Welcome to 4GTuner
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

VR4 Powered GSR

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
309 replies to this topic

jake

jake

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • LocationSunshine Coast
New parts

Posted Image

jake

jake

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • LocationSunshine Coast
Few new pics after the weekends work

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

ted

ted

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts
  • LocationWodonga VIC
Looking beautiful!!! Really taking shape!!!

jake

jake

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • LocationSunshine Coast
I have just realize that it hase been over 10months since I've posed anything on this build.

Well no more work has take place since then but have been purchasing may parts for the completion of the build.

Since thern I bought what I thought was a evo rear mechanical LSD from a Japanese Importer only to later find out while about to install it, that is was a Viscous Type. I had purchased it in a package evo3 gearbox with viscous type front LSD, evo 3 transfer case and rear diff that was meant to be mechanical, as I didnt have viscous rear shafts. This has since really annoyed as now I haven’t had much success chasing up a mechanical rear LSD Diff.

Purchased parts include:
  • evo 4 front hubs and knuckles
  • evo 4 rear hubs and knuckles
  • evo 4 front control arms
  • evo 8 brembos front and rear
  • evo 5 brake master cylinder
  • Apexi Avcr
Ive decided to do a brembo conversion with evo 5 stud conversion and internal drum hand brake setup.

I will sell my 3000gt setup that includes...
  • Front and rear Calipers with brand new bendex ulitmate pads front and rear, (They have been cleaned and painted, Rears have been rebuilt)
  • Front and Rear Rotors (Plenty of meat left)
  • Front and rear Adaptor Brackets ( Rear Brackets designed to mount onto gsr/evo rear trailing arms, front to bolt onto TR/TS Magna 5 stud hubs and Knuckles)
  • front Mitsubishi Magna TR TS knuckles and hubs.
(Note: to finish this kit requires brake lines, and rear to be redilled from 4-5 stud)
(Factory hand brake can no longer be used either.)
(I do have a Mitsubishi Magna TR/TS drum hand brake setup that I was trying to develop for it however have never had the time to finish it)(I'll post this up in the for sale thread or ebay when the time comes)

Will be selling soon if anyone is interested.

I am also thinking of a changing wheels, so if any one is interested I have a set fo 4 evo 7 factory wheels, 17x8+38 that I will be selling. They are in excellent condition and freshly powercoated Satin Black. They have Band new never driven on Fedreal RSR Semi slicks 215x45 R17 on them and will sell with or without the rims. (I'll post this up in the for sale thread or ebay when the time comes refer to the above pics)

I have also been talking to Miles from AM Auto, who builds some pretty awesome subarus and specialize in custom conversions and fabrication (just done my brothers EJ257 2.5 L sti engine in his version 6 GC8 STI) and he is pritty keen to finish the car off for me.

This includes building the head with 272 dgree cams, Garrett GTX3076r series turbo setup, and Haltec Platinum ECU. Hopefully when my daily driver BMW sells this work can go ahead.

I am still chasing,
  • evo rear mechanical LSD diff and
  • Evo 2/3 front swaybar that mounts to the coilover shocks rather than the front control arms

These Parts are required so I can get the car off the jackstands and back rolling again

If anyone has these parts for sale or knows where to source some could you please let me know. (I do have a tight budget (being a University student) at the moment but any help it much appreciated)

Pictures below are of the recent purchases.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Below are some Pics of the Dayly Driver BMW 320 Ci :cool:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

For sale Really soon to fund the GSR Build.

Hopefully once the bmw Sells and I've saved up a bit more more work can proceed and we can get the gsr running again.

Edited by jake, 25 May 2012 - 02:57 AM.

ENGINR

ENGINR

Wannabe Racer

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,061 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
Driving a new Beamer as a daily and you "have a tight budget (being a University student)"!?

Wow!! :P

GSR rebuild looks really good btw - am impressed with the level of detail going into everything.
‎"I got an idea, an idea so smart my head would explode if I even began to know what I was talking about." - Peter Griffin

Evo-00x

Evo-00x

4G63T AWD CC COUPE

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,151 posts
  • LocationNewcastle
Great update Jake.
Nice Beamer too.... good to see that GSR > BMW in your priority list :)
Would be keen to see the GTO brake setup.
AWD. 2 Litre. GTX3076R 0.82.
330kw atw @ 28psi 98 pump fuel.

