Welcome to 4GTuner
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

RVR HSG ECU woes

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

Connor

Connor

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • LocationQLD, Aspley
Hey guys, a few questions for you.

I have a EVO VI ECU sitting in front of me and I was wondering would I be better off trying to get it to work or going the ECMlink route?

If I put the evo VI ECU in would it be as simple as find a RVR HSG base map setting and going from there or would it require me taking it to someone who knows their way around ecu flash/evoscan to get it running?

The head is almost ready to be rebuilt, I have some 272 kelfords, beehive springs and Ti retainers on their way and I am thinking of adding the kinguawa TD05 20G a little bit later on down the track. I also currently have a Innovate mtx-l and GFB GeForce II hooked.

Any answers or advice would be greatly appreciated.

PS. If someone could point to a RVR HSG base map that would be awesome.

Edited by Connor, 08 October 2013 - 11:00 AM.

jack be nimble

jack be nimble

master of none

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,299 posts
  • Locationperth sor. 20 mins from brians place
I dont see why you cant use the evo map. It will be close enough to get you going.
Get 560cc injectors, a evo 6 afm and not sure if you will need a evo knock sensor or if yours will be ok.
4g93t jumbuck conversion. PRANGED 18/3/12, CHECK MY MEMBER RIDES Page 11. no serious human injuries.
ON THE ENGINE STAND. g4cs 2.4l + Gt35r. PLUS: auto conversion + Awd coming.
thanks for parts and help: BMGTZ, EVOCPE, cwolf, Benozi, Jamo-GSR, 1JUM2NV, RXVII..much appreciated, cheers guys.
Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. —Enzo Ferrari
REMEMBER: you cant polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter.

Django

Django

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationAustralia
I'd make sure you get VR401's wise words on this topic before continuing on with anything.

jack be nimble

jack be nimble

master of none

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,299 posts

I'd make sure you get VR401's wise words on this topic before continuing on with anything.

+1. Im not up with evo6 ecu. Im fairly well read but not hands on yet. I know the 7, 8, 9 ecu are similar not sure about the 6. Im going for the evo8 ecu, the merlin tuning guide has 90% of the information in one place, but groups the 7, 8, 9 together.
4g93t jumbuck conversion. PRANGED 18/3/12, CHECK MY MEMBER RIDES Page 11. no serious human injuries.
thanks for parts and help: BMGTZ, EVOCPE, cwolf, Benozi, Jamo-GSR, 1JUM2NV, RXVII..much appreciated, cheers guys.

Connor

Connor

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • LocationQLD, Aspley

Ok thanks Jack for the info, I think I will wait for VR401's input if he feels so inclined add anything.

I think i read somewhere that the EVO 6 ecu can't run 1000cc+ injectors but I can't remember what other differences were stated.

Edited by Connor, 09 December 2013 - 03:37 AM.

jack be nimble

jack be nimble

master of none

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,299 posts
The 7+ say that too, but I think its not the injectors. Its the rescaled maf runs out of capacity there. But thats 500awhp or so. And you can go sd after that, 1000cc injectors should be enough for a rvr....

There is a ecu for sale in for sale section too

vr401

vr401

4G63T

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 929 posts
  • LocationSydney
There is nothing wrong with evo6 ECU mate. Search the net for Ceddy Mod for evo 6 and you'll see how much you can do with it.
As for injectors, are you going to run E85? If not, using 1000cc injectors you'll be making some serious power there mate.
Only thing i don't know is if evo 6 ecu is 4 or 3 plug ecu. We used 4 plug evo7 ecu because rvr harness plugs straight into ecu so you can just swap wires to make it work.
Use evo3 wiring diagram for rvr and you can modify wiring to suit evo6 ecu. There is only two wires swapped on rvr compared to evo3 but i'll let you know if you decide to modify. (I have to dig in my garage through all paperwork I have to find it :) )
BTW: I'm from Liverpool so if you need any help come down for coffee and we'll sort it out. I'll even show you this RVR we swapped ecu with evo7 so you can test drive it. It made 180awkw on Rigoli's dyno.

Cheers,
Miodrag
Lancer Evolution 7 GSR '01

jack be nimble

jack be nimble

master of none

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,299 posts
I wanna live in liverpool and come for a cuppa tea too..:-(

Connor

Connor

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • LocationQLD, Aspley

The 7+ say that too, but I think its not the injectors. Its the rescaled maf runs out of capacity there. But thats 500awhp or so. And you can go sd after that, 1000cc injectors should be enough for a rvr....

