Welcome to 4GTuner
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Noise, Respect, The Need For Speed And The Grumpy Hill Billy

- - - - -

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
24 replies to this topic

NoisyIsNotFaster

NoisyIsNotFaster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Dear 4GTuner members,

First off, let me say that I understand your need for speed, I know the thrill that speed and noise can create. I also understand why racing at night might appeal to some people, and some will even argue that it's safer racing at night due to less traffic on the road. My message is to those people who are racing at night on our touristic routes in the Brisbane area.

Please understand that people do live on these touristic routes and in those rural properties, they work just like most of you, they get up at 05:00am and go to work every day, and when they get home they are tired and just want to relax and enjoy the peaceful environment that is the national park. A thing that these people do not enjoy, is getting woken up at night because of the excessive noise that some racers generate when they drive on the roads.

Not only are these people a danger to themselves (which is their own business) but they are a danger to others on the road. My wife had a very close call with a racer one night who almost collided with her as she drove home in one of the corners on Mt Nebo Road that has the dividing barriers. The racer decided to overtake his "mate" who was driving on the correct side of the road. Overtaking in the wrong lane of a barrier-divided corner is one of the silliest things that a driver could ever do on mountain roads. Had my wife not driven slowly as she usually does (45), she would have had a collision with this racer. Had this driver been a good driver he would have noticed her headlights reflecting on the railing which means oncoming traffic. We have pictures of this car as well as number plates from the security camera recordings of our home.

Aside the dangerous driving is the excessive noise that these cars generate. Having done plenty of tuning myself, I can tell a fast car from a slow one, and an emptied out muffler (or sawn off muffler) do not make your car any faster. If anything, it will make it more expensive to run, and in some cases even less powerful. Noone enjoys a loud car except the attention-seeker who drives it.

Yesterday night there was a car that sounded like a trumpet (the 1600CC kind), he wasn't fast, just loud, and lonely too. The only "tuning" this pov could afford was sawing off the muffler of his car, which did 0.0 in regards to performance. It did get him noticed though, by residents and police alike. This noise woke up everyone on our street, and as a result we are now grumpy: Thanks to trumpet-car, we are now grumpy; grumpy hillbillies who own and operate chainsaws for fun and drive big rusty 4x4's that can easily block off your escape route, which is not that hard on a 19km straight road without exits or ways out: All that's needed is me calling my hillbilly friend up the road and we pince you in from either side. We also know the area and if required can drive these mountain roads faster in our 3 tonne Ford than you can in your Scooby Doo.

So here's the deal : Want to race on touristic roads ? If you do it safely, and don't do silly things, we won't stop you. If you want to drive silly, spend a day at the race track for a race day. Don't saw off mufflers and don't cut out muffler parts, and don't use excessively loud pipes that don't do anything performance wise except get your car noted and make the local hillbillies angry. Basically, don't turn your car into a 110 decibel hillbilly-magnet. This way the hillbillies can get undisturbed sleep and you can continue driving over our wonderful and fun roads.

The second message is : Don't ruin the experience for your fellow drivers ! If you know someone who owns a loud car, tell them to put back some sense on their car and muffle them. If they want to performance-tune their car, there are plenty of other ways to get performance from your car than to mess with the exhaust. Hillbillies have no issues with racers that drive safely and quietly.

This way, we can all live together, quiet racers can still race at night over the beautiful roads and the hillbillies will stay in their beds. Please pass this message on to your fellow drivers and racers on other forums and facebook, so this message gets heard.

Respect,
A Hill Billy from Mt Nebo

Rockabilly

Rockabilly

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 874 posts
  • LocationSydney

So here's the deal : Want to race on touristic roads ? If you do it safely, and don't do silly things, we won't stop you.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ^^^ WHO IS WE hero from Nebo ?

Edited by Rockabilly, 13 January 2014 - 05:16 AM.

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts
  • LocationBuddhist Temple NSW

Lol...wonder how many other forums this guy will post on and get flamed?

Try Boostcruising ? Thats where most of the people you are venting at are located.

