Welcome to 4GTuner
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Leaky Yoke fix - big pics!

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

brisvr4

brisvr4

• Moderators
  • 4,486 posts
  • LocationBrisbane - Southside
Hi guys,

I decided to see what could be done to seal up my leaking yoke once and for all without having to fork out the $44 for the yoke and uni + $60US shipping for a factory revised yoke and uni joint shipped to me from Extremepsi! :thumbsup:
I found that with the other yoke that is one the car already (and leaking) that just smearing liquid steel on the back of the yoke doesn't seem to be a long term solution as it only lasted 2 years or so...

This is what I came up with...
I found that once you remove the metal plug that Mitsubishi saw fit to use to seal the yoke the first time it is a fairly simple case of sealing everything up to be safe then driving a 28mm welsh plug in.
The 28mm plug is pretty much a perfect fit for the inside of the yoke and there is a nice flat edge for it to seal up against.
This looks a lot like what Mitsubishi seems to have come up with for their revised yoke.

I made sure everything was spotless in there then I ran a decent bead of silicone round the top of the splines in the yoke and i spread more onto the dome of the welsh plug. This way when the plug is driven in there are no small gaps made by the splines allowing any oil to leak.

Once I had driven in the welsh plug and made sure it was seated nicely I cleaned off the top of it and coated the edge where it joins the yoke with Liquid steel ( cold weld actually ).
This was to be doubly certain that it won't leak!!
Of course if it does end up leaking (I doubt it highly) then I will buckle and spend $100 on a Mitsubishi yoke!

Ok, on to the procedure with pics...

1. Use a socket extension to drive out the old metal plug

Posted Image

2. This is the back of the yoke with the plug removed

Posted Image

3. This is the crap metal plug and the new shiny brass welsh plug!

Posted Image

4. Welsh plug just prior to being pounded to death!

Posted Image

5. Welsh plug driven home into the yoke.

Posted Image

6. Outside of welsh plug safety sealed with Cold weld.

Posted Image

7. Inside of yoke showing where I sealed the end with silicone.

Posted Image

Tim
Dsmlink V3 + E85 :drool: 11.37 @ 131.46 ... still more in her

Remember Kids... Google does not equal research!

Magnus
How much time do you spend in a parking lot with your performance car? If you do a lot of parking lot driving, and hang out in parking lots, chances are you are a ricer, go home and read import tuner. If you’re complaining about noise you should not be modifying your car. You should also consider no longer being a man, please hand in your genitals at the door.

bazeng

bazeng

Gday maaaate

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,899 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
Great work Tim!

I know how annoying it can be.

I did a similar thing with no luck!!!
It still leaked!

Hopefully yours works!

My yoke was royally rooted though. The outer dust cover was loose and would rattle constantly!

I purchsed a new one from MITSU KNOX (SIVART)
It was over night also!

Anyway, as soon as I fixed it, my gearbox broke! LOL

brisvr4

brisvr4

• Moderators
  • 4,486 posts
Did you pop the metal out and replace it with a welsh plug as well Barry?
I might have to get a genuine one from the States just in case!

Tim

Magnus
How much time do you spend in a parking lot with your performance car? If you do a lot of parking lot driving, and hang out in parking lots, chances are you are a ricer, go home and read import tuner. If you’re complaining about noise you should not be modifying your car. You should also consider no longer being a man, please hand in your genitals at the door.

turbovr4

turbovr4

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • LocationAspley Qld
ah ,well that explains the mystery oil leak i've had for months even after i changed the perfectly good oil seal on the transfer output and checked the yoke for wear , all was good but still leaked.also only leaked after i changed the uni joints so i must have disturbed that plug.

youda

youda

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • LocationTownsville
Is there a reason for a plug to be necissary on the yoke? just wonderinging if mine started leaking if i could just lathe up a plug and weld it in?
Dane and Daves dodgy deals and rare spares.
Oil lights are like oven alarms......they tell you when it's cooked
Green GSR.......sold VR4 AMG........sold Grey GSR still under the house.

to4garret

to4garret

Uses thread locker.

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,466 posts
  • LocationPerth, WA
youda,

i think if you weld where the plug is, you will weaken (brittle) the race the roller bearings sit in (Uni Joint part).

you could probably heat it red a few times afterwards with a oxy and.... i forget which one it is, either leave to cool or dunk it in water.

to4garret

to4garret

Uses thread locker.

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,466 posts
  • LocationPerth, WA
might get away with brazing something in there though.

JiMi

JiMi

VR4 and Cordia nut

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
if you have to smak the welsh plug in hard it would suprise me if it leaked, espicially since they hold quite a few psi in in the water jacket and dont leak and all that holds them there is a snug fit as well...

but if you must braizing would be your best bet.. dont nead much heat for that.... but the time it spread out to your bearings they would get no hotter that a hard drive on a hot day

brisvr4

brisvr4

• Moderators
  • 4,486 posts
So I had the new yoke fitted yesterday and took the old girl to the drags last night.
Just crawled under the car to check for leaks and.... Nothing! Seal is holding up perfectly so far. Will keep this updated though...

Tim

Magnus

milkandoj

milkandoj

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationPerth
Hows this going. i might have to do the same:rolleyes:
99% home built for a life time warranty. Engine now needing repair under 'warranty'

brisvr4

brisvr4

• Moderators
  • 4,486 posts
Still no leaks at all! Working great so far.

Tim

Magnus

milkandoj

milkandoj

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationPerth
Anything you would do differently if doing it again?

Looks like a good job you did there. Ill give it a crack if not luck ill get a new one. All i need is a few dollar welsh plug, got all the sealants anyway.
99% home built for a life time warranty. Engine now needing repair under 'warranty'

brisvr4

brisvr4

• Moderators
  • 4,486 posts
Not really Gerard, I'd probably smear the liquid steel on a little neater if anything! Don't forget to clean everything with brake cleaner several times first!

Tim

Magnus

zen4G63

zen4G63

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • LocationHobart, Tas
Best way I found is to copper weld the plug in and with the oxy the copper wire just flows all around the plug sealing it in... Don't be shy with the weld as it's only copper and can be filed...

Mine hasn't leaked for 5 years or so now....

Just another way

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users