Welcome to 4GTuner
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Early EVO tuning package

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
118 replies to this topic

twdorris

twdorris

ECMTuning, Inc.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationFrederick, MD - USA
I wanted to post up that we've released a new product that the early EVO (1-3) guys might be interested in. It's a drop-in reflash module for your EPROM ECUs. This module effectively converts the early EVO ECUs to something more like an EVO8-10 type ECU where you're able to adjust tables and ECU operation directly.

The flash module looks like this.

Posted Image

It basically plugs into an existing EPROM socket. The early EVO ECUs do require one extra modification, though. It's trivial for anyone that can install a socket.

In addition to the standard reflash and direct access functions, we've added a greatly enhanced logging system. This is *not* the factory logging stuff you may be used to with other loggers. This is our own version that we've been using for 10 years on the DSMs. You can expect over 1000 samples per second over the standard diagnostic connector using our molded, fully opto-isolated USB datalogging cable. We've rewritten the entire communication section of the ECU to work the way it should work for a high speed datalogging system.

We've also rescale the timing and fuel tables to provide a more usable range of adjustability (both load and RPM axes) and we've added all the standard RPM controls including launch stutterbox, no-lift-to-shift, target idle RPM and the standard rev limit. You can also dial-in the TPS sensor in seconds, check error codes, flag the check engine light with knock retard gets too high, test solenoid outputs and fan controls, etc., etc.

And, of course, you can dial in different injectors and even run off a wideband! Just feed the wideband kit's output into the front o2 input and then enable the internal narrowband simulation function inside the ECU. Then you can datalog true A/F ratio while running normal closed loop off the native wideband signal.

Last but not least, we've also included a full time speed density option. Ditch the mass airflow sensor entirely and run off a MAP sensor and IAT. Setup is pretty straightforward and there are a couple helper tools to make the final dial-in even easier.

For screen shots and a few more details, hit the following page.

EVO V3Lite screenshots

Let me know what you think.

Thomas Dorris
ECMTuning, Inc.

(2much)

(2much)

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
Where are you located? any idea on costs?
sounds good!

twdorris

twdorris

ECMTuning, Inc.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
Hi there. We're located in the US. Frederick, MD, just north west of Washington, DC. We've been doing this tuning package called DSMLink (now named ECMLink) for about 8 years with several years of personal use before that. It's fairly popular here with the DSM guys, so we thought we'd see if there's interest in a port over to the early EVO platform.

Pricing and more details was provided in that first link of my post. But I realize now that the link wasn't very visible. Sorry about that.

Pricing and ordering information

Thanks,

Thomas Dorris
ECMTuning, Inc.

brisvr4

brisvr4

• Moderators
  • 4,486 posts
  • LocationBrisbane - Southside
Good to see you here Thomas. :)
I'm running Ecmlink V3 in the VR4 and I Love it guys.

Tim
Dsmlink V3 + E85 :drool: 11.37 @ 131.46 ... still more in her

Remember Kids... Google does not equal research!

Magnus
How much time do you spend in a parking lot with your performance car? If you do a lot of parking lot driving, and hang out in parking lots, chances are you are a ricer, go home and read import tuner. If you’re complaining about noise you should not be modifying your car. You should also consider no longer being a man, please hand in your genitals at the door.

WindeX

WindeX

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • LocationMelburn!
I love the look of this system, I contacted you boys a year or two ago about early Evo support and you said it was in the pipeline. I guess for me the only issue is getting a tune done on it as there arent many over here running them.

Very nice work!

jase

jase

Ye Olde Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,337,374 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, SA

I guess for me the only issue is getting a tune done on it as there arent many over here running them.

I predict this will change pretty quickly!:thumbsup:

dvscoupe

dvscoupe

Engine Rebuild Time

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts
WOW :blink:

reading your website I see some positives from this.

you will be hearing from me real soon :thumbsup:

brisvr4

brisvr4

• Moderators
  • 4,486 posts
If anyone in Brisbane wants to see this system in action I am more than happy to show you guys.
Once my new clutch is in :)

Tim

Magnus
How much time do you spend in a parking lot with your performance car? If you do a lot of parking lot driving, and hang out in parking lots, chances are you are a ricer, go home and read import tuner. If you’re complaining about noise you should not be modifying your car. You should also consider no longer being a man, please hand in your genitals at the door.

twdorris

twdorris

ECMTuning, Inc.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

I guess for me the only issue is getting a tune done on it as there arent many over here running them.

The idea is to be able to tune it yourself. We have built-in torque and HP estimates if you want to work off that (calculated mainly inside the ECU). Or you can just dial for safety watching the knock sensor and/or making drag strip passes.

The tuning side of things is pretty "standard" these days, though. So any shop that's familiar with ECUFlash for the late model EVOs could pick this up in a couple minutes.

Thomas Dorris
ECMTuning, Inc.

twdorris

twdorris

ECMTuning, Inc.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Good to see you here Thomas.

