Welcome to 4GTuner
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

5 STUD CONVERSION - HOW TO - WITH LOTS OF PICS

* * * * * 2 votes

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts
  • LocationBuddhist Temple NSW
There are so many threads on this topic all with a lack of definite info and no pics...so i thought i would post up how I went about it with heaps of pics, so anyone looking to do this can use this guide and be successful.
This is how I achieved the 5 stud conversion on my Evo 1, so GSR owners will be the same, but Evo 2 / 3 owners need to be aware that the front sway bar setup is different so will require drop links.

FRONTS :

I acquired a set of EVO 4 front knuckles and control arms, the knuckles have the Brembo bolt spacing which was half my reason for this conversion. Now...due to not wanting to stuff around changing sway bars etc etc I kept my Evo 1 lower control arms and removed the Evo 4 knuckle from the Evo 4 lower control arm. However...to fit the Evo 4 knuckles to the Evo 1 lower control arm the lower ball joint must be changed from the Evo 1 ball joint to the later model ball joint as it is slightly different.

You can see in the pictures below the difference in the 2 arms..Note the Evo 1 lower control arms (black ones) have the tab for the sway bar link while the Evo 4 lower control arms (silver arms) do not.... you can also see the difference in the lower ball joint setup between the E1 & E4 arms

Posted Image
Posted Image

So I purchased Evo 4-9 ball joints and pressed then welded those into the Evo 1 lower control arms
Posted Image

So once the ball joints were in place in the Evo 1 lower control arms, the Evo 4 knuckles bolt straight on.... and look like this
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

With the unpainted Brembos dummy fitted
Posted Image
Posted Image
The Brembos will require a 320mm disc to complete the setup...which I am awaiting delivery of and will post pics once they arrive.

Edited by evo-gsr, 07 October 2013 - 10:06 AM.

[qoute name="BMGTZ" post="331212" timestamp="1467451744"]I don't know anything ...
Trust in the master of taxis.... He will set you straight[/quote]

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts
One other thing to note...I replaced the tie rod ends while I was at it...But they need to be inverted so that they come in from the top rather than from the bottom now that I am using the Evo 4 knucklesPosted ImagePosted ImageI also replaced the sway bar bushes with some Whiteline items which look a lot better than the tired old rubbers that were in therePosted Image
I then paint stripped the Brembos right back to bare metal..

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by evo-gsr, 07 October 2013 - 09:14 AM.

[qoute name="BMGTZ" post="331212" timestamp="1467451744"]I don't know anything ...

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts
I used KBS products to prime and paint the brakes.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by evo-gsr, 07 October 2013 - 07:34 AM.

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts
Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by evo-gsr, 07 October 2013 - 07:41 AM.

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts
The finished product with new heatproof stickers.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by evo-gsr, 07 October 2013 - 07:43 AM.

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts

20131102_145603_zps4e4c0a04.jpg320mm dimpled and slotted discs

20131011_202434_zps4c6a2cce.jpg

20131102_145524_zps38536d7f.jpg

Screenshot_2013-10-07-21-09-41_zpsa9161d

I will be using these ↑ QFM HPX pads in the Brembos which are apparently excellent pads and virtually dust free!

Edited by evo-gsr, 02 November 2013 - 09:54 PM.

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts
REARS---

The rears are a little bit more stuffing around.

I got some Evo 7 rears which were complete...hubs..handbrake shoes..knuckles etc..but as I was not converting the rear to Brembos I only needed the hubs. The Evo 7 rears are the item in the middle of the pic

Posted Image

So the hubs basically unbolt from the rear of the brake setup leaving you with this

Posted Image

The only issue is with the Evo 7 rears they have the ABS pickup on the driveshaft...so if you are keeping the ABS you need to address that.
I originally planned to use the original Evo 1 ABS rings and set about filling the 4 holes in preparation to re-drill the 5 holes that the studs recess into

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

They ended up looking like this

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by evo-gsr, 07 October 2013 - 08:20 AM.

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts
Re drilling the 5 holes for the head of the studs, in the Evo 1 ABS rings, became a bit of a mission so that was aborted and I later found out that the fto rear hubs had the same ABS setup and they have the ABS ring which I needed. I found a set of hubs and ABS rings for $50 which I snapped up.

Posted Image

The only problem with the Evo 7 hubs is that because they dont normally run the ABS ring pictured above is that they have no holes for the retaining bolts like the Evo 1 hub pictured below.