[qoute name="BMGTZ" post="331212" timestamp="1467451744"]I don't know anything ...
Trust in the master of taxis.... He will set you straight[/quote]

leadfoot

leadfoot

• Moderators
  • 3,429 posts
  • LocationGold Coast
Dear mr and or mrs hillbilly from mt nebo

We members of 4gt would
Like to extend our thought in response to your very polite letter.

We understand your frustrations in regards to loud and obnoxious vehicles. Disturbing your well deserved sleep please be assured waking you up is not our goal. Nor is racing on public roads we as enthusiasts do not condone racing on public streets of any kind.

Our primary aim here is to share our experiences and knowledge of vehicles manufactured by Mitsubishi primarily those whose engine begin with the suffix 4g. The members of qld rarely meet together and when we do it generally for a quiet dinner at an establishment run by a fellow member.

While we do aim to increase the power of our vehicles through modification you may notice by reading some of the build threads that our members make every attempt at keeping their car legal by carrying out their modifications in accordance with the relevant documents of compliance as applicable to them from our local governing bodies. This often comes at great expense I myself have spent over 1000 dolars on certifications that ensure my car conies with the applicable laws. While I understand your frustration toward those that remove sections of their exhaust simply to become louder or draw attention to themselves rest assured that is not our goal. While many of our vehicles have altered exhausts and as a result are Likely louder than average our alterations are generally in relation to pipe diameter to increase the flow capability. And many of us myself included have looked for options to make our cars quieter without sacrificing possible performance gains that a larger exhaust presents. Unfortunately out best option the varex a popular item is deemed illegal by our governing bodies. Despite this they are very popular amount members and when they come for sale in our classifieds are often sold on the same day they are presented.

We hope that you can spread the word of your dislike of being disturbed during the night.

Sincerely khubner 4gt moderator and qld member who's never driven mt nebo

yes it's me KHUBNER

MDK87

MDK87

Hyundai's can't fly!!

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,364 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Nah I can kinda empathise with this guy. There are A LOT of young drifters that think it's cool to slide around the mountain at night at WOT and Mt Nebo is very popular of late. All of the young P-platers go there, and yeah we all need somewhere to drive but like this guy said, have some respect.

I'm no saint either, I crashed my car up there on one of our T4G meets pushing my non-performance car to it's limit and have since avoided that mountain altogether (this is where Tim made up my tag line) :P

I guess I've grown up a little since then...or something.
A couple of my mates have crashed there since.

I know it's not much but I always try to be courteous by slowing down through the townships and gearing up. It's in everyone's best interests to be responsible and as safe as possible. I know I wouldn't be pleased if someone I knew got knocked off the road by some sideways hat bogan thinking it's cool to drive perpendicular to the roadway.

I'm pretty sure I know the corners he is talking about and he's right, I can't believe anyone at all would be dumb enough to do that..

Having said that, using scare tactics probably won't gain you anything but I can understand how passionate you might be about it, esp. after such a close call.

I know a few of these guys and I'm in some of their groups. I'll share your message.

brisvr4

brisvr4

• Moderators
  • 4,486 posts
  • LocationBrisbane - Southside
What's the point in replying? This guy has posted a single thread on multiple forums, he isn't hurrying back here....

Tim
Dsmlink V3 + E85 :drool: 11.37 @ 131.46 ... still more in her

Remember Kids... Google does not equal research!

Magnus
How much time do you spend in a parking lot with your performance car? If you do a lot of parking lot driving, and hang out in parking lots, chances are you are a ricer, go home and read import tuner. If you’re complaining about noise you should not be modifying your car. You should also consider no longer being a man, please hand in your genitals at the door.

NoisyIsNotFaster

NoisyIsNotFaster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

I have posted this message in 3 other forums, I hope this will be sufficient to get the required attention.

I'll keep an eye out for replies. Again, thanks for reading and if you would be able to spread the message it would be very much appreciated.

