Welcome to 4GTuner
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Ctek Battery Chargers

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

ENGINR

ENGINR

Wannabe Racer

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,061 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Am looking to buy a battery charger and a few people both on and off this forum have mentioned Ctek chargers.

Found this website, but not sure what model to go for/price to pay.

http://www.ctekbatte...CFUxJpgodwkUASA

What are people using/recommend?

"I got an idea, an idea so smart my head would explode if I even began to know what I was talking about." - Peter Griffin

bazeng

bazeng

Gday maaaate

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,899 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
http://www.ctekbatte...tek-mxs-38.html

Evo-00x

Evo-00x

4G63T AWD CC COUPE

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,151 posts
  • LocationNewcastle

You would want an MXS 7.0 minimum to recondition a discharged battery. I saw the Optima Rep on a Youtube video use the Ctek 7.0 so that's what I bought. It does everything I need it to do. Its fully automatic, reconditions, and even acts as a power supply. It charges fairly quickly too. A 10 Amp would be the best all round charger but it was a bit more expensive than the 7.0 at the time at over $200.

You can pick up a MXS 10 these days for the price that I paid for my 7 back in May 2013.

They are on sale on Ebay right now for a limited time only at $149 delivered!!! That's a frikken bargain! Aussie seller too.  http://www.ebay.com....=item258136618a

I used to have a low amp trickle charger before (think it was 1A or something) and it was good for keeping the battery topped up when the battery was in good condition. But sooner or later you'll find yourself having to charge up a discharged battery. Whether it be your AGM, GEL or your everyday wet type battery, you will end up needing a decent Amp battery charger with a bit more grunt to kickstart your battery back to life. This is why its good to have a charger that can do all types of different batteries and provide good amperage. A small amp trickle charger is good for its sole intended purpose as maintaining the battery's charge, but unfortunately they wont rescue an Optima battery that's been discharged under a certain amount of volts. If you try to charge a discharged battery it can take days on a low amp charger (if it can rescue it) and that's no fun if you need your car on the road quick. That's when you need the recondition mode on a Ctek charger with minimum 7 Amps. If I were to buy another Ctek tomorrow, I'd get myself a 10A which I think is the maximum rated charger that Optima recommend for their batteries. It will charge a battery within a few hours, or if you want you can leave it overnight and be guaranteed the battery is fully charged ready for hitting the track the next morning.

Edited by EVO-00X, 28 November 2013 - 11:02 AM.

AWD. 2 Litre. GTX3076R 0.82.
330kw atw @ 28psi 98 pump fuel.

372kw atw @ 28psi E85 Flexfuel.
EVOLVED AWD COUPE
WWW.EVOCOUPE.NET

4th

4th

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

recommend optimate over ctek, watch the video it demonstrates why

fully automatic the lights are a bit confusing but plug it in and wait for green light top right = finished

http://www.moto-tech...ger-maintainer/

optimate 6 ftw, the weatherpoof quick charge/disconnect lead is awesome especially if you have a motorbike

Evo-00x

Evo-00x

4G63T AWD CC COUPE

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,151 posts
  • LocationNewcastle

That's a video from 2008. Ctek have come out with newer tech and models since then  :P

The one in the video is only a basic 2-step charger. The later models have an 8-step charging process which works much better. 

AWD. 2 Litre. GTX3076R 0.82.
330kw atw @ 28psi 98 pump fuel.

372kw atw @ 28psi E85 Flexfuel.
EVOLVED AWD COUPE
WWW.EVOCOUPE.NET

SCS

SCS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationPerth
I've recently bought the Ctek mxs5 and am happy with that for what I paid. From memory it was around $85. I'm impressed with the quality of the clips etc. I also got a silicon 'bumper' which is basically a few silicon strips that protect the unit. I thought it was a bit silly but it is actually quite useful. I rest the unit under my car on the floor and the is silicon bumper protects the body from scratches etc.

EV0300

EV0300

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts
  • LocationVictoria, Geelong
Bit of a revival anyone still using the ctek chargers looking at getting one just want to make sure they are still going strong before i commit to a purchase

bazeng

bazeng

Gday maaaate

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,899 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
Yeah mate. They are good.. I have 3. Looking to sell one if interested...

EV0300

EV0300

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts
  • LocationVictoria, Geelong
Inbox me the details mate

bazeng

bazeng

Gday maaaate

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,899 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
L
My messages are full.. What's your email?

SCS

SCS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationPerth
I had.a problem with my CTEK charger a few months ago and had it replaced without any problems by the firm I bought it from. It was AutoElec who have a site on Ebay. No fuss. Would not hesitate to buy from them again. Just a tip hold on your receipt as they have a 5 yr warranty, but without the receipt you can't make a claim.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users