Welcome to 4GTuner
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Early EVO tuning package

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
118 replies to this topic

twdorris

twdorris

ECMTuning, Inc.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationFrederick, MD - USA

has any one bought one of these?

On this board, I don't think so. Seems like Canada is a popular area for some reason. I think they've started to import the early EVOs fairly recently.

Thomas Dorris

BMGTZ

BMGTZ

Grumpy old man from the school of hard knocks

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,554 posts
  • Locationsouthside of perth WA
well..... i am going to give them a try.

BRIAN
Black evo 1 full road rego and done properly/legally

I have heaps of parts...but never the one I need.

twdorris

twdorris

ECMTuning, Inc.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

well..... i am going to give them a try.

Well, just let me know what you find missing in terms of functionality. This is basically an ECUFlash type application for the early EVOs, just with faster, integrated logging and some additional features in the ECU Config area. If you're familiar with that program on your EVO8, then this should be pretty natural for you. But we're always looking for ideas to improve things.

Just keep in mind that we do have to balance the feature set against our "full package". We can port the full feature set over to the early EVOs if there's interest, but until then, we're trying to find a happy compromise that gets you everything you really need to do tuning without paying the extra money for features you don't. That's the gap the "V3Lite" package is intended to fill.

Thomas Dorris
ECMTuning, Inc.

milkandoj

milkandoj

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationPerth

Good to see you here Thomas. :)
I'm running Ecmlink V3 in the VR4 and I Love it guys.

Are you running a vr4 ecu or are you using an evo 1-3 ecu?

Basicly im asking if this works on vr4 single board ecu's?
Or even and 808 ecu as its the closest thing to an evo 1-3 ecu.

twdorris

twdorris

ECMTuning, Inc.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Are you running a vr4 ecu or are you using an evo 1-3 ecu?

Tim is running our full V3 package in his single-board VR4 ECU. It's all the same code base, just a different ECU. We do not have V3Lite available for the VR4 ECU yet. We're working on it.

Thomas Dorris

Entaran

Entaran

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,215 posts
  • LocationBallarat, Victoria
So if someone wanted to order one of these for a VR4, they'd just order a v3full for a 90-94 dsm and it'll come with the factory fuel maps and the like already on it?

Is it truly plug and play? (After socketting of course) for a single board ecu?
The 4G63 motor code is street shorthand for dominance. It's automotive Darwinism.

Team4G Founder - NO LONGER AN ADMIN/MOD

Entaran

Entaran

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,215 posts
Ignore my 2nd question, I'm reading your wiki now.
The 4G63 motor code is street shorthand for dominance. It's automotive Darwinism.

brisvr4

brisvr4

• Moderators
  • 4,486 posts
  • LocationBrisbane - Southside

So if someone wanted to order one of these for a VR4, they'd just order a v3full for a 90-94 dsm and it'll come with the factory fuel maps and the like already on it?

Yes Lorrie. When you order the package you specify your injector type etc and it arrives with a basic setup already done.
Fine tuning is all you really need to do and that is very easy as well.
I plugged mine in and checked the settings then started the car with no problem, didn't have to change a thing!

Tim
Dsmlink V3 + E85 :drool: 11.37 @ 131.46 ... still more in her

Remember Kids... Google does not equal research!

Magnus
How much time do you spend in a parking lot with your performance car? If you do a lot of parking lot driving, and hang out in parking lots, chances are you are a ricer, go home and read import tuner. If you’re complaining about noise you should not be modifying your car. You should also consider no longer being a man, please hand in your genitals at the door.

BMGTZ

BMGTZ

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,554 posts
Ive just placed an order for two.....however one wont get used for a while.

I will let you all know how things go.......I expect it to be pretty easy from what i have seen.

BRIAN

twdorris

twdorris

ECMTuning, Inc.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Yes. You can then swap the factory maps for something else (like the EVO 8 maps off this page) or tune the maps yourself.

The other alternative is to wait for the V3Lite package for the DSMs to get done (if I ever find the time) and you'll have a cheaper option available that will probably do about everything you need anyway.

The main things the full package has that V3Lite does not are 10,000 RPM limits on everything, customized output controls (for nitrous or meth injection), live RPM-based fuel and timing adjustments (while the engine is running), native GM MAF support, live mass airflow compensation, slightly large speed density VE table support, dual fuel rail support (running more than 4 staged injectors), live switchable maps support, and a few other miscellaneous items.

