Welcome to 4GTuner
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

W5M33 syncro part numbers

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

RocksolidGVR4

RocksolidGVR4

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • LocationPerth
Hi guys,

Does anyone know what the OEM part numbers are for the syncro' s in the VR4 AWD gearbox are and where you can get them from in Australia if possible.

I'm having my box rebuild and number 2 syncro needs replacing, which I hear is common.

Any advise will be helpful

Thanks

Bryce

Bryce

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
  • LocationFernvale, QLD

vr4box_zpsbd4926ae.jpg

http://img.photobuck...zpsbd4926ae.jpg

Dont know what a syncro is so gimme the number and ill cross reference and find the OEM part number =)

4G63t Satria. Should be good.... ish.

croket

croket

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 734 posts
  • Locationwestern australia
Mike while its apart you should double synchro it too , plus get it built to the specs in the gearbox section here so all the preloads and stuff are setup to shift at high rpm.

jack be nimble

jack be nimble

master of none

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,299 posts
  • Locationperth sor. 20 mins from brians place
I got one for 2nd for my gsr box. I will need to reorder parts so this one is surplus. I can replace it next order
4g93t jumbuck conversion. PRANGED 18/3/12, CHECK MY MEMBER RIDES Page 11. no serious human injuries.
ON THE ENGINE STAND. g4cs 2.4l + Gt35r. PLUS: auto conversion + Awd coming.
thanks for parts and help: BMGTZ, EVOCPE, cwolf, Benozi, Jamo-GSR, 1JUM2NV, RXVII..much appreciated, cheers guys.
Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. —Enzo Ferrari
REMEMBER: you cant polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter.

RocksolidGVR4

RocksolidGVR4

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • LocationPerth
Hi Bryce,

The parts that I'm after are 22596Z, 22596V, 22596Y, 22596W and 22596X. Thanks

Croket do you need to update the hub when double synchro? I've read the post about the preload adjustments so I'll have to let my builder know.

Thank jack I shall let you know if I need it, I'm not sure if I need more than just the one synchro. Where do you buy your parts from?

jack be nimble

jack be nimble

master of none

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,299 posts
Came from jackstransmissions
4g93t jumbuck conversion. PRANGED 18/3/12, CHECK MY MEMBER RIDES Page 11. no serious human injuries.
thanks for parts and help: BMGTZ, EVOCPE, cwolf, Benozi, Jamo-GSR, 1JUM2NV, RXVII..much appreciated, cheers guys.

brisvr4

brisvr4

• Moderators
  • 4,486 posts
  • LocationBrisbane - Southside
I'd get in touch with TMZ performance. Tim ships fast and has great customer service!

Tim
Dsmlink V3 + E85 :drool: 11.37 @ 131.46 ... still more in her

Remember Kids... Google does not equal research!

Magnus
How much time do you spend in a parking lot with your performance car? If you do a lot of parking lot driving, and hang out in parking lots, chances are you are a ricer, go home and read import tuner. If you’re complaining about noise you should not be modifying your car. You should also consider no longer being a man, please hand in your genitals at the door.

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts
  • LocationBuddhist Temple NSW
Heard great things about TMZ too.
[qoute name="BMGTZ" post="331212" timestamp="1467451744"]I don't know anything ...
Trust in the master of taxis.... He will set you straight[/quote]

Evo-00x

Evo-00x

4G63T AWD CC COUPE

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,151 posts
  • LocationNewcastle

For GSR's and EVO's Ive got no problems, but the GVR4's came out with 3 different synchro sets.

What's the chassis number of your car and the actual month and year of build?

When I enter those part item numbers you provided above into ASA it gives me several choices for several year models with different Mitsubishi part numbers. You have to be careful as some came out with single synchro 2nd, others double 2nd, then big and small hub 3rd and 4th gears as well. Some late runs of EVO 1 had the same issue with big and small hub diameter 3rd and 4ths and difficult to tell without opening the box first before ordering parts. 

AWD. 2 Litre. GTX3076R 0.82.
330kw atw @ 28psi 98 pump fuel.

372kw atw @ 28psi E85 Flexfuel.
EVOLVED AWD COUPE
WWW.EVOCOUPE.NET

twicks69

twicks69

TMZ Performance

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationWaukesha, WI, USA
The gvr4 2nd gear should all be single synchro unless it was a special edition like a Monte Carlo, etc. As for the gear itself, there are 3 variations depending on the vehicle and transmission build date. The early ones (1987-1991.2 or so) use a small diameter needle bearing, the later ones use the large diameter needle bearing, and the GVR4 special edition boxes with the tall 1st, close ratio 2/3/4 and tall 5th with 64-tooth ring gear and viscous front diff use Evo 1 gearset ratios with two needle bearing variations.

As for the installation of the new synchro, if it is a 1.86 ratio 2nd gear and is a large diameter needle bearing, md737652, then you can use several synchro options depending on if you want double springs in the 1/2 hub and slider, organic or brass linings, or use a new 2nd gear or machine your existing one to accept a double synchro.

Like stated above, is the transmission already disassembled? I would order the proper parts based upon what is actually inside the gearbox.
Tim Zimmer
TMZ Performance, LLC.
1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX, 3200# Street Car
2.3L Groden/CP 7-Bolt, Borg Warner 74mm, AEM EMS...
779AWHP on low boost/partial pull to 6400rpm
766AWHP/719TQ on old setup with 2.3L Eagle/Ross, Garrett GT4088R.
9.96@ 148.8mph on 641AWHP/567TQ.

