Welcome to 4GTuner
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Starting from scratch

- - - - - Turbo intercooler injectors manifold

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Murdra

Murdra

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationAustralia

So after much dicking around, i finally got off my ass and got my engine out today. I've had a cracked piston for awhile and my gearbox has been crunching second.

I'm currently tossing around a few idea's for different turbo's and yes I've read again and again on this forums and others but here's another guy asking about what kind of options i have. And not only that, what kind of supporting mod's I'm also going to need. i have a removable chip, and i have upgraded my dump pipe and got a 3.5" exhaust.

My aim is for 200-220kw atw. What everyone seems to recommend is a big td05 16g, can that make that sort of power, or am i going for something else? This is a pretty clean slate to work on so I'm going to need new injectors and manifold and currently in the process of getting a bigger intercooler with 2.5" piping. Any other information on things i'll need to look at or have missed and needs to be upgraded when chasing more power would be much help.

LumpyVR4

LumpyVR4

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • LocationSydney

In my opinion if you want 220 atw you should go for a 20g. I have a 16g and a Kamak 20g is on my wish list. They have a 9 blade turbine and billet compressor which is supposed to help them spool close to a stock 16g. You'll need bigger injectors. Go big like 850cc, so you can tune for E85 if you like.The stock intake manifold will be fine, but the elbow into the throttle body has to go. A magna 055 MAF, also called a 2g in the states, is a must along with good intake and IC piping.

If you have the stock exhaust manifold it's probably cracked and will need to be repalced. You can go stainless, but they commonly crack, or something like a GTpumps EVO III style cast manifold. Your dump and exhaust will be fine. Get an EMClink programmable chip for your ECU so it can be tuned on the fly like an aftermarket ECU. Some cams and springs wouldn't be a bad idea either. 264s for the street or 272s if you track it. If you want to start spending money, you can do things like knife edging your crank to save some weight off the bottom end, and use forged pistons and H beam rods. Then get the whole lot balanced.

Depending on your budget, you could also get yourself a aftermarket 100mm crank, 156mm rods and raised pin pistons to go 2.3L. Then a 20g is definately in order. With that you could make 220 kw without trying.

Then you get to upgrade the drive train to handle the power. ;)

Edited by LumpyVR4, 02 March 2014 - 10:15 AM.

ECM Link, 399 MAF, 560cc injectors, 270 cams, TD05-20G @22psi, 3" dump, full 3" mandrel exhaust, intercooler, Fidanza alloy flywheel, 4 bolt LSD, EVO IV brakes, Strut braces, coil overs and sway bars.

brisvr4

brisvr4

• Moderators
  • 4,486 posts
  • LocationBrisbane - Southside
If you are only after 220 or so I'd leave the bottom end stock and maybe add some small cams.
But seeing as it needs a new piston I'd just run basic h beams and forged pistons.
850's are too small for E85. I wouldn't use anything under 1100 cc myself. With ecmlink I currently run 2150's on E85 and it drives like stock.

Tim
Dsmlink V3 + E85 :drool: 11.37 @ 131.46 ... still more in her

Remember Kids... Google does not equal research!

Magnus
How much time do you spend in a parking lot with your performance car? If you do a lot of parking lot driving, and hang out in parking lots, chances are you are a ricer, go home and read import tuner. If you’re complaining about noise you should not be modifying your car. You should also consider no longer being a man, please hand in your genitals at the door.

Murdra

Murdra

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Thanks for the feedback so far,

My only thoughts with a 20g would be that it would be quite laggy when I'm driving around on the street, they don't really start spooling till about 3k or so don't they?

I will be heading to the track quite often, but for the most part it will remain my daily.

Would i be able to make 220kw atw with a big 16g instead of a 20g, and maybe some small cams running 20-24psi or so? Or would it be maxing it out.

Also what about an 18g instead of a 20g, would that be the best of both worlds?

Edited by Murdra, 04 March 2014 - 02:12 AM.

LumpyVR4

LumpyVR4

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • LocationSydney

The saying for an 18g is all of the power of a 16g with the lag of a 20. Start out with a 16g which can be had relatively cheaply and you can always sell it  later if necessary. If you find you want more power step up to the 20g. With ECMlink and big injectors already, any retuning necessary won't be a problem. 

Once again a this is personal recommendation on the 16g, make sure you get an EVO III spec 16g (it's a little bigger than a big 16g) with a ported turbine housing and a 34mm waste gate flapper, or an external if that floats your boat.

On the question of boost I believe (get confirmation), that at 24 or 25 pounds the compressor on a 16g becomes inefficient and will heat up the air coming out of the turbo. At that point you are better off with the 20g. A 16g will do 20 PSI all day long without issue.

ECM Link, 399 MAF, 560cc injectors, 270 cams, TD05-20G @22psi, 3" dump, full 3" mandrel exhaust, intercooler, Fidanza alloy flywheel, 4 bolt LSD, EVO IV brakes, Strut braces, coil overs and sway bars.

croket

croket

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 734 posts
  • Locationwestern australia

Just get a 20g you wont be disapionted with it , i daily mine with gt pumps 20g and their matching cast manifold. Ive got 272 cams and 9.5:1 comp , its spooling around 3k and hits full just on 4 . If you go 272 cams and upgrade the valve train to suit it will easy rev to 8k all day then the lag becomes irrelevent coz half of your revs is on full boost. Perfect street combination , peforms well at the track and will do the 220 kws you

timmay

timmay

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationAdelaide

Has anyone had any first hand experience running 16g or 20g TD05's sourced from ebay?

Prices starting at $300 ish seems very cheap! Are they rubbish like i would expect!?

What makes/brands are good..... Thanks  :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Turbo, intercooler, injectors, manifold

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users