place

Well ive fitted and tested my kinugawa 18 psi actuator and im only seeing 15 psi , i opened the thing up and confirmed its a 18 psi spring in it. I boost leak tested and have no leaks so im a little disapionted in my actuator. Looks as though ill have to run my mbc to pick up the 3 extra psi i was chasing

Shim it. Press the actuator against some scales to see what weight is needed to compress spring. Add shims till you see a 20% increase in required weight. Will be close.

Or add your old spring as well as a compound spring. Maybe close enough to try.
Could trim and stretch spring to increase the rate as well.
Spring rate is linear, so you could trim it by 20% should see a similar increase in rate? Maybe...

Edited by jack of all, 29 June 2014 - 09:27 AM.

4g93t jumbuck conversion. PRANGED 18/3/12, CHECK MY MEMBER RIDES Page 11. no serious human injuries.
ON THE ENGINE STAND. g4cs 2.4l + Gt35r. PLUS: auto conversion + Awd coming.
thanks for parts and help: BMGTZ, EVOCPE, cwolf, Benozi, Jamo-GSR, 1JUM2NV, RXVII..much appreciated, cheers guys.
Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. —Enzo Ferrari
REMEMBER: you cant polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter.

croket

croket

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 734 posts
I tightened the preload right up and am now seeing 18 psi , ive only managed to be able to do 2nd gear pulls tonight. But ill have a better idea in the morning when im on the highway. Overall im not really impressed with it , id like to be seeing full boost alot earlier which i was before. I had a .6 bar actuator turned up to 1.2 bar and was getting some severe spiking , my whole plan was to get this 1.2 bar one bolt it in and just tune to it. Maybe ill throw the mbc back in and tune to 22 psi ;)

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts
  • LocationBuddhist Temple NSW
What turbo and dump are you using?
[qoute name="BMGTZ" post="331212" timestamp="1467451744"]I don't know anything ...
Trust in the master of taxis.... He will set you straight[/quote]

croket

croket

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 734 posts
Gt pumps 20g with heavily ported out dump and 3 inch flange on it

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts
Might be part of your issue right there.
Ever considered external gate? Best thing I ever did.
[qoute name="BMGTZ" post="331212" timestamp="1467451744"]I don't know anything ...

croket

croket

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Yeah i have but funds dont permit at the moment , its strange how it went from boost spiking and pulling hard to feeling a bit doughy just from swapping the actuator.

I should have gone with my original plan and got the 1.2 bar actuator from gt pumps that suits my turbo

Anybody wanna buy a kinugawa actuator hahahaha

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts
Dont buy anymore taiwanese shit and save your coin for a brand name external gate setup.
I have the MAPerfomance dump and Turbosmart 45mm HyperGate holds boost rock solid. And comes on hard.

croket

croket

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Well lesson learnt now hahaha and now ive got a actuator im not happy with and cant sell coz ive essentially run it down right here !!!

Atleast it was a fairly cheap lesson to learn and others can learn from my mistake too. Lumpy dont by the kinugawa actuator its not worth it.

Im planning on going a gtx3076 one day with external gate and all the jazz , but its my daily for now and im in the midst of looking into buying a business so big dollars are a no no on the car for now

MDK87

MDK87

Hyundai's can't fly!!

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,364 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Provided that it's moving the flapper valve correctly (does the engine come onto boost the same?) the fact that it's running lower than expected boost pressure isn't such a bad thing as it's not overspeeding the turbine. I'd say that'd be more your porting working against you lol

At the end of the day it's just a spring (as with external). As your engine breathing changes over RPM, you can't really expect too much from it.

The best option would be closed loop EBC but you could try using an MBC I guess. It just won't give you a nice solid manifold pressure as RPM/loading varies.

Edited by MDK87, 29 June 2014 - 11:20 AM.

croket

croket

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 734 posts

comes onto boost more gently , it use to hit really hard. I did have a AVCR in it but stole it to use in the ggsr figured it will be needed to get traction by programing boost.

I think my spiking issue may have been from trying to more than double what my old actuator was meant to be. Im not entirley sure but ill have more exact report tomorrow.

Maybe ill need to get a EBC for it , either way itll soon be sorted when ive got my ce lancer coupe licenced for daily work duties.

LumpyVR4

LumpyVR4

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • LocationSydney

Assuming your MBC has a spring in it, the spike could have been caused by the boost needed to push it open before pressure got to the actuator. What if you got a slightly lighter spring in the MBC to control the spike a bit and use it to add in the last couple of psi you want.

ECM Link, 399 MAF, 560cc injectors, 270 cams, TD05-20G @22psi, 3" dump, full 3" mandrel exhaust, intercooler, Fidanza alloy flywheel, 4 bolt LSD, EVO IV brakes, Strut braces, coil overs and sway bars.

croket

croket

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 734 posts

dont think springs come any lighter than the spring in my mbc , but the whole point was just run 1.2 bar with this actuator which is not really going to happen how i want

Dont waste your money on one mate just get the cheaper 1 bar version and run a good EBC like a AVC R and be done with it . No gains to be had with this actuator apart from a lower bank balance as i found out hahaha

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users