Posted Image

So I had to drill and tap new holes in the Evo 7 hubs to be able to bolt the ABS ring to the back of the hub

Posted Image

Edited by evo-gsr, 07 October 2013 - 08:34 AM.

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts
So once the ABS ring problem is sorted...you will need to do the following.

Press the old 4 stud hub and bearing out of the rear trailing arm so that the trailing arm is bare ( see pics below)

Press the Evo 7 hub, out of the back of the bearing carrier and remove the bearing shell from the Evo 7 hub.

You then need to purchase a replacement bearing ( I used KOYO ) to suit Evo 1,2 or 3/ GSR which is then pressed into the Evo rear trailing arm

Posted Image

Posted Image

Once the bearing is pressed into the trailing arm you then press the Evo 7 hub ( which has the FTO ABS ring attatched to the back) into the bearing in the trailing arm.

Edited by evo-gsr, 07 October 2013 - 08:50 AM.

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts
Once all thats done you can bolt the rear trailing arm back onto the car which should look like this

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by evo-gsr, 07 October 2013 - 09:29 AM.

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts
Im using the Evo 5, Oz Racing F1, 17x 7+ 38, Enkies on my Evo which I had painted at work in the R35 GTR colour called Titanium.
Im running 215 / 40 / 17 tyres.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by evo-gsr, 07 October 2013 - 09:35 AM.

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts
To save stuffing around redrilling the rear discs...I discovered that the FTO rear discs are exactly the same in all dimensions as the original Evo 1 rear discs with the obvious exception that they have 5 holes instead of 4.

I am awaiting arrival of these too.

Edited by evo-gsr, 07 October 2013 - 09:38 AM.

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts

Fto slotted and dimpled discs and with the Evo 5 wheel bolted on.

20131011_201131_zps1a4e59b3.jpg

20131011_173910_zps35c773df.jpg

20131011_173927_zps9dda60e9.jpg

Edited by evo-gsr, 11 October 2013 - 12:07 PM.

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts
Reserved

Evo-00x

Evo-00x

4G63T AWD CC COUPE

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,151 posts
  • LocationNewcastle
Posted Image
Great idea Jamo!!
This is gonna be good.
AWD. 2 Litre. GTX3076R 0.82.
330kw atw @ 28psi 98 pump fuel.

372kw atw @ 28psi E85 Flexfuel.
EVOLVED AWD COUPE
WWW.EVOCOUPE.NET

EVL20T

EVL20T

AWD 4G63T POWAH!

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,197 posts
  • LocationNewcastle
Awesome. What do u need to do with the rears if you dont have abs?
------------ 4GTUNER STICKERS - CLICK HERE ------------

EVL20T3_zps8f8e63a1.png
------------------------- 4G63T AWD COUPE -------------------------
----------------------- WWW.EVOCOUPE.NET -----------------------

leadfoot

leadfoot

• Moderators
  • 3,429 posts
  • LocationGold Coast
i'm assuming nothing since the abs ring would be surplus to requirements.

so the brembo rear brake assembly just bolt onto the early evo trailing arm? and it's just the bearing carrier assembly thats different. early evo being apart of trailing arm and evo 7 being separte?

yes it's me KHUBNER

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts
Mikey...if you dont have ABS then you just ignore that part and use the late model hubs as they are.

Kyle..No the rear Brembos do not "just bolt onto the early evo trailing arms" Racefab sell adaptors if you want to run Brembos on the back but then you need to sort out a handbrake setup as the late models have a brake shoe setup in the middle of the disc..you can see it in one of the pics I have posted. Thats why I kept the early model rear brake setup.
And yes the bearing setup on the rear is different between the early and late model which is also in the pics I have posted.

leadfoot

leadfoot

• Moderators
  • 3,429 posts
  • LocationGold Coast
yeah i was hoping there was a way to run the internal drum handbrake on the earlier cars. by replaceing the backing plate/diskbrak adapter on the earlier cars the manual shows they are removable

yes it's me KHUBNER

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts
From memory ( a mate has done this on his early Evo) you need to use different rear trailing arms. Possibly FTO? Im not sure on that but..someone else might correct me or confirm
If you look at the pics I've posted of the Evo 7 rear setup and the bare trailing arm you can see that it doesnt look like its a possibility to adapt the handbrake setup to the early arms without some sort of magic.

Edited by khubner1, 07 October 2013 - 11:49 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users