Welcome to 4GTuner
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

ebay boost controller valve backwards!

- - - - - turbo smart knock off MBC

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

LumpyVR4

LumpyVR4

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • LocationSydney

Hey guys. I thought you might like to know about this one. Today my knock off Turbo Smart boost controller arrived in the mail. Before installing it I tried blowing through the included T piece / check valve and got nothing in either direction. I didn't like the idea of putting that on my car so pulled it apart.

The spring and ball were the wrong way around! Any boost pressure would have closed the passage to the actuator tight, potentially blowing your engine!

This bit's optional......

After putting it together the right way I still could not blow it open, so I trimmed the spring down until blowing as hard as I can it just opens the valve (I ended up with a little more than half the spring left). I figure that needing a couple of pounds of boost just to get pressure to the actuator isn't a good starting point for accurate boost control. Of course I could have totally stuffed it by doing this. Time will tell.

Once I have chance to test it I'll deliver a report on how it performs.

ECM Link, 399 MAF, 560cc injectors, 270 cams, TD05-20G @22psi, 3" dump, full 3" mandrel exhaust, intercooler, Fidanza alloy flywheel, 4 bolt LSD, EVO IV brakes, Strut braces, coil overs and sway bars.

croket

croket

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 734 posts
  • Locationwestern australia

you wont get acurate boost control with a boost tee ever , ive run the newer style turbosmart and now run the big old school one.

I still get boost spiking with the old school one but not as much as the other one i had in it.

This problem is what pushed me towards the kinugawa billet actuator which has now been shipped yay !!!!

Its coming with a 1.2 bar spring and ill be tunning to suit it , then its no worries anymore for me.

tunning to suit set boost will be best , im tuned to 1.5 bar but maxed injectors so now its running rich with bugger all timming , my mate reckons with 1.2 bar more timming and taking some fuel out it will pick up more power.

Marc

Marc

Pre Staged

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationPenrith, Sydney
Is it a knock off dual stage controller or just a boost tee??

I got a genuine turbosmart dual stage for sale if you want to check out the for sale section.

Marc

4G63t Powered 1993 Hyundai Excel - Finally finished, Fucked.

**CURRENTLY PARTING OUT, CLICK FOR DETAILS**

jack be nimble

jack be nimble

master of none

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,299 posts
  • Locationperth sor. 20 mins from brians place
All that china ebay stuff needs a good checking and maybe mods to make it work properly.

Edited by jack of all, 23 June 2014 - 01:17 PM.

4g93t jumbuck conversion. PRANGED 18/3/12, CHECK MY MEMBER RIDES Page 11. no serious human injuries.
ON THE ENGINE STAND. g4cs 2.4l + Gt35r. PLUS: auto conversion + Awd coming.
thanks for parts and help: BMGTZ, EVOCPE, cwolf, Benozi, Jamo-GSR, 1JUM2NV, RXVII..much appreciated, cheers guys.
Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. —Enzo Ferrari
REMEMBER: you cant polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter.

micky_vr4

micky_vr4

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • LocationAdelaide

Hey guys. I thought you might like to know about this one. Today my knock off Turbo Smart boost controller arrived in the mail. Before installing it I tried blowing through the included T piece / check valve and got nothing in either direction. I didn't like the idea of putting that on my car so pulled it apart.

The spring and ball were the wrong way around! Any boost pressure would have closed the passage to the actuator tight, potentially blowing your engine!

This bit's optional......

After putting it together the right way I still could not blow it open, so I trimmed the spring down until blowing as hard as I can it just opens the valve (I ended up with a little more than half the spring left). I figure that needing a couple of pounds of boost just to get pressure to the actuator isn't a good starting point for accurate boost control. Of course I could have totally stuffed it by doing this. Time will tell.

Once I have chance to test it I'll deliver a report on how it performs.

I think the human lungs can only produce about 2-3PSI or something, that's probably the reason you couldn't blow through the boost tee.

If you have a spare boost gauge you can test this...

Taken from Wikipedia: 

+2.8 psi High end of lung pressure, exertable without injury by a healthy person for brief times[citation needed]

link: http://en.wikipedia....tude_(pressure)

Edit: found some info

Edited by micky_vr4, 23 June 2014 - 01:36 PM.