Some myth debunking for the exhaust modifiers :

http://www.gomog.com...ckpressure.html

In a nutshell: A 500 hp vehicle with a dual exhaust system only needs 2.5 inch pipes. Anything larger is overkill and might lead to power loss.

Edited by NoisyIsNotFaster, 13 January 2014 - 05:26 AM.

EV0300

EV0300

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts
  • LocationVictoria, Geelong

not quite sure how blocking the road with a bunch of angry hillbillies would make you much better/safer than these guys especially if they are coming at you quite quickly at night when visibility isnt at its best.

Rockabilly

Rockabilly

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 874 posts
  • LocationSydney

In a nutshell: A 500 hp vehicle with a dual exhaust system only needs 2.5 inch pipes. Anything larger is overkill and might lead to power loss.

No dual exhausts on our 4 cylinder cars here. Wrong forum hillbilly

says rockabilly

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts

Boostcruising is that a way →→→→→→→→→→→→→→ ♣♥★ 

[qoute name="BMGTZ" post="331212" timestamp="1467451744"]I don't know anything ...

leadfoot

leadfoot

• Moderators
  • 3,429 posts
  • LocationGold Coast

mr noiseyiynotfaster while your article may hold true for naturally aspirated vehicles it is not the same case when applied to a turbo charged vehicle such as those found in most of our little 4 cylinders. in a turbo charged car you are aiming for the biggest possible pressure drop between the exhaust manifold prior to the turbo and the exhaust behind it this allows the exhaust gasses to spin the compressor pump as fast as possible as they pass over the turbine as quickly as they can from there the objective is to maintain a good consistent gas velocity so as to keep the pressure difference as high as possible. in our turbocharged cars any restriction inside the exhaust is detrimental to the effect we are looking for. while yes going to big can be just as bad many of us have found a pipe diameter of 3" to be sufficient for our needs.

many opt for free flowing oval or cannon style mufflers that have a straight through design with a perforated tube surrounded by a larger chamber to allow the gasses to further expand hopefully dissipating some noise along the way.

again i would like to reiterate that our goal is not to be noisy and disturb your sleep as we too would be very annoyed at such behavior many of us also have young families and any parent will know how hard it is to get and aroused baby back to sleep. you may also be aware of the hoon laws recently implemented by the qld government as a result now more than every we as true enthusiasts are aiming to keep our cars below the radar. as I'm sure you may be aware some of us have alot of money "invested" (yes i know it's not truly invested as cars generally depreciate in value unless your one of the lucky ones with an illusive genuine EVO) in our cars and we as surly you yourself don't want any property be it ours or yours confiscated and possibly destroyed.

finally let me apologize for some of the response in this thread it is not often that we get someone from outside of our small community post on these boards with a message such as yours and some may feel the need to defend themselves and the community as i'm sure you can relate by your own mentioning of methods you would use to defend your safety

yes it's me KHUBNER

jack be nimble

jack be nimble

master of none

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,299 posts
  • Locationperth sor. 20 mins from brians place

I have posted this message in 3 other forums, I hope this will be sufficient to get the required attention.
I'll keep an eye out for replies. Again, thanks for reading and if you would be able to spread the message it would be very much appreciated.

Some myth debunking for the exhaust modifiers :
http://www.gomog.com...ckpressure.html

Twin 2.5 has similar flow to single 3". 500 crank hp is 375kw or 260awkw ish. Id say single 3" is fine for that.

Not a bad article either.
Hope you get your issues sorted.

Do you think that buying property near a bendy mountain road and having to listen to the rat bags is similar to buying near the airport and grizzling about the airplanes?
4g93t jumbuck conversion. PRANGED 18/3/12, CHECK MY MEMBER RIDES Page 11. no serious human injuries.
ON THE ENGINE STAND. g4cs 2.4l + Gt35r. PLUS: auto conversion + Awd coming.
thanks for parts and help: BMGTZ, EVOCPE, cwolf, Benozi, Jamo-GSR, 1JUM2NV, RXVII..much appreciated, cheers guys.
Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. —Enzo Ferrari
REMEMBER: you cant polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter.