Evo-00x

Evo-00x

4G63T AWD CC COUPE

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,151 posts
  • LocationNewcastle

Ahh Tim, my gearbox brother from another mother from another country lol :lol:

RocksolidGVR4, there's a good chance your chassis number and build date of your GVR4 might work in ASA if its Jaspec.

If you can provide them to me its worth a shot as I'll look it up (via a PM if you don't want to disclose them publically in the forum).

EVOLVED AWD COUPE
WWW.EVOCOUPE.NET

RocksolidGVR4

RocksolidGVR4

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • LocationPerth

I've had a look on the TNZ website and from what i have read on their website they know the stuff, if all else fails i shall send them a email asking them for advice but i'm hoping to get my box rebuild asap.  If i have to wait for parts then i guess that what i need to do :(

The gearbox is out of an A spec galant vr4, the chassis number which is on the plate is JMFHH5S41LJ000462 and build date is Jul 1990 but when i checked the paperwork in the glovebox the chassis number is JMFHHJS41LJ000462 and build date Nov 1990 but this could just be a miss print :unsure:

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts
  • LocationBuddhist Temple NSW
Dunno if you noticed but the reply in post number 10 is the man himself from TMZ.
[qoute name="BMGTZ" post="331212" timestamp="1467451744"]I don't know anything ...
Trust in the master of taxis.... He will set you straight[/quote]

Evo-00x

Evo-00x

4G63T AWD CC COUPE

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,151 posts
  • LocationNewcastle

Ah sorry man should have been clearer - The chassis number as in the number stamped on the back firewall, not the number on the compliance plate or strut tower. Cheers.

EVOLVED AWD COUPE
WWW.EVOCOUPE.NET

RocksolidGVR4

RocksolidGVR4

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • LocationPerth
No Jamo didn't notice that it was Tim from TMZ was reading this tread on my phone the other day hehe my bad.

I' ve since sold the shell that the gearbox came out off but have texted the guy who brought it and he still has it so he's going to get the number off the fire wall for me when he can.

RocksolidGVR4

RocksolidGVR4

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • LocationPerth

So I texted the guy that i sold my old shell to and luckly he still had it, i asked him to double check the chassis number which was stamped into the fire wall.  The number that he replied with was FSNE39AMZ00164 and the number which is stamped on the alloy plate which is pop rivitted to the firewall was JMFHH5S41LJ000462.

Why would these two numbers be different ???

I called back the guy who has my gearbox to give him this new number to hopefully help with locating parts,  he was very confused to say the least and was telling me that I had a car which someone had done the doggy with. 

If it was doggy im sure that the cop's would have told me this when i tried to have it rego'd last year and would have wanted to ask me a few question.....now i am confused lol

Evo-00x

Evo-00x

4G63T AWD CC COUPE

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,151 posts
  • LocationNewcastle

The number on the firewall is the chassis build number from the production line in Japan.

The number on the strut tower tops and compliance plate is the chassis number allocated when the car is complied in Australia in Nov 1990.

Hmm... no luck. I cant get that FSNE firewall chassis code working in Mitsu ASA.

I suppose the JMFHH number pretty much confirms that it was complied and sold here in Australia as an Auspec GVR4 and not in the Jap version of Mitsu ASA.

Unless someone has access to the Mitsubishi Australia parts software program, you wont know unless you open the gearbox up and take measurments of the synchro rings. 

Edited by EVO-00X, 01 April 2014 - 11:12 AM.

EVOLVED AWD COUPE
WWW.EVOCOUPE.NET

RocksolidGVR4

RocksolidGVR4

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • LocationPerth

I've finally had my gearbox stripped down an assessed, they called me back today and have told me that i need a new 2nd gear selector hub assembly.

So my question is now does anyone have a good second hand selector hub or know where i could get one from? or failing that does anyone have a spare gearbox :thumbsup:

jack be nimble

jack be nimble

master of none

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,299 posts
Just get it from tmz or jacks.

Evo-00x

Evo-00x

4G63T AWD CC COUPE

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,151 posts
  • LocationNewcastle

Yep, the typical 1st/2nd hub and slider assembly cops the most abuse.

Did they tell you if it was single or a double synchro 2nd? Chances are its just the single.

You can get the parts from TMZ Performance:

You're going to need Mitsu part numbers:

1 x MD749414 = 1 x 1st/2nd hub and slider assembly

2 x MD742445 = 2 x new 1st/2nd springs. You could possibly get 3 but without knowing your setup you could stick with just the 2.

3 x MD742775 = 3 x new synchro keys.

1 x XXXXXXX = 1 x 2nd gear synchro, whether single or double. (2nd gear has 32 teeth, = 19/32 = 1.684)

A fresh new seal kit all round makes perfect sense with every rebuild also

All up you will probably be looking at around $300 + delivery on top. [don't quote me on the price lol].

Having pulled apart gearboxes, the last thing you want to do is change one thing only to discover you put it back into the car then have another issue a short time later.

I strongly urge you to get them to check the rest of the gearbox for wear and tear before reassembly.

This is what we meant by a number of synchro rings! (see 2 pics attached)

See all the applicable model codes... One pic is for E38A and the other E39A.

And we still don't know what model GVR4 you have? lol

Attached Thumbnails

• E38A GVR4 Synchro Rings.png
  • E39A GVR4 Synchro Rings.png

Edited by EVO-00X, 24 April 2014 - 10:48 AM.

EVOLVED AWD COUPE
WWW.EVOCOUPE.NET

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users