J-spec white RS-Evolution GVR4 - soon to move for the first time in 2 years  :thumbsup: 

A-spec maroon GVR4

A-spec silver GVR4 - sold and racing!!!

LumpyVR4

LumpyVR4

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • LocationSydney

Is it a knock off dual stage controller or just a boost tee??

I got a genuine turbosmart dual stage for sale if you want to check out the for sale section.

It's one of these.

$_57.JPG

The arrow is suppossed to point to the actuator. The way I got it pressure that way would hold the valve shut.

Edited by LumpyVR4, 23 June 2014 - 10:03 PM.

ECM Link, 399 MAF, 560cc injectors, 270 cams, TD05-20G @22psi, 3" dump, full 3" mandrel exhaust, intercooler, Fidanza alloy flywheel, 4 bolt LSD, EVO IV brakes, Strut braces, coil overs and sway bars.

CLuTZ

CLuTZ

Diamonds are forever....

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,120 posts
  • LocationMelbourne VIC

I have had success using 'Turbo Tech' tees in the past. I think I posted a link in your other thread

Read "Step 2"

TP-V1_2.jpg

Edited by CLuTZ, 23 June 2014 - 10:43 PM.

MDK87

MDK87

Hyundai's can't fly!!

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,364 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

+1 for turbo tech if you're going to use MBC.

LumpyVR4

LumpyVR4

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • LocationSydney

I had something like that on my 4G63 cordia. I was just being a tight ass when I bought what I bought. You get what you pay for I guess.

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts
  • LocationBuddhist Temple NSW
That rings true with what you bought this time around too by the looks of things. ^
[qoute name="BMGTZ" post="331212" timestamp="1467451744"]I don't know anything ...
Trust in the master of taxis.... He will set you straight[/quote]

CLuTZ

CLuTZ

Diamonds are forever....

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,120 posts
  • LocationMelbourne VIC

How much was the Turbosmart knock off?

LumpyVR4

LumpyVR4

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • LocationSydney

$12 I figured its just a boost tap. How hard can that be to make, and it's so simple it's (nearly) impossible to screw up.

Edited by LumpyVR4, 24 June 2014 - 02:38 AM.

LumpyVR4

LumpyVR4

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • LocationSydney
Tested the controler on the way to work, and I've broken it. The hole in the T valve leading to the actuator is really small. Too small for me to be comfortable with. So I drilled it out to double it size. I figured the worst that could happen is that I don't get as much boost as I want. With the tap all the way open I get 15psi until my creep sets in. So I just ordered another to tide me over until I can afforda proper actuator. Insurance and rego is due. Boo.

croket

croket

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 734 posts
My billet kinugawa arrived today $130 delivered , very fast shipping great packaging and looks like quality bit of gear. I got 1.2 bar one , ill report back on monday night with my thoughts of it.

Hyper_Mike

Hyper_Mike

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • LocationGold Coast

I am using a Turbo Tech MBC now and its great!!!!

croket

croket

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 734 posts
Well ive fitted and tested my kinugawa 18 psi actuator and im only seeing 15 psi , i opened the thing up and confirmed its a 18 psi spring in it. I boost leak tested and have no leaks so im a little disapionted in my actuator. Looks as though ill have to run my mbc to pick up the 3 extra psi i was chasing

Geo&Kez

Geo&Kez

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts
  • LocationPerth
If your actuator is being feed from the turbo outlet, and your boost gauge is feed from the manifold, you probably are just seeing 3 pressure drop. Maybe.
I HATE BEING BIPOLAR........IT'S AWESOME!!

croket

croket

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 734 posts
I tapped the gauge into the line for actuator and its the same

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts
  • LocationBuddhist Temple NSW
Kinugawa strikes again....
[qoute name="BMGTZ" post="331212" timestamp="1467451744"]I don't know anything ...
Trust in the master of taxis.... He will set you straight[/quote]

croket

croket

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 734 posts
Should have gone 22psi that way i would have got 18 psi haha , whats the deal will running w/g line from somewhere else ? Could it be run ftom the manifold ?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users