Welcome to 4GTuner
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

adelia coupling disassembled

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

BMGTZ

BMGTZ

Grumpy old man from the school of hard knocks

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,554 posts
  • Locationsouthside of perth WA
pictures of the guts of an adelia coupling

18.jpg 17.jpg 16.jpg 15.jpg 14.jpg 13.jpg 12.jpg 11.jpg 10.jpg 9.jpg 8.jpg 7.jpg 6.jpg 5.jpg 4.jpg 3.jpg 2.jpg 1.jpg

Edited by BMGTZ, 16 September 2011 - 01:44 PM.

BRIAN
Black evo 1 full road rego and done properly/legally

I have heaps of parts...but never the one I need.

jack be nimble

jack be nimble

master of none

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,299 posts
  • Locationperth sor. 20 mins from brians place
dunno what all those bits do or how they work, but it looks to be in good nick
4g93t jumbuck conversion. PRANGED 18/3/12, CHECK MY MEMBER RIDES Page 11. no serious human injuries.
ON THE ENGINE STAND. g4cs 2.4l + Gt35r. PLUS: auto conversion + Awd coming.
thanks for parts and help: BMGTZ, EVOCPE, cwolf, Benozi, Jamo-GSR, 1JUM2NV, RXVII..much appreciated, cheers guys.
Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. —Enzo Ferrari
REMEMBER: you cant polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter.

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts
  • LocationBuddhist Temple NSW
Jack-its a tricked up viscous coupling, which links the back wheels to the front wheels so that when one set starts to spin, torque will be transferred to the other set...
It goes on the inside of the end cover on a AWD gearbox on the end of output shaft.
:D

Edited by jamo-gsr, 16 September 2011 - 02:03 PM.

[qoute name="BMGTZ" post="331212" timestamp="1467451744"]I don't know anything ...
Trust in the master of taxis.... He will set you straight[/quote]

Lister

Lister

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • LocationHobart
Essentially a mechanical version of a viscous coupling. That can be setup to give certain clamping charateristics.

bazeng

bazeng

Gday maaaate

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,899 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
Awesome! Send me your payment details Brian.

BMGTZ

BMGTZ

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,554 posts

Awesome! Send me your payment details Brian.

this one cost me hard! in the finish buying this through import monster almost doubled the purchase price. price at auction close was 850.00.....about 500 of which was the adelia

then they charged me extra for this and that.....till it came up to 926.00 even bloody gst...... never again :angry:

I checked with jesse streeter....about 700. ......big difference.

so anyway back to payment details.

cost of unit. your firts born to be named after me., your missus/girlfriend to wash my cars{6} every weekend for a year ...wearing a bikini that will be supplied....., a kidney that I can sell on in America....must be human, and 1000.00 aud

BRIAN

BMGTZ

BMGTZ

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,554 posts

Essentially a mechanical version of a viscous coupling. That can be setup to give certain clamping charateristics.

ah yep...that is why it was apart

BRIAN

evo6rs

evo6rs

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
Hi do you still have one for sale.
I had a car that had a mechanical unit in it, it would lock up under power and free wheel under trailing throttle. It was in a Ralliart prepared evo 1. Sold the car, bought it back 10 years later and it had a ralliart VCD instead. I need one urgently for an autocross car?
can you help?
Cheers
Martin 0418171873

BMGTZ

BMGTZ

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,554 posts
not really for sale Martin....

however......in anticipation of your having read the terms of sale as described to a fellow forum member above....

auditions of car washing girls are soon to start....

BRIAN

evopwr

evopwr

[DIY]

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,283 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
Sweet, thanks for posting pics up Brian.

So is there still a manufacturer who makes these??
---

4G63t, AWD, Widebody

Posted Image

---

BMGTZ

BMGTZ

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,554 posts
if you buy five of them they "might" make them was the reply I got from Japan.

roughly 2k each

BRIAN

evopwr

evopwr

[DIY]

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,283 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
FFFFFFF.

They should free-issue the design drawings.... just saying!

Edited by evopwr, 18 November 2011 - 01:10 AM.

---

4G63t, AWD, Widebody

Posted Image

---

shane1310

shane1310

• Donating Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationTasmania
Hmm I have one in my Gravel rally Evo 1 need to set it up properly and allso set up the front LSD better as well :)
Rally Spec it !!

DOUGMO

DOUGMO

yoni lover

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,885 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

if you buy five of them they "might" make them was the reply I got from Japan.

roughly 2k each

I had my jap contact ask adelia about these, i was told 4 month wait and about $1600 or so for one.

so still available for the patient people.

Shane I dont think they work very well on rally cars, I can do you a favour and take yours if you like :P

GENUINE CE9A evo2 gsr track car
all fabrication BJP AUTOMOTIVE
winton 1:27.4 /// sandown 1:21.5 /// phillip island 1:49.2 /// haunted hills 59.1
/// eastern creek 1:35.4 /// winton short 1:01.4

Resurgance

Resurgance

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationNelson New Zealand

Hi Sorry for resurrecting OLD post, but does anyone know if I can run one of these adelia magic couplings on top of a Cusco tarmac 65/35 for use on gravel?  

And how do I set this Adelia Magic coupler up????  

