Welcome to 4GTuner
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What oil should you run?

- - - - - Oil Evo iv Synthetic Conventional

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Ericjustin14

Ericjustin14

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB, Canada
I got a 96 Evo IV GSR. I'm new to the jdm and Evo scene so I'm probably gonna be asking a lot of noob questions but hey gotta start somewhere. Anyways what oil should I run in my Evo? I've heard all sorts of stuff from synthetic because it's a performance car to conventional becUse something about the turbo(?). Heard I should do 5-30 some say 10-40. What oil is best?!

Side note: it is my daily driver and I will have to drive it in cold tempuratures so maybe no thick oils till summer. Anyways all help is appreciated!

Geo&Kez

Geo&Kez

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts
  • LocationPerth
HPR 10-50 full zinc, was the general consensus last time this question was asked. Zinc is good for turbo bearings I think.
I HATE BEING BIPOLAR........IT'S AWESOME!!

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts
  • LocationBuddhist Temple NSW

But is that oil ok to use in cold climate ? 

[qoute name="BMGTZ" post="331212" timestamp="1467451744"]I don't know anything ...
Trust in the master of taxis.... He will set you straight[/quote]

Geo&Kez

Geo&Kez

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts
  • LocationPerth
Fuck, Canada. Yeah good point Jamo, didn't notice that. With my bearing clearances and squirters he would be ok........... Don't know about a proper engine but.
I HATE BEING BIPOLAR........IT'S AWESOME!!

Ericjustin14

Ericjustin14

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB, Canada
Yeah so any other ideas? I'm pretty sure 5-30 is the viscosity but should I run synthetic or conventional?

Django

Django

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationAustralia

There is an owners manual that comes with cars when they are sold that will explain the oils you should be using. I'd say you are spot on with 5-30 for very cold climate and move up to 10-30 or 10-40 depending on how hot it gets where you are in summer.

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts
  • LocationBuddhist Temple NSW

Yeah so any other ideas? I'm pretty sure 5-30 is the viscosity but should I run synthetic or conventional?

Synthetic.

[qoute name="BMGTZ" post="331212" timestamp="1467451744"]I don't know anything ...
Trust in the master of taxis.... He will set you straight[/quote]

OLDIE

OLDIE

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 694 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Synthetic.

BUT only if it is a recoed motor and run in with a good running in oil first as the rings will not bed in properly if synthetic is used. FWIW syn oil has a greater shear strength and all the molecules are the same size .

+1 for full zinc but it can damage the cat and that is why the zinc levels were lowered to less than 1000 PPM in modern/newer blends of  oils.

Zinc is a good anti scuffing additive that is good for plain bearing turbos,flat tappet cams and piston skirts.

Edited by OLDIE, 21 January 2014 - 08:27 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Oil, Evo iv, Synthetic, Conventional

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users