As for the "live" adjustments, we're working on a solution to that. I basically want to define a way to "move" a working copy of some Direct Access table into RAM so the user can make changes to that table even while the engine is running. But that's just not there yet.

For now, any changes you want to make in the Direct Access area requires a reflash of the ECU and that requires shutting the engine down.

However, any changes you make to the stuff in the ECU Config tab can be made at any time. The requirement to shut the engine off is just for stuff in the Direct Access area.

Hope that helps,

Thomas Dorris
ECMTuning, Inc.

Edited by twdorris, 28 October 2009 - 10:15 AM.

Entaran

Entaran

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,215 posts
I'm going to have to order a package for FIC 650's relatively soon. Have to talk to daz from ffwd too. I'm totally sick of dealing with extremepsi and the other moron us parts suppliers who charge 77820203 dollars to ship a button to australia via seafreight and ten times the amount for a turbo via airfreight.

twdorris

twdorris

ECMTuning, Inc.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

and the other moron us parts suppliers who charge 77820203 dollars to ship a button to australia via seafreight and ten times the amount for a turbo via airfreight.

LOL. I can see how that might be a problem for you guys...

FWIW, we charge whatever USPS charges us, nothing more. For a 1lb package to Australia, that's somewhere around $20-$25 for Express Mail (EMS). Priority mail is also an option and probably runs $15 or so. You can get exact pricing by placing a package in your cart and starting to checkout on our site. The first page you come to in the check out process (after having logged in) will be a shipping cost page.

EDIT: Hmmm...my numbers may be off on the shipping estimates. We don't ship to Australia often. I just checked for a 1lb package. EMS service (5 days) runs about $30. Priority mail (6-10 days) runs about $25. We just recently added priority as an option because people were asking for it. But I don't have much experience with it yet. I do know that EMS service provides fast customs clearance and reasonably good tracking. I do not know about international priority.

Thomas Dorris

Edited by twdorris, 28 October 2009 - 11:14 AM.

BMGTZ

BMGTZ

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,554 posts
EDIT: Hmmm...my numbers may be off on the shipping estimates. We don't ship to Australia often. I just checked for a 1lb package. EMS service (5 days) runs about $30. Priority mail (6-10 days) runs about $25. We just recently added priority as an option because people were asking for it. But I don't have much experience with it yet. I do know that EMS service provides fast customs clearance and reasonably good tracking. I do not know about international priority.

Thomas Dorris[/QUOTE]

Thomas, your post cost for two sent to me was very reasonable....i think it was 38usd or so.

BRIAN

Entaran

Entaran

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,215 posts
That's a nice shipping price. :)

I quoted a pair of camshafts from extremepsi yesterday and it was something like $146 USD. For camshafts. Really.

BMGTZ

BMGTZ

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,554 posts

That's a nice shipping price. :)

I quoted a pair of camshafts from extremepsi yesterday and it was something like $146 USD. For camshafts. Really.

I got quotes for acl bearings recently....bearings 125 and postage 100usd:lol:

BRIAN

BMGTZ

BMGTZ

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,554 posts
the two I ordered turned up last week while i was up the bush. Ive had the ecu mods done on a spare ecu.......let the fun begin this weekend!!! any tips anyone has would be most welcome

BRIAN

iluszn

iluszn

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Victoria
Hey Thomas. Good to see you on the Forums. We have spoken on many occassions.

If anyone is considering the chip and worried about tuning, I have a contact that tunes all late model evo's and has had much success.

His name is Matt Lowth (from gsr-evo-club). I would contact him to organise a tune..

What is the new DSMLink worth Thomas?

CLuTZ

CLuTZ

Diamonds are forever....

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,120 posts
  • LocationMelbourne VIC
I'm going to be purchasing one of these for christmas, if anyone in melbs is interested in saving on shipping and ordering together!

BMGTZ

BMGTZ

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,554 posts
after doing all the usual checks twice......plugged in and started right up!! it didn't run great but it did run.

a few couple of questions arose......and this leads me to say the support from Tom is fantastic!!! first impressions are very good on the product too.....its going to take a little while for this old bloke to get his head around but Im sure i will get there.

BRIAN

Entaran

Entaran

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,215 posts
Dre, let me know when you're ordering. I'll go you halvies in shipping.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users