CanadianCD9A

CanadianCD9A

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada

No, you can't. The Adelia locks the axles together on acceleration, it would totally negate the Tarmac. The Tarmac is literally the worst thing on earth for a gravel car, since it's a rear-biased open differential. That means that when one axle has no traction, all the torque goes to that axle and you go NOWHERE (assuming you have no coupler attached). A stock differential with stock viscous coupler would be more effective than the Adelia, since it would allow the Tarmac to do it's thing and overpower the rear tires until the coupling clamps down, plus you wouldn't have to pay anything for it. I understand your line of thinking - you want a rear-biased setup that still powers all 4 wheels, and the front axle can pull you out when the rear tires spin. True rear-biased AWD is only possible on hydraulic setups and modern clutch-actuated setups, or with planetary center LSDs like the Audi Quattro system. The closest you could get would be to use a stock viscous coupling on the Tarmac, which would allow some spin, but you have essentially no control over when it locks, or unlocks, which is problematic. The coupler's condition could also deteriorate and make it useless (if it's not already shot). The second best thing I could recommend is to get an ATS or Cusco plate-style center diff and mess with the preload from front to back. You might be able to give the rears a bit more liberty in terms of lock delay and breakaway torque to allow it to spin up before locking all 4, but it would take a lot of trial-and-error to get it right. The plate-style center diffs can allow you to cheat a bit, since they are 2-way. They have a locking effect on deceleration too, which allows the rear to rotate into a corner before you get on the gas, and could be amplified by a 2-way rear differential. All of that just destabilizes the rear before accelerating, which is akin to having a rear-biased setup that will destabilize the rear on acceleration only. If it's power-on oversteer you're after, it's very difficult to find in our cars. Our diff sucks.

If you have the Adelia, use it on a stock center diff and find a different way to get the results you want. The Adelia is essentially untunable. You can remove some ball bearings to mess with the preload a bit, but you cannot change the front-rear bias of it. Just stay stock if you don't have the coupling.

Edited by CanadianCD9A, 16 October 2017 - 11:38 PM.

CanadianCD9A

CanadianCD9A

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada

Also, I have a question of my own regarding the Adelia coupling. Does anyone know what the number stamped into it means? I thought initially it was a serial number. I see S002 on the one in the pictures above. Adelia's own advertising shows S013 in pictures. I've owned S014, S016 and S018 in the past few years, and sold them all to the US. I just bought one brand new in the box from Japan, and it is S014 also; it's impossible that it's the same unit as my previous S014. I'm totally confused.

Attached Thumbnails

• 10390214_10152895969134492_4053449739844374956_n.jpg
  • 22524025_10155170922659492_954063870_n.png

Edited by CanadianCD9A, 16 October 2017 - 11:47 PM.

BMGTZ

BMGTZ

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,554 posts
I’ve had a few... two were the same number

Regards the tarmac use of one of these

I could fine no reason For the tarmac to work in the way it’s advertised. It’s just a helical diff. The35/65 bull shit is just s gimmick.

It spins up thef rears when you use it without Vcs because they have less weight loaded

BRIAN

Resurgance

Resurgance

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Thanks CanadianCD9A I have SO15 - From what I can tell it is an amazing bit of kit enabling me on gravel to handbrake turn tightly, but drive well.  Am about to test the one I have like I normally test VCUs - Spin it up in vice at 100rpm and use a 3/4" drive wrench with a constant torque display adapter thingy *SHORT DURATION ONLY* as they heat up, can't do them any good.  I pulled apart a centre diff and put this in the lathe chuck, then drilled and tapped the centre bit, attaching a socket the right fit to give me a female 3/4" drive socket.  The torque thing is a male-female adapter with a digital display.  So far at 100rpm I have got between 90nm-190nm out of 12 odd couplers.  Best factory ones were 200nm i have 2 of those, and then last one I tested just about squashed my hand against side of lathe, it was 270nm, and turns out it had faint engraving on it, RALLIART! boom. 

Anyway haven't yet but will test the mechanical one later today or tomorrow.  

My biggest fear at the moment is that I have cooked it.  In the last rally I had 3 unrelated incidences (water sucked in broken breather, clutch master on fritz and possible broken front lsd diff) and at last service I couldn't touch gearbox it was SO HOT.  Anyway on last stage had 2 completely random spins through what felt like unpredictable drive.

Have looked into getting a couple made from local firms but they are making the wrong kind of noises about the machines needed for splines etc.

Anyone got any info about;

1) tweaking these bad boys for preload and is it a single setting for preload only or does changing it affect lock and unlock together?  How is it done etc.

2) How can I figure out if its cooked, what signs am I looking for and can I simply make new plates?

3) whatever else.......

Thanks in advance

Resurgance

Resurgance

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

BMGTZ or CanadianCD9A can you help with photos of coupler component?

Mine had really slack hookup basically no drive to rear wheels it looks like.

Pulled it apart and from the expanding ballbearing side rather than the needle bearing side, there was a grinding paste stuff (collapsed component?) 

I have ball bearing plate, then what looks like a thick conical spring washer maybe 3.5mm thick then the grinding paste stuff then the main friction plate with the funny symmetrical pattern on it.

What should I have between the expanding ball bearing 'wedge' plate and the main friction plate?

Thanks

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users