372kw atw @ 28psi E85 Flexfuel.
EVOLVED AWD COUPE
WWW.EVOCOUPE.NET

jake

jake

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • LocationSunshine Coast

Driving a new Beamer as a daily and you "have a tight budget (being a University student)"!?

Wow!! :P

GSR rebuild looks really good btw - am impressed with the level of detail going into everything.

Im just half way through a bachlor of engineering but studying part time. Work full time and a Structural Engineering firm so gratefully not as poor as a traditional university student. I just try to put a few pennys away each week and save for things. (thank heavens for ebay :thumbsup: )

The bmw was one of the impuse buy, the old commo i had was clapped out and just so happend to have the wheels and springs off it and they happened fitted on the bmw.

Thankyou if it turns out half as good as Dougmo's Evo I would be stoked.

Great update Jake.
Nice Beamer too.... good to see that GSR > BMW in your priority list :)
Would be keen to see the GTO brake setup.

The gsr was my first turbo car and always number 1 :)

Originally I bought 3000gt front and rears and then realized the hand brake setup was completely different so modified and fitted a hydraulic handbrake setup with a willwood bake proportion valve. (which actually worked) I had all the brackets made up and used the magna 5 stud front knuckles and redrilled the rears to 5 stud. I also redid every in car and under car line and removed abs setup and had braided lines made up.

I got my hands on a magna TR/TS drum hand brake setup to see if the 3000gt rotors would fit over the drum assembly which it did quite snugly.
The width of the drum assembly was less that the distance between the face of the trailing arm and the back of the hub that the rotor sat on. The only thing different was the bolt spacings for the drum to the trailing arm. I figured that with modifying the caliper bracket and re-drilling the base plate that it would bolt up to the trailing arm and the rotor would sit over the top.

I never got that far to try however the 3000gt setup looked like it fitted quite well.

The evo 7 wheels cleared the calipers and needs a higher offset wheel to clear. Im not to sure if anyone else had either tried doing a drum setup for a 3000gt rear end on a cc gsr, however later model evo drum setups can be used with rear brembo conversions so I can’t see how it couldn’t be done with a bit of modifying.

You can see them on the car if you take a look at a few of my previous pictures earlier on in the thread. If I had some spare time I would be interested to finish it off.

Qik-1.8

Qik-1.8

Formally known as 347-dis

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts
  • LocationNorth Brisbane
nice update bro hurry up and finish it

jake

jake

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • LocationSunshine Coast

nice update bro hurry up and finish it

Ah yess Grant, hopefully before all the good work rusts away,

Miles, Lucus's Brother that owns AM Auto in Noosa will be getting it running again soon hopefully. We are looking at ditching the Garret GT2860Rs and upgrading to a Garret GTX 3076R series. Also looking at dictching the existing Haltech E6x and running a new Haltech Platinum series or Mircotech LT10C, the loom needs redoing it would make sence to do it with a new ecu. Maybe a Racepak digital dash if funds permit :)

Once we know it runs again and all the bugs ironed out, since the bottom ends already forged we will pull the head of and put the jasma jp 272 degree cams in with aftermarket springs and retainer kit. New lifters and oversized valves while giving the head a bit of a port and polish to match the JM Fabrications intake plenum and that steam pipe exhust manifold. We will still use the Tomei Cam gears and Gates Timeing bet again.

Oh and possible E85 conversion.

Well thats the plan but kinda need the bmw to sell first. Starting to feel the GSR love again :P

I will need a new dayly driver. Any Ideas? Mx83 Cressida? EK Honda civic? Gen 3 subaru outback? I dont know.

Just a pic of the stuff thats going back in, DC5 Integra Recaros, ally radiator and thermo, Intercooler, camshafts and parts in the boxes. (not tv)

Posted Image

And pic of the dash

Posted Image

jake

jake

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • LocationSunshine Coast
After returning from WTAC, I found some motivation to work on the car.

I started to pull of the exhaust manifold, Garret GT28RS turbo, Dump Pipe and Cold air intake and cleaning them up for sale. I'll be putting this up for sale as a complete package the following weeks in the classifies.

I am basically at the stage now selling my old turbo setup and 5 stud conversion and 3000gt brake setup and the e46 BMW 320ci to fund the gsr build.

Miles and Al from AM Auto are pritty keen to start the next stage of the build that include a new custom steam pipe exhaust manifold, Garret GT 3076R, Coil on plug conversion, Haltech Platinum ECU, E85 conversion fuel cell etc. I also purchased another 4g63 head with BC1mm over sized valves inlet and exhust, BC springs with 3mm lifters and have just also purchased BC 272 cams, BC titanium Retainers, Viston valve stem seals and Supertech Valve guides. These will all be installed once in the workshop.