There is a ecu for sale in for sale section too

Ok, I won't be needing anything more than 1000cc injectors anyway. I am aiming for around 270-300awhp.

vr401

vr401

4G63T

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 929 posts
  • LocationSydney

I wanna live in liverpool and come for a cuppa tea too..:-(

You're more than welcome mate. :)

Connor

Connor

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • LocationQLD, Aspley

There is nothing wrong with evo6 ECU mate. Search the net for Ceddy Mod for evo 6 and you'll see how much you can do with it.
As for injectors, are you going to run E85? If not, using 1000cc injectors you'll be making some serious power there mate.
Only thing i don't know is if evo 6 ecu is 4 or 3 plug ecu. We used 4 plug evo7 ecu because rvr harness plugs straight into ecu so you can just swap wires to make it work.
Use evo3 wiring diagram for rvr and you can modify wiring to suit evo6 ecu. There is only two wires swapped on rvr compared to evo3 but i'll let you know if you decide to modify. (I have to dig in my garage through all paperwork I have to find it :) )
BTW: I'm from Liverpool so if you need any help come down for coffee and we'll sort it out. I'll even show you this RVR we swapped ecu with evo7 so you can test drive it. It made 180awkw on Rigoli's dyno.

Cheers,
Miodrag

Hey mate,

No I won't be running E85 well not for awhile yet, the evo 6 ecu I have has the 4 plugs exactly the same as the RVR. I have an evo 1-3 pinout here, I haven't started comparing the evo 3 diagram with evo 6 yet but I might do it tonight, like you said I think there is only a couple of wires that need to be swapped.

Did you try and start your RVR on the EVO7 base map?

I will have to come down and have a cuppa and we can compare RVRs :).

Thanks heaps Mio.

Edited by Connor, 10 October 2013 - 07:22 AM.

vr401

vr401

4G63T

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 929 posts
  • LocationSydney

Hey mate,

No I won't be running E85 well not for awhile yet, the evo 6 ecu I have has the 4 plugs exactly the same as the RVR. I have an evo 1-3 pinout here, I haven't started comparing the evo 3 diagram with evo 6 yet but I might do it tonight, like you said I think there is only a couple of wires that need to be swapped.

Did you try and start your RVR on the EVO7 base map?

I will have to come down and have a cuppa and we can compare RVRs :).

Thanks heaps Mio.

Runs fine with evo 7 maps. Just have some 98 ron fuel mate. After that we started tuning and using different maps as base maps.
Also, there is couple things to disable in evo 7 rom to fine run the car without any cel light (fault codes) present. Again, when you decide to do it i'll find out for you what exactly. :)

As for rvr knock sensor, it works fine with evo7 ecu ;)

vr401

vr401

4G63T

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 929 posts
  • LocationSydney
BTW: check my post for evo7 ecu conversion if you didn't see it yet. You see how we made custom harness so we can swap between ecu's if we need to. Also, there is video on how the car is running right after evo7 ecu was plugged in with stock maps.

http://www.4gtuner.c...363#entry266363

Edited by vr401, 10 October 2013 - 07:36 AM.

vr401

vr401

4G63T

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 929 posts
  • LocationSydney
I forgot to say,
if you're running stock rvr injectors you need to rescale them in your new ecu or use 560cc injectors. Rvr manual are 510cc and auto 450cc
With 510cc Car wll start fine but it will be running lean so it shouldn't be pushed into any boost.

Connor

Connor

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • LocationQLD, Aspley
Yeah I seen your thread, but I couldn't remember where or what forum I had seen it on.

I have some rx7 550cc injectors from another project will they suffice?I really like the idea of the easy swap harness, I take it you gutted another ecu to do that?

Thanks for all the help mate

vr401

vr401

4G63T

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 929 posts
  • LocationSydney

I have some rx7 550cc injectors from another project will they suffice?I really like the idea of the easy swap harness, I take it you gutted another ecu to do that?

Thanks for all the help mate

Just check what impedance they are and you'll need to tune them in (injector scale and latencies to suit)
As for harness, yes, there is many wreckers with ecu in car to suit.

I'm glad i can help

Cheers,

jack be nimble

jack be nimble

master of none

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,299 posts

Ok, I won't be needing anything more than 1000cc injectors anyway. I am aiming for around 270-300awhp.

I think they are at 1063hp ish on a evo 7 or 8 ecu. Just saw it earlier on one of the us sites

jack be nimble

jack be nimble

master of none

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,299 posts
What is the go with knock sensors mio?
Is it only vr4 that are incompatible with evo 7-9 ecu (I suppose evo 4-6 as well)
Or is it our evo 1-3 that are no good also?
I dont know because our 1-3 are still obd1 whereas in usa they were obd2 for 2g engines. So I dont know if we kept a vr4 style knock sensor in the evo 1-3 or when the change point was.

vr401

vr401

4G63T

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 929 posts
  • LocationSydney
We kept stock RVR knock sensor and it works well. Same for early evo's conversion, they kept stock sensors too.

jack be nimble

jack be nimble

master of none

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,299 posts

We kept stock RVR knock sensor and it works well. Same for early evo's conversion, they kept stock sensors too.

Cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users