Welcome to 4GTuner
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Forum Upgrade

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

Poll: How would you like the forum to look? (19 member(s) have cast votes)

How would you like the forum to look?

1. Simple (33 votes [42.86%])

Percentage of vote: 42.86%

2. Busy (1 votes [1.30%])

Percentage of vote: 1.30%

3. Dark (8 votes [10.39%])

Percentage of vote: 10.39%

4. Light (9 votes [11.69%])

Percentage of vote: 11.69%

5. Greyscale (Black and White) (2 votes [2.60%])

Percentage of vote: 2.60%

6. Colourful (4 votes [5.19%])

Percentage of vote: 5.19%

7. Fixed Width (same width regardless of screen resolution) (3 votes [3.90%])

Percentage of vote: 3.90%

8. Fluid Width (the wider your screen, the wider the forum) (17 votes [22.08%])

Percentage of vote: 22.08%

Vote Guests cannot vote

jase

jase

Ye Olde Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,337,374 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, SA
Hi everyone,

Just a quick post to give everyone a heads up. In the near future (I'd like to think that we can get everything organised and sorted within a month rather than let it drag out) we will be making a few changes around here.

Most importantly, we will be changing web host. Given that we have had many problems with our current host over the years we hope that the new agreement we have will work for us all. The idea is that our security will be better, we will receive daily backups, meaning that is something was to be exploited we would lose a lot less posts/pm's/etc, and our support will be better too (faster, and a little bit more educated). It's something that we have wanted to do for quite some time but to get the goods you need money and to get the money we've needed to save every cent from our Sponsors and our Donating Members. (Thank you to everyone who has contributed!)

Secondly, when we upgraded to vBulletin, it was intended to be a long term upgrade. No redesign's, no major upgrades for as long as we could. Unfortunately though, the owners of vBulletin, Jelsoft have created vBulletin 4, and given us an absolutely lousy discount to a very expensive product. We just simply don't have the money to get better hosting and stay up to date with vBulletin.

Long story short, it's time for another upgrade. I have been researching our options for months now. For those interested, we will be changing to Invision Power Board. IPB gives us a lot of new features, including a proper Gallery, Download Center, and even a Blog function. Whether or not we will be using all of these features is yet to be seen, but more options can't be a bad thing.

To me, there are a lot of positives here, however I like change. Evidently last time we made a big change it wasn't so well received. My greatest concern here is that people feel as though I or the rest of the Admin/Mod Team has some sort of ulterior motive here, hence this thread.

I would hope that the biggest "negative" to come of this upgrade is that there is a new design to get used to. I hope to use a design that is simple to use, yet offer the full functionality of the software that we are paying for. I have attached a poll to this thread which will hopefully help to provide a look and feel that our members want. (Keep in mind though, it's impossible to please everyone).

Anyway, that is a good start on what is to come. As things unfold I'll try and keep you all posted with where we are at, address any questions, and let you know any key dates with the upgrade.

Cheers,
Jase.

JiMi

JiMi

VR4 and Cordia nut

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
will there be an overlap period or will it be a matter of we log in one day and bang there it is?

jase

jase

Ye Olde Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,337,374 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, SA
I'll have a development forum running for a while just to test everything and make sure it's all working, but if we run both of them side by side we won't have all of the posts on one forum.

Basically once it's up and running I'll stop the current forum from allowing any new posts/threads, and enable the new forum, then update our nameservers. For 90% of people it should mean about 2-3 hours downtime, however nameservers are a funny thing. They can (rare) take up to 48 hours to change.

With me currently being in Canada it's actually a bonus to you guys. If I do the work in the morning for the change (start around 12am Melbourne time) ideally most of you won't experience any downtime at all.

Evo-00x

Evo-00x

4G63T AWD CC COUPE

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,151 posts
  • LocationNewcastle
An evolving forum is a good forum.
Hopefully the new one comes with a better search function for the newbies :P
Jase, you post whore! lol
AWD. 2 Litre. GTX3076R 0.82.
330kw atw @ 28psi 98 pump fuel.

372kw atw @ 28psi E85 Flexfuel.
EVOLVED AWD COUPE
WWW.EVOCOUPE.NET

Qik-1.8

Qik-1.8

Formally known as 347-dis

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts
  • LocationNorth Brisbane

An evolving forum is a good forum.
Hopefully the new one comes with a better search function for the newbies :P
Jase, you post whore! lol

i agree with you mate a better search function

CLuTZ

CLuTZ

Diamonds are forever....

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,120 posts
  • LocationMelbourne VIC
I'd just like to say a big thanks to jase for his time making this forum run, even while he's on his O.E!! Thanks to your mrs too, for understanding! :P

Also thanks to all of those who have donated and of course our sponsors- this place wouldn't be the same if it wasn't for you guys. Every cent helps.....!

Looking forward to the site getting better and stronger as far as security is concerned. As time goes on and technology changes, there's always the need for updating, upgrading and keep 4Gtuner kosher.

Onwards and upwards! :)

dre

JiMi

JiMi

VR4 and Cordia nut

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
need a "like" button for posts like that ;)

jase

jase

Ye Olde Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,337,374 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, SA
Thanks Dre, it's great to have the support.

Kozminska123

Kozminska123

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • LocationMelbourne,Victoria
Hey There Jase, my names Jason too :thumbsup:

Im currently running the Protongtiforums and i am using Quadra to host the forums for me, the prices are very good,the support is fantastic and backups are done everynight so restores can be done with ease....

take a look here ive been quite happy with them

http://www.quadrahosting.com.au/

just my 2 cents

Cheers
Jason

jase

jase

Ye Olde Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,337,374 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, SA
Thanks Jason,

I think I have the hosting sorted but will keep it in mind.

Cheers,
Jase.

GSRSOL

GSRSOL

Bird Nerd

• Administrators
  • 8,319 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
Considering the feedback we received last time things were reshuffled I would have thought more people would have wanted an opinion here!

These upgrades are happening in the near future so if you want to have a say now is the time :)
Dan | Melbourne | 1994 CD5A / CE9A / E39A bastard child
special thanks to - TRIKFAB | Tropic Motors | Springy Motors

Entaran

Entaran

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,215 posts
  • LocationBallarat, Victoria
Good luck and hope it works for you.

Only request, if you decide to go with a dark theme can you have an optional inverted light theme? I have serious issues reading white on black in small fonts.
The 4G63 motor code is street shorthand for dominance. It's automotive Darwinism.

Team4G Founder - NO LONGER AN ADMIN/MOD

evopwr

evopwr

[DIY]

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,283 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
simple & colourful = awsome!
---

4G63t, AWD, Widebody

Posted Image

---

Evo-00x

Evo-00x

4G63T AWD CC COUPE

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,151 posts
  • LocationNewcastle
Something with very unobtrusive colours would be good (much like current colour scheme).
That way when some of us have the forum open on our screens at work it doesnt attract too much attention lol

EVOLVED AWD COUPE
WWW.EVOCOUPE.NET

jase

jase

Ye Olde Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,337,374 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, SA

That way when some of us have the forum open on our screens at work it doesnt attract too much attention lol

:lol:

Given that we have only had this design for a short period of time, I think it will use fairly similar colours, it will probably just be a touch lighter.

jase

jase

Ye Olde Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,337,374 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, SA
So a simple and fluid width design are the clear winners here.

Upgrade is currently scheduled for the 30th of July. If you come to the forum and can't access anything it means that things are underway. For most people you won't even experience any downtime (assuming everything goes to plan), however for some it make take up to 48 hours to see the new site.

I've deliberately planned it over a weekend anyway, which is typically less busy than weekdays anyway.

jase

jase

Ye Olde Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,337,374 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, SA
See you on the other side fellas! :)

to4garret

to4garret

Uses thread locker.

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,466 posts
  • LocationPerth, WA
is this thing running yet?

jase

jase

Ye Olde Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,337,374 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, SA
You'll know when it is - hopefully by the time you wake up in the morning it will be. :)

Evo-00x

Evo-00x

4G63T AWD CC COUPE

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,151 posts
  • LocationNewcastle
oooh... I just saw a sneak peek of it just a few moments ago during testing.
There was lots of boobies and nude women and something about signing up for gold memberships to view the full adult content :) sweeeeet :thumbsup:

EVOLVED AWD COUPE
WWW.EVOCOUPE.NET

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users