Below are some quick pics from the weekends work, Before anyone says why do you have an external gate and internally gated turbo?, its because I was originally going to weld the gate flap shut on the turbo and not run an internal gate however since im selling it all some one else can work out which way they want to run it. I was just test fitting it to see if a factory radiator would fit running thermos on the front with the internally gated actuator.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by jake, 20 August 2012 - 03:16 AM.

Qik-1.8

Qik-1.8

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts
  • LocationNorth Brisbane
about time we gets some updates mate

nigel_a

nigel_a

YR2SLO

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, QLD
hey dude im interested in that setup!

111GSR

111GSR

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • LocationSydney South West
Im liking this :)

jake

jake

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • LocationSunshine Coast
Old Turbo setup

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Old Fuel pump and Surge Tank

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

jake

jake

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • LocationSunshine Coast
Had a few hours spare after work so started to modify the radiator to fit. I had to grind off all the factory fans mounting points on the lower tank to squeeze it in. Thermos fans will be run on the front. Hopefully ill have a LSD rear Diff soon so the car can get back on the deck. Attached are a few pics of the gsr and the bmw, The bmw is officially for sale on gumtree and carsales. Oh and also before I forget I became a Life time member of 4gtuner tonight as well :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

jake

jake

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • LocationSunshine Coast
I had a productive weekend working on the car, and a few successful wins on ebay with purchasing a few new parts.

Most of the weekend was doing the new power steering cooler setup, this has been done because the factory cold pipe is in the road of where the front mount inter cooler is going so i had to pull out some existing lines and fabricate some ally brackets. will post up pics soon.

I also purchased a few new parts as well

-4g63 Coil on plug conversion from America,
-x2 Bosch 044 fuel pumps
-dual pump bracket
- AN6 braided fuel Line
-Various An6 fittings for fuel lines

All these parts should be here in the next few days or weeks so should keep me going for a bit. Basically the fuel system is been upgraded so that it e85 can be used once it comes to our petrol stations where I am from. I already have 800cc injectors so hopefully they will be big enough.

We are basically copying the same fuel system off AM Autos 600hp GC8 impreza wrx. I really like the surge tank setup all the lines are under the car so reduces the smell of fuel simple clean and functional.

Finally hes a pic of my brothers Version 6 STI, it has just had a new EJ 257 2.5L out of the new STI fitted with version 6 heads with cams. Apparently this is quite a common conversion in America and the car goes hard, additionally it has an aftermarket bosch fuel pump 3 inch custom exhaust and dump pipe, parallel fuel rail setup and king springs with bilstein shocks. We are waiting for him to save up some more money to complete the build with a reverse flipped font mount inter cooler setup and Apexi Power FC. AM did this conversion of a nother GC8 which saw 220 kw's at all four wheels.

Posted Image
Power Steering Cooler

Posted Image
New Bosch 044 Fuel Pumps and Bracket

Posted Image
Coil on Plug Conversion

Posted Image
Jet099 GC8 Fuel System

Posted Image
Jet099 GC8 Fuel System

Posted Image
My Brothers Version 6 STI

jake

jake

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • LocationSunshine Coast
Just went though my old computer and some old pics from when I baught the car.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Im pritty sure this was its last pic before we pulled it apart......

Posted Image

Old Vs New, New is not quite finished but its a hell of a lot tidyer and pitty well, the only things added will the the coil on plug, Intercooler Pipeing, Engine Loom, overflow bottle, fabricated airbox and 4pt strut brace.

Qik-1.8

Qik-1.8

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts
  • LocationNorth Brisbane
very old pics mate haha but does look better

jake

jake

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • LocationSunshine Coast

very old pics mate haha but does look better

Cheers Grant

brisvr4

brisvr4

• Moderators
  • 4,486 posts
  • LocationBrisbane - Southside
Looking good mate.
For E85 i would ditch the 800's. they will be too small.

Tim
Dsmlink V3 + E85 :drool: 11.37 @ 131.46 ... still more in her

Remember Kids... Google does not equal research!

Magnus
How much time do you spend in a parking lot with your performance car? If you do a lot of parking lot driving, and hang out in parking lots, chances are you are a ricer, go home and read import tuner. If you’re complaining about noise you should not be modifying your car. You should also consider no longer being a man, please hand in your genitals at the door.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users