Welcome to 4GTuner
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Eek! Probs with suspension and car a bit slow ?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

Dave_GSR1.8

Dave_GSR1.8

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

So, I was off work last week, so I did some reading of the “Evolution 1-3, CC GSR Technical” forum, starting at page 122. Lots of info and out of that came many things to consider...

A couple of topics that gave me pause for thought were suspension issues and speed.

Issue with suspension is that I have fitted some whiteline caster correction bushes and now when on full right lock and reversing I get the wheel rubbing on the suspension, thought nothing of it until I saw a comment that this can be a defectible issue – is this the case ?

Other issue is speed; I went to Heathcote the other weekend and did some 1/4 mile runs, best time was 15.1, I thought this wasn't too bad but then read that, in the past, quite a few CC GSR's with minor mods (equivalent to what I'm running) did anything down to high 13's. So, is 131 KW atw doing a 15.1 slow ? I think it is, what do others think ? Stock 1/4, I think, was 15.4. Not blaming the car, probably me. Reason is 60' time, was 2.3 secs, is this slow? I was talking to one of the EVO guys there that weekend and he suggested that if I could get 0.1 sec off the 60' time I could gain 0.2 sec on ET, so maybe I can get into high 14's on that basis, so naturally, I have to ask, how do I manage that?!! Car is limited to just under 5k revs for launch via ECM Lite, should I raise this a bit for harder take off. ? Running an Exedy HD clutch, not sure if that is a limiting factor, any observations/comments on that appreciated. I've seen comments in other topics that they are not very good...

BMGTZ

BMGTZ

Grumpy old man from the school of hard knocks

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,554 posts
  • Locationsouthside of perth WA

it is all in the launch......bog it down and its slow.....too many revs and fried clutch. 

try soft rear susp settings and play with tyre pressures

BRIAN
Black evo 1 full road rego and done properly/legally

I have heaps of parts...but never the one I need.

Benzo4gT

Benzo4gT

Operator

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,318 posts
  • LocationThe home of unemployed bogans - Hervey bay,

On street tyres 1.6 sec 60 ft is about as good as you'll get in anything, provided, as has been mentioned above, you get a good launch.

Don't be too disheartened, it's all about practise. Set your launch rpm at max torque, whatever that is for a '93

Then you just need to practise launching hard, get some good times, and then you get to practice changing transfer cases and clutches, it's all win win :P

Bit of a tool, and owner of "The Turdis" - Hervey Bay

jack be nimble

jack be nimble

master of none

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,299 posts
  • Locationperth sor. 20 mins from brians place
Your mph is the hp. The et is how well you use it.

My ute is pretty close to 100mph trap speed. But its a bit lighter than a gsr, but its only fwd.

Post all the times/ speeds and I will run it on the calculator.

You tube launch dsm and see if you can get some tips

Edited by jack of all, 17 April 2014 - 10:31 AM.

4g93t jumbuck conversion. PRANGED 18/3/12, CHECK MY MEMBER RIDES Page 11. no serious human injuries.
ON THE ENGINE STAND. g4cs 2.4l + Gt35r. PLUS: auto conversion + Awd coming.
thanks for parts and help: BMGTZ, EVOCPE, cwolf, Benozi, Jamo-GSR, 1JUM2NV, RXVII..much appreciated, cheers guys.
Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. —Enzo Ferrari
REMEMBER: you cant polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter.

Evo-00x

Evo-00x

4G63T AWD CC COUPE

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,151 posts
  • LocationNewcastle

Of course any part of your wheel or tyre coming into contact with the car's suspension or body is a defectable offence. But more importantly its a huge safety issue!

Your wheel offset is too bias toward the struts, your wheel and tyre combo diameter is too tall, your tyre width is too wide, or your strut top adjustment is adjusted for too much castor or camber and needs checking. 

Those castor bushes shouldn't cause any issues provided all the others items I just listed are in spec. Heaps of guys run those bushes, including myself, and never had an issue with it.  

AWD. 2 Litre. GTX3076R 0.82.
330kw atw @ 28psi 98 pump fuel.

372kw atw @ 28psi E85 Flexfuel.
EVOLVED AWD COUPE
WWW.EVOCOUPE.NET

Dave_GSR1.8

Dave_GSR1.8

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

There you go Jack, scanned time slip

Attached File  Heathcote run 3 0604.pdf   143.2KB   36 downloads

Dave_GSR1.8

Dave_GSR1.8

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Yeah, thats why I was surprised!

On the front;

- stock original wheels

- stock size tyres

- stock original sway bar

- stock original springs

- stock ride height

- KYB replacement struts

- whiteline castor bushes

- whiteline camber bolts

- nolathane bushes for front lower locating arm

- suspension settings as per whitlelines recommendations from their "works" article of many years ago (late 1990's I think)

So it looks absolutely stock when you look at it, drives so much better, but has that problem on full right lock when reversing (does not happen at any other time). The wheel aligner didn't mention anyting about the chassis being bent, and I see no reason to think so, so I am puzzled, I will have another look tomorrow. 

Edited by Dave_GSR1.8, 17 April 2014 - 01:42 PM.

