Welcome to 4GTuner
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Boost leak

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

xjokux

xjokux

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 772 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

I've got a boost leak at the injectors. It's leaking at the base of the injector where the rubber seals are.

I bought new seals from meek but still leaks. Tried tightening the bolts but no go. 

Has anyone dealt with this problem or a permanent fixture for this.   

1991 CB Lancer GSR. Fully restored. Forged vr4 motor. FP Manifold. 20g. 38mm Tial wastegate. 3" Punishment Racing dumpipe. FIC 950cc. Ecmlink.  Koni inserts coilovers. Evo 4 brake setup. Sprint 15' Harts racing. 280 cams. 4g61 inlet. Evo 8 Throttle body. 

1995 SSG RVR
2014 ASX Diesel 4WD

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts
  • LocationBuddhist Temple NSW

Are all the o rings on the injectors too? 

[qoute name="BMGTZ" post="331212" timestamp="1467451744"]I don't know anything ...
Trust in the master of taxis.... He will set you straight[/quote]

micky_vr4

micky_vr4

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • LocationAdelaide

yep, I had a similar problem a while ago. Turned out I had missed installing an O-ring at 2am in the morning...  :fuuuuu:

Also, check that the top rubber spacers on the injectors are not too old and crushed out of shape. If they are, you won't be able to get adequate compression on the seals and therefore no seal.

J-spec white RS-Evolution GVR4 - soon to move for the first time in 2 years  :thumbsup: 

A-spec maroon GVR4

A-spec silver GVR4 - sold and racing!!!

xjokux

xjokux

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 772 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Are all the o rings on the injectors too? 

Pretty sure

yep, I had a similar problem a while ago. Turned out I had missed installing an O-ring at 2am in the morning...  :fuuuuu:

Also, check that the top rubber spacers on the injectors are not too old and crushed out of shape. If they are, you won't be able to get adequate compression on the seals and therefore no seal.

So it could not be the lower rubber seals but an compression issue within the injectors and not sealing it properly. 

1991 CB Lancer GSR. Fully restored. Forged vr4 motor. FP Manifold. 20g. 38mm Tial wastegate. 3" Punishment Racing dumpipe. FIC 950cc. Ecmlink.  Koni inserts coilovers. Evo 4 brake setup. Sprint 15' Harts racing. 280 cams. 4g61 inlet. Evo 8 Throttle body. 

1995 SSG RVR
2014 ASX Diesel 4WD

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts

Just take the rail offf and check all the rubbers and o rings. And then re install being careful not to crush or misalign the rubbers when you do this.

[qoute name="BMGTZ" post="331212" timestamp="1467451744"]I don't know anything ...

micky_vr4

micky_vr4

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • LocationAdelaide

So it could not be the lower rubber seals but an compression issue within the injectors and not sealing it properly. 

Yeah, the rail may not be compressing the seals enough, the bottom seals may not be aligned quite right or the O-rings at the top may just be old and cracked.

This is the rubber spacer/seal I was talking about on the top of the injector:

injectorseal_zps3eeff701.jpg

J-spec white RS-Evolution GVR4 - soon to move for the first time in 2 years  :thumbsup: 

A-spec maroon GVR4

A-spec silver GVR4 - sold and racing!!!

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts

And the o rings I'm talking about are under that seal.

Hyper_Mike

Hyper_Mike

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • LocationGold Coast

Mine is EXACTLY the same! Can hear a hissing noise coming from the injectors after i changed them to the 560cc ones. I am going to pull the rail back off and check the seals on mine.

xjokux

xjokux

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 772 posts
  • LocationBrisbane
I have 560 too. I'm tuning with ecmlink atm but the boost leak is pretty bad.

1995 SSG RVR
2014 ASX Diesel 4WD

Hyper_Mike

Hyper_Mike

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • LocationGold Coast

Yep mine is fairly bad too, just had my ECU chipped and tuned using evoscan. The leak is pretty loud haha

croket

croket

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 734 posts
  • Locationwestern australia

oh no this might be my problem too , ive got 560s and am expieriencing boost leak like syptoms !!!!

xjokux

xjokux

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 772 posts
  • LocationBrisbane
Good temp fix is thread tape around the lower rubber seal. Make sure you lap it a few timed so it's tight fit.

1995 SSG RVR
2014 ASX Diesel 4WD

Hyper_Mike

Hyper_Mike

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • LocationGold Coast

Wouldn't the thread tape melt?

Edited by Hyper_Mike, 26 March 2014 - 12:38 PM.

xjokux

xjokux

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 772 posts
  • LocationBrisbane
It soften but doesn't melt. I had it on before changing to new/ lower rubber seal which made it worse actually.

Doesn't completely seal it but seals a tad better.

1995 SSG RVR
2014 ASX Diesel 4WD

jack be nimble

jack be nimble

master of none

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,299 posts
  • Locationperth sor. 20 mins from brians place
Wasnt someone packing the seals or machining the standoffs?
Silicone them in and be done with it

Edited by jack of all, 26 March 2014 - 01:09 PM.

4g93t jumbuck conversion. PRANGED 18/3/12, CHECK MY MEMBER RIDES Page 11. no serious human injuries.
ON THE ENGINE STAND. g4cs 2.4l + Gt35r. PLUS: auto conversion + Awd coming.
thanks for parts and help: BMGTZ, EVOCPE, cwolf, Benozi, Jamo-GSR, 1JUM2NV, RXVII..much appreciated, cheers guys.
Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. —Enzo Ferrari
REMEMBER: you cant polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter.

xjokux

xjokux

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 772 posts
  • LocationBrisbane
Would the silicone hold under pressure?

1995 SSG RVR
2014 ASX Diesel 4WD

jack be nimble

jack be nimble

master of none

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,299 posts
Yep, I have it plugging my biss screw and that was frothing like mad with boost tester and bubbly water.

Try it and see, its easy to remove. Just needs a wipe on the seals as you put them in. Obviously it wont be much good if you load it into injector nozzle or fill the intake with it. Like vegemite, I little bit does the trick.
4g93t jumbuck conversion. PRANGED 18/3/12, CHECK MY MEMBER RIDES Page 11. no serious human injuries.
thanks for parts and help: BMGTZ, EVOCPE, cwolf, Benozi, Jamo-GSR, 1JUM2NV, RXVII..much appreciated, cheers guys.

xjokux

xjokux

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 772 posts
  • LocationBrisbane
Automotive or industrial silicone?

1995 SSG RVR
2014 ASX Diesel 4WD

jack be nimble

jack be nimble

master of none

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,299 posts
Probably auto. Yea, auto. (Jamo is watching)

vr401

vr401

4G63T

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 929 posts
  • LocationSydney
Do you guys wet the rubber seals before inserting injectors with the rails in position? Once you have seal not siting properly and you turn the car on and reach working heat temperature seals are gone, so you have to do it the right way very first time.
Lancer Evolution 7 GSR '01

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users