Welcome to 4GTuner
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

RVR Super sports gear vs Hyper sports gear

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Jenga

Jenga

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationNewcastle, NSW
Hey everyone,

I'm new to the world of RVR's, having just decided to buy one as a project (bought it for $1500, with a somewhat unhappy 4G63T, it'll be a great project I think). The thought of a turbocharged mini-minivan is quite alluring :)

Now what I've bought is (apparently) a Super sports gear, made in Dec 1995. Half green and half silver with an auto gearbox and a front bar from a HSG fitted. The odometer says it has about 110k km on it.

What I'm wondering is: What's the difference between the Super sports gear and the Hyper sports gear? Particularly engine wise?

The only obvious differences that I know about are the HSG came with a better interior with Recaros. As far as I know with the engine, the HSG basically had an Evo III motor while the SSG came with something more akin to a VR4 motor. I can't seem to find any info regarding the exact differences.

Since the motor isn't exactly happy (has a bit of a tick/knock noise about 3000rpm when it's warm), am I better off trying to rebuild this engine, or just find an Evo half cut and swap the gear over? I'd like to extract as much power out of the engine as possible but I'm not exactly sure what the current engine would be capable of if it were rebuilt.

Edited by Jenga, 24 October 2012 - 08:38 AM.

p055um5

p055um5

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • LocationHunter Valley
RVR hsg/ssg difference

Attached Thumbnails

• spec-differences.jpg

97 RVR HSG, ACL RACE SERIES FORGED PISTONS, EAGLE 3D H-BEAM FORGED RODS, ACL RACE SERIES BIG END / ROD BEARINGS, ACL RACE SERIES MAIN BEARINGS, ARP MIAN STUDS, Walbro GSS342 Fuel Pump, Siemens 870cc/min Injector, HALTECH E8 ECU

Jenga

Jenga

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationNewcastle, NSW
Cheers! That doesn't list the SSG auto, but I can't imagine there will be any engine difference between the two. The car code is E-N23WG SRXF, which definitely comes up as a SSG.

By the looks of it, the RVR engine is a real bitsa... Some parts line up with an Evo, yet others are different. Interesting.

CLuTZ

CLuTZ

Diamonds are forever....

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,120 posts
  • LocationMelbourne VIC
TD04 instead of a TD05 turbo. Top mount I/C instead of a front mount. Cams would have to be different to suit the smaller turbo.

apart from that, they (engine wise) are pretty much the same.

Have you figured out what is causing the knock yet?

Jenga

Jenga

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationNewcastle, NSW
Thanks Clutz. Nah I haven't figured out the knocking noise, haven't had any time to work on the car yet.

This video is nearly exactly the noise it's making:

When idling it sounds fine, but give it a rev and it'll make a nasty sounding knocking noise.

Another quick question, does anyone have the paint codes for RVR's? Particularly for the green paint? I'll also be on the look out for a manual gearbox soon...

Rockabilly

Rockabilly

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 874 posts
  • LocationSydney
I'll take the Auto box & transfer case & tcu with the wiring. Let me know when & a price via PM later.
Cheers !

Super Top

Super Top

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • LocationOosterbeek, The Netherlands
There is a Hyper Sports Gear R and a Hyper Sports Gear Z.
The Z version is less powerful than the R version. But looks the same as the R.
Same front bar, skirts and spoilers.

The colour you describe matches one of the 3 colours the HSG R and Z came in.

Shoot me if i'm wrong.

What CLuTZ says is also what I know.

Driving a: Sophia White '97 Mitsubishi RVR N23WG 2.0T Hyper Sports Gear R

Driving a:  Grace Silver  '88 Mitsubishi Colt C52A 1.5 8V GLXi Super Top Automatic

In Project: Sophia White '89 Mitsubishi Lancer C77A 1.8 8V GLXi 4WD

Retired:     Twilight Blue '91 Mitsubishi Colt C52A 1.5 12V GLXi Super Top

Super Top

Super Top

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • LocationOosterbeek, The Netherlands
Now I've heard the noise.

Momentarily I have the same with my C77A Lancer 4WD 4G37. Lost speed on the highway. Put it on the hard shoulder. Same noise as you have.
When I changed the ignition timing the noise reduced and I calmly drove home.

At home I checked my cambelt timing and compression.
The cambelt timing was ok. But I had only 6 bar compression on cilinder 1 and 2 and 11 and 13 bar on cilinder 3 and 4.

So check your compression is what I can say at this moment.
I didn't have time yet to take a look at it further on my Lancer.

I'm thinking to swap the 4G37 for a 4G67 in my Lancer. Due to endless troubles with the 4G37 engine.

My RVR HSG R is in storage for the time being.

Edited by Super Top, 06 November 2012 - 10:11 PM.

Driving a: Sophia White '97 Mitsubishi RVR N23WG 2.0T Hyper Sports Gear R

Driving a:  Grace Silver  '88 Mitsubishi Colt C52A 1.5 8V GLXi Super Top Automatic

In Project: Sophia White '89 Mitsubishi Lancer C77A 1.8 8V GLXi 4WD

Retired:     Twilight Blue '91 Mitsubishi Colt C52A 1.5 12V GLXi Super Top

CLuTZ

CLuTZ

Diamonds are forever....

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,120 posts
  • LocationMelbourne VIC
HSG-Z is a non turbo (N/A) version of the HSG-R.

There's a couple of green colours too- post up a pic!

Sounds like your engine is fucked by the way.

CLuTZ

CLuTZ

Diamonds are forever....

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,120 posts
  • LocationMelbourne VIC
Here's a chart of the cam specs

Posted Image

Jenga

Jenga

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationNewcastle, NSW
Rockabilly: If I get rid of the auto box, I'll let you know first. I have no idea how long it'll take to get my hands on a Evo 3 manual box, transfer case, gear selector, linkages and a pedal set... If worse comes to worse, I'll just keep it as auto for the time being. A lot will depend on how much it'll costing to repair the engine and fix up the rest of the car.

I havent done a compression test yet, but it's on the list. I also got told to try pulling out each of the spark plug leads to see if the noise goes away. That way I can isolate which cylinder is the issue. But either way, it'll all be getting pulled apart and have a new set of pistons, rods and bearings put in. Hence why it's a project :P

RVR-ED

RVR-ED

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationMaitland,NSW

Here's a chart of the cam specscamspecs.jpg

I know this is quite an old thread but does anyone have this chart? It be great if I could get a copy of it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users