Evo-00x

Evo-00x

4G63T AWD CC COUPE

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,151 posts
  • LocationNewcastle

Hmm something definitely wrong going on somewhere with your car.

I also have Whiteline castor bushes (not camber bolts). Im using BC coilovers setup as per Whiteline GSR camber/castor specs. 110mm ride height and 17x7" wheels with 215 wide tyres, stock 42 offset rims. Didn't even scrub when I was using 40 offset rims. 

Perhaps one of your lower control arms is bent? Check the front wheel track even. 

Happened to me once. I got a set of lower control arms off a frontcut a while back and the frontcut must have been dropped on the ground and bent both lower control arms upwards at the hub at almost the same amount on both sides. It gave me free camber lol.... but my wheel track was out. We discovered that during measuring all the specs for engineering. Replaced them and it sorted the wheel track back to oem.  

EVOLVED AWD COUPE
WWW.EVOCOUPE.NET

jack be nimble

jack be nimble

master of none

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,299 posts
You are at 95mph. That is good for a 14.2 sec 1/4, a 9.1sec 1/8 and a 1.8 60'
On a perfect day. ..

But you have awd, so the 60' time is pretty much achievable.
Also, that in near 0.5 sec off the 60' and results in near 1.0 sec off the et.
Do you have the nlts enabled? Mine actually shifts nicer with nlts. It rarely misses the 2-3 change. As you have ecmlink, you only need to pull pedal bracket and add switch mount and run wire to ecu. Mine is a top mount switch, the hole is there already, just need some threads.

Edited by jack of all, 17 April 2014 - 08:57 PM.

4g93t jumbuck conversion. PRANGED 18/3/12, CHECK MY MEMBER RIDES Page 11. no serious human injuries.
thanks for parts and help: BMGTZ, EVOCPE, cwolf, Benozi, Jamo-GSR, 1JUM2NV, RXVII..much appreciated, cheers guys.

Evo-00x

Evo-00x

4G63T AWD CC COUPE

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,151 posts
  • LocationNewcastle

His 60' time of 2.3 seconds killed it for him immediately. If you can bring it down 0.3-0.5 seconds by launching harder you would make up a lot of time off the line.

The 5k rev limit for launching is too low IMO. It'll save your driveline but you want to be shooting off the line harder.

Before your next outing, practice your launching technique by raising your launch limit to 5500rpm. Then try again at 6000rpm whilst lightly loading the clutch just before releasing it to see what technique and rpm works best.

EVOLVED AWD COUPE
WWW.EVOCOUPE.NET

jack be nimble

jack be nimble

master of none

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,299 posts
Benzos 1.6 60' will have you running a 13.8. Not sure how many guys are that fast.

I would like to know is if the 95mph is good compared to stock or others with same mods

jack be nimble

jack be nimble

master of none

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,299 posts
http://www.4gtuner.c...k-standard-gsr/

Smutt is in the top 10 in wa (7th?) for blown 4cylinder, and gsrwrc has the utube clip of a awesome drive. Hard to argue with that

leadfoot

leadfoot

• Moderators
  • 3,429 posts
  • LocationGold Coast
Jack with just evo boltons I grabbed a 13.6

A mid 14 sounds about right for a bog stock gsr

yes it's me KHUBNER

White Knight

White Knight

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 930 posts
  • LocationGympie
I have a wheels magazine somewhere here from when the gsr was released in Australia (I may have given it to Benzo.....). But, the gsr was running 15.3 and 145kmh from memory, however that was on a correvit timer, so with roll out from the drags, so you should be able to run 0.4 or 5 quicker with the roll out. Your mph sounds healthy though mate.

Dave_GSR1.8

Dave_GSR1.8

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

That's excellent feedback, many thanks, now I have got something to work with (ie me!). I am going to have a crack at Heathcote again in June and will aim to get it under 15sec (realistically, just under, in my fantasies low 14's...)

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts
  • LocationBuddhist Temple NSW
Drive it like you stole it!
[qoute name="BMGTZ" post="331212" timestamp="1467451744"]I don't know anything ...
Trust in the master of taxis.... He will set you straight[/quote]

jack be nimble

jack be nimble

master of none

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,299 posts
With your opening post about wheel rubbing.

Often need to centralise the rack when getting a alignment. Maybe you have more left lock than right lock.
Steer hard right and measure gap tyre to rail. Then hard left and measure same gap on other wheel. Compare.

When getting alignment they can measure these angles. Then halve it to get the rack centred. Then adjust the rack ends to suit, then move the steering wheel to suit.

Easier may be just count the steering wheel turns from straight to hard left compared to straight to hard right...
Centralise rack, move steering wheel, get alignment.

Dave_GSR1.8

Dave_GSR1.8

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Thanks Jack, you nailed it

More turns to right full lock from dead centre than to left full lock.

Another thing to add to the to do, go faster, fix it list.

Also, launch control set to 4500rpm, will set to 5500rpm for next go at Heathcote 

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts
  • LocationBuddhist Temple NSW

Add 4g63t & your problem will be solved..... :o

[qoute name="BMGTZ" post="331212" timestamp="1467451744"]I don't know anything ...
Trust in the master of taxis.... He will set you straight[/quote]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users