Hey, Tim! Tom is fine, BTW. Glad to see you here too! I was wondering how that GVR4 was doing. Glad to see it has access to some E85. That's good stuff.

Thomas Dorris
ECMTuning, Inc.

twdorris

twdorris

ECMTuning, Inc.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

reading your website I see some positives from this.

One of the things that might not be clear from the screenshots is how tightly coupled the logger is with the tuning side of things. But that's actually one of the nicer features here. For example, as you're logging the engine or as you are reviewing a saved log file, you can have any of the larger tables do a "live selection" type thing to show where the ECU was operating in that table at any point in the log file. This selection cursor just tracks the datalog selection as you scroll through the log (or run the engine).

This screenshot illustrates the idea.

http://www.ecmtuning.../liveselect.png

Having the tuning piece tied directly to the logger really makes editing your configuration very easy.

Thomas Dorris
ECMTuning, Inc.

brisvr4

brisvr4

• Moderators
  • 4,486 posts
Thanks Tom.
Since I swapped to your package I've gone from a 12.63 @ 113 to 11.83 @ 120.83 with more to come!
I can't praise V3 enough mate. :)

Tim

Magnus

BMGTZ

BMGTZ

Grumpy old man from the school of hard knocks

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,554 posts
  • Locationsouthside of perth WA
i could be interested in this.......does it stay in the ecu all the time? or can you eventually down load to a chip and move the unit to another ecu

BRIAN
Black evo 1 full road rego and done properly/legally

I have heaps of parts...but never the one I need.

twdorris

twdorris

ECMTuning, Inc.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

or can you eventually down load to a chip and move the unit to another ecu

That's a fair question. The design requires that the chip stay inside the ECU. You can't make a simple EPROM copy of the image because there's a lot more going on inside to make this functionality possible.

For example, the whole datalogging system takes a good 100 bytes or so of free RAM space and the ECU itself simply does not have this available. Not even close. So our flash module is not only adding the reflash functionality, but it's also expanding the RAM capacity of the ECU to support the new functionality. I don't typically mention the RAM expansion because it's not something a typical customer cares about. They only care that it works and does new stuff.

Thomas Dorris

WindeX

WindeX

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • LocationMelburn!
I might give it a shot, do you have any idea on how long the turn around would be to ship you a ECU and get it back to Aus?

twdorris

twdorris

ECMTuning, Inc.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

I might give it a shot, do you have any idea on how long the turn around would be to ship you a ECU and get it back to Aus?

Yikes. Not sure, but it's gotta be easier (cheaper and faster) to find someone there to do the work. It's not too hard as long as they really know what they're doing. You'll want to make sure they don't do work like shown on this page:

http://www.ecmtuning...i/ecurepairhome

And you'll want to make sure they can replace the caps too.

If you want, we can certainly do it. I would have to guess EMS service will run about 30 USD each way (!) and take 3-5 days easy way. We'll get it back out the same day we receive it.

Thomas Dorris
ECMTuning, Inc.

WindeX

WindeX

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • LocationMelburn!

Yikes. Not sure, but it's gotta be easier (cheaper and faster) to find someone there to do the work. It's not too hard as long as they really know what they're doing. You'll want to make sure they don't do work like shown on this page:

http://www.ecmtuning...i/ecurepairhome

And you'll want to make sure they can replace the caps too.

If you want, we can certainly do it. I would have to guess EMS service will run about 30 USD each way (!) and take 3-5 days easy way. We'll get it back out the same day we receive it.

Thomas Dorris
ECMTuning, Inc.

Thats excellent, I dont really have an issue with the time as I have a second car which I can use in the meantime.
Do you guys still do a basic pre-tune on the ECUs based on the parameters customers give you like you did with the DSM link?

twdorris

twdorris

ECMTuning, Inc.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Do you guys still do a basic pre-tune on the ECUs based on the parameters customers give you like you did with the DSM link?

Yes and no. :P

We collect basic information on the order form like which injectors you have and which mass airflow sensor. So the ECU is at least pre-configured for that. But the "tune" is basically stock at first. I did massage the stock EVO3 timing tables, though. Those were just silly on the upper load row. But beyond that, it's mostly stock.

A popular first step for DSM users is to replace the stock fuel and timing tables with versions from the EVO8. We have downloadable maps for that you can just plug in. I actually run those in my Talon for street driving as well as road course duty. I run 25-30psi on a stock block and head (pump gas street and e85 track), so the tables are certainly flexible enough.

Thomas Dorris

WindeX

WindeX

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • LocationMelburn!
Thomas,

Thats excellent news, well work just paid some overtime so expect my order in the not too distant future!

BMGTZ

BMGTZ

Grumpy old man from the school of hard knocks

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,554 posts
  • Locationsouthside of perth WA
has any one bought one of these?

BRIAN
Black evo 1 full road rego and done properly/legally

I have heaps of parts...but never the one I need.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users