BMGTZ

BMGTZ

Grumpy old man from the school of hard knocks

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,554 posts
  • Locationsouthside of perth WA

hill billy.....Im sure if you carry out your veiled threat you will end up in more trouble than the idiots you intend to stop.

try getting video and posting on you tube.....TV will pick that up quickly and make story out of it and force the cops to do something.

that is one way...or get a bull dozer, a spade and 12 hungry pigs

BRIAN
Black evo 1 full road rego and done properly/legally

I have heaps of parts...but never the one I need.

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts

Paging Tracey Grimshaw!

Rockabilly

Rockabilly

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 874 posts
  • LocationSydney
khubner1 this fool takes on the job to be the spokesperson of it's hillbilly local street gang. It comes
on here saying that it's gang will load up their chainsaws in their big rusty 3 tonne Ford 4x4s & will
corner the noisy dangerous car that uses it's street. Police should read this & gather up it's local gang.
I do agree that it's wife was lucky not to be injured by some foolish driver, but this thread will see it
locked up in jail. You hillbilly from Mt Nebo should put your brain into gear before your arse speaks.
Cheers

NoisyIsNotFaster

NoisyIsNotFaster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Do you think that buying property near a bendy mountain road and having to listen to the rat bags is similar to buying near the airport and grizzling about the airplanes?

I can't agree with the above question, because you are comparing apples and oranges. Choosing to live next to an airport one can expect that there will be a degree of airplane noise. On the other hand, most Australian properties are located next to a road or street of some kind, and there are no issues with normal cars driving past at legal speeds and legal sound levels. The issue is with cars driving past in the middle of the night using excessively loud exhaust systems. Just like an airport is made for airplanes, a racetrack is made for racecars and cars with excessively loud pipes. It's in my original post here:

"My message is to those people who are racing at night on our touristic routes in the Brisbane area."

"Don't saw off mufflers and don't cut out muffler parts, and don't use excessively loud pipes"

"If you want to drive silly, spend a day at the race track for a race day"

"If you know someone who owns a loud car, tell them to put back some sense on their car and muffle them"

"If they want to performance-tune their car, there are plenty of other ways to get performance from your car than to mess with the exhaust".

I believe the above to be a reasonable request.

In order to compare apples with apples, your question would have to read as follows:

"Do you think that buying property near a racetrack having to listen to the rat bags is similar to buying near the airport and grizzling about the airplanes?", to which I can totally agree, one can expect a degree of noise coming from a racetrack, which is why racetracks are often located at minimum distances from residential areas and often have soundproofing in place to prevent excessive noise from the track. I know my above comment might sound obvious, even cheesy and it must come up all the time, which is why in my original post I did not want to bring it up, but your oranges-apples question forced me to correct.

A public touristic mountain road is not a racetrack, which was the point of my post although I did mention I understand the attraction of sometimes putting your foot down on the pedal, especially if you have a bit of power in your rocket, I believe that we are all guilty of that at times. In my opinion, a total ban on "sporty" driving is not a solution ( I also think bikie laws should have been handled differently, but that's beside the point ), but there has to be a degree of common sense and respect to the fellow man. Most sporty drivers are behaving appropriately and know when they are stretching the boundaries. My message as such is not directed towards the people on this forum, or any of the other forums I posted on, or even anyone in specific, but rather is a generic appeal to people on forums, on facebook, on twitter, on google+ and anywhere this message reaches, who might have connections to (or personally know) people that sometimes get caught up in a moment of excitement and might exceed the boundaries of common sense in regards to generating excessive noise at night on touristic mountain roads.

I do think that most people on this forum and in the tuning world in general have a good level of intellect and I am hopeful that what I'm trying to say will reach the intended recipients as described above. I want to thank people for reading this and spreading the message to their friends.

Respect,

A Hill Billy from Mt Nebo

Police should read this & gather up it's local gang. this thread will see it locked up in jail.

You hillbilly from Mt Nebo should put your brain into gear before your arse speaks.

The bill is well aware of issues with racing on public mountain roads. They are reminded of this very often, being called in to the scene of accidents often involving racing, and sometimes fatal accidents of young drivers. It would indeed be a friendly gesture from the bill if they gave an anonymous warning to sporty drivers on public forums before taking action. I believe the bill (who often patrol these hills) would use a pincer move similar to described above to catch racers on Mt Nebo Road. Such a warning would give sporty drivers some time to put back common sense in their cars and make them road legal (quiet) before actual police action would be taken and prevent crushing of valuable personal assets and the possible disqualification from driving. I swear that I'm just a hill billy and not at all affiliated with the police, so please do not read any "veiled" messages or threats in this message or any of my messages.

Edited by NoisyIsNotFaster, 13 January 2014 - 11:18 PM.

Geo&Kez

Geo&Kez

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts
  • LocationPerth

With all due respect Mr Hillbilly, you may as well stand in a stiff wind and take a piss for all the good it would do you. Your ability to string a few well constructed sentences together doesn't do your Hillbilly persona any favors just quietly. I fear your target audience mostly doesn't share your enthusiasm of the written word and would have skipped over your post as it didn't contain pictures of a 4.5" exhaust cannon, or any pictures at all for that matter.

Your pain is shared throughout Australia, the simple fact of living near any major hub brings everyone this type of pain eventually. A quick drive around the suburbs of Perth can lead you to believe that a giant Mr Squiggle has been on a meth bender, or the need for young (and old) dickwads to lay strips everywhere is a very common practice.

Given the cops over there are now tasked with the harassment of any poor bastard that rides a bike and wears a leather vest, if you want to stop it, its you that will need to do the work. And the only way to do it without getting yourself in the shit is to do it covertly. All you need is a few good video recorders that work well at night, with a few large memory cards to go with them. You and your mates make some scrim suits, arm yourselves with a few beers and a packet of chips and go find yourselves a few good hides along the road where most of the shit goes down. The inside of corners and on the high ground would be my safety tips for good hides, just making sure you are close enough to get good shots of plates and faces, but you don't want to be seen, and you don't want to be in the way of an out of control dickwad wagon. Your creativity is your only limit here, a well placed pram with a lifelike child in shot as dickwad drifts around the corner, or a few school zone signs in the shot, will just about have Ms Grimshaw dripping on her chair.

Send your intel to the above mentioned Tracey Grimshaw or your most loved 'trash media' outlet, and a copy to your local cop shop stating the Tracey has also been sent a copy. See if anything happens.

I HATE BEING BIPOLAR........IT'S AWESOME!!

Benzo4gT

Benzo4gT

Operator

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,318 posts
  • LocationThe home of unemployed bogans - Hervey bay,

Sigh..........my signature has never been more appropriate.

Edited by Benzo4gT, 14 January 2014 - 05:30 AM.

Bit of a tool, and owner of "The Turdis" - Hervey Bay

jack be nimble

jack be nimble

master of none

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,299 posts
  • Locationperth sor. 20 mins from brians place
The hills have eyes.
Yep, your analogy is probably closer than mine.

How are the sportsbikes and potatoes (harleys)? I suppose they are daylight only so not so objectionable.
4g93t jumbuck conversion. PRANGED 18/3/12, CHECK MY MEMBER RIDES Page 11. no serious human injuries.
ON THE ENGINE STAND. g4cs 2.4l + Gt35r. PLUS: auto conversion + Awd coming.
thanks for parts and help: BMGTZ, EVOCPE, cwolf, Benozi, Jamo-GSR, 1JUM2NV, RXVII..much appreciated, cheers guys.
Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. —Enzo Ferrari
REMEMBER: you cant polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter.

OLDIE

OLDIE

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 694 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Mt Nebo Hill Billy Get your facts right !! Permanent  Race tracks ,not street circuits ARE NOT built close to houses they were built out in the sticks and then houses were built around them and then the people started bitching about noise.

Lakeside and Echo Valley spring to mind.

Edited by OLDIE, 14 January 2014